Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Marra gets a gig over Hannan. Although a long way off the finish product and will not be there come finals he offers more than Hannan already. It is amazing how Hannan has kept his place in the team I cannot recall one game where he has deserved his place in the team.

This !

If you choose to play Hannan then you play JUH instead.

Did anyone else notice Naughty set himself up for a big pack mark and then realise Marra was in the pack and he decided to stay down out the back? I think it was the second quarter.

So pleased for JUH. A great game. We have a KPF who has a beautiful set shot. It is my dream come true. I’ve been pulling my hair out over Naughton’s kicking.

I didn’t think JUH was ready, his VFL form was average and he didn’t do a hell a lot last week on debut. But I am happy to be proven wrong, and he seems to be a really good kid. It’s only 1 week, but GCS defence was solid so it’s good sign of things to come.

Naughton and JUH in our forward line, geez what a beautiful time to be a bulldogs supporter! If only our midfields would lower the eyes and not bomb it in…(I promise I won’t rant about it here).

Did anyone else notice Naughty set himself up for a big pack mark and then realise Marra was in the pack and he decided to stay down out the back? I think it was the second quarter.
Yes. He pulled out.

Just wanted to say that as a Warrnambool lad I am delighted to see JUH strut his suff. To further get me in your good books, my Granda was good friends with Tony Liberatore's father in law (they were neighbours, another Warrnambool connection). I met Libba few times, such a nice bloke.

18 months away? We’ve been playing Wallis and Hannan in that medium forward role this season with terrible return from both players. What makes you think that Jamarra can’t play that role with similar results if we persist with him? 18 months away is a bloody long time in footy.

I'm glad he proved me wrong and I was riding every kick. We had a good team balance with him as the third tall. I'm just not sure you can take such a raw kid into the finals and expect them to play four quarters and not be a defensive liability.

I think JUH should stay in long term. He would be so dangerous (as we saw yesterday) as that third tall and can also play as a medium. He makes things happen. And has those pure forward instincts that you can’t teach.

Will be even more dangerous when our midfield are all back together in form, delivering lace out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think JUH should stay in long term. He would be so dangerous (as we saw yesterday) as that third tall and can also play as a medium. He makes things happen. And has those pure forward instincts that you can’t teach.

Will be even more dangerous when our midfield are all back together in form, delivering lace out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

if they decide to lower their eyes for once! 😔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparisons to Buddy are better than the cringe inducing clickbait on Fox Footy today that compared him to Brendan Fevola! This tenuous argument completely ignores the fact that they kick with different feet and play nothing at all alike.

"Family ties? No.1 draft pick’s uncanny resemblance to AFL goalkicking great."

Its no surprise that it has the byline attributed to a "Staff Writer." As I wouldn't want my name attached with it either.

Please don't search for the story, if you haven't seen it already. I can assure you its real. Doing so will only encourage stupid people to pursue a career in the AFLMedia landscape. When the reality is that this herd of dumb beasts is in need of a serious culling.

Comparisons to Buddy are better than the cringe inducing clickbait on Fox Footy today that compared him to Brendan Fevola! This tenuous argument completely ignores the fact that they kick with different feet and play nothing at all alike.

"Family ties? No.1 draft pick’s uncanny resemblance to AFL goalkicking great."

Its no surprise that it has the byline attributed to a "Staff Writer." As I wouldn't want my name attached with it either.

Please don't search for the story, if you haven't seen it already. I can assure you its real. Doing so will only encourage stupid people to pursue a career in the AFLMedia landscape. When the reality is that this herd of dumb beasts is in need of a serious culling.

‘Josh Hill should be the better comparison.

‘Same height and build and at least played for us.

Has about as much logic as the Buddy comparison.

JUH was great and I hope he stays in the side. But, he still has a fair bit of work to do on his tank. There was a lengthy period in the 3rd where he barely moved out of the goal square, shortly before taking that strong pack mark and subsequent snap goal.

That's not necessarily a problem though if he can still pop up for a number of moments like we saw yesterday.

Can easily see now why he was rated so highly.

So apart from being a tall Indigenous left footer with a lot of talent, how is he similar to Buddy?

Buddy has nowhere near the vertical leap and overhead skills Jamarra has, and I doubt Jamarra long term is going to be as powerful through the body as Buddy is.

Prime Jamarra will be unstoppable in the air. He and Naughton will be able to play kick to kick
The comparisons always bothered me, because the only thing they have in common aside from being key forwards is the fact they're indigenous. It's just a lazy and casually racist comparison.

Buddy is a beautiful field kick, very strong in the contest, but poor overhead.

Marra is a poor field kick (although he was surprisingly good against the Suns), better when leaping to the contest rather than standing and wrestling, and strong overhead.

The comparisons always bothered me, because the only thing they have in common aside from being key forwards is the fact they're indigenous. It's just a lazy and casually racist comparison.

Marra is a poor field kick (although he was surprisingly good against the Suns), better when leaping to the contest rather than standing and wrestling, and strong overhead.
The comparisons will get worse when somebody points out that Buddy also only had a handful of possessions and zero goals in his first game but then kicked 3 in his second game.

Don't despair though. I'm confident he'll define his own style and become his own man soon enough.

I'm glad he proved me wrong and I was riding every kick. We had a good team balance with him as the third tall. I'm just not sure you can take such a raw kid into the finals and expect them to play four quarters and not be a defensive liability.

In 2016 a spectacularly raw tall forward debuted for us late in the season. In fact he had never played forward before. Though he didn’t have a third of JUH’s talent he had a better first game, kicking a goal against Geelong at GMHBA. He also kicked the first goal of the granny. I would argue he didn’t end up being a defensive liability in the finals.

Last edited:

Is he though? Not sure the sample size is large enough to reach that conclusion. As you say, a couple of good ones yesterday. After his second game, if I had to choose someone in our side to kick for goal to save my life I think he already gets the nod. That beautiful kick will eventually transition to field kicking as he becomes accustomed to the tempo of senior football and his tank improves.

He'll probably never move like Buddy but few do.

Is he though? Not sure the sample size is large enough to reach that conclusion. As you say, a couple of good ones yesterday. After his second game, if I had to choose someone in our side to kick for goal to save my life I think he already gets the nod. That beautiful kick will eventually transition to field kicking as he becomes accustomed to the tempo of senior football and his tank improves.

He'll probably never move like Buddy but few do.
This is based on what he's shown throughout juniors - until he's able to demonstrate consistently good kicking at AFL level, I'm still confident with listing that as an area of improvement. His field kicking and set shot accuracy were clear weaknesses prior to being drafted, but you wouldn't know it based on the Suns game. Hopefully that continues

This is based on what he's shown throughout juniors - until he's able to demonstrate consistently good kicking at AFL level, I'm still confident with listing that as an area of improvement. His field kicking and set shot accuracy were clear weaknesses prior to being drafted, but you wouldn't know it based on the Suns game. Hopefully that continues
But didn't scouting reports and the media suggest that Marra pre-AFL is an outstanding field kick but is prone to the yips when kicking for goal? I've never heard anyone question his field kicking.

Full time footballer now with all the time and resources available to reveal latent skills and talents. It's said that within every stone is a sculpture that waits only for a sculptor to reveal it. "Bevo: Our Sculptor"

But didn't scouting reports and the media suggest that Marra pre-AFL is an outstanding field kick but is prone to the yips when kicking for goal? I've never heard anyone question his field kicking.
I think it's his consistency rather than an outright lack of kicking ability, so was prone to bad skill errors. Something he can improve on over time, but definitely something I'd consider a weakness until he's able to demonstrate otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back