Remove this Banner Ad

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
They made us use up all our picks so we couldn’t take anyone else that Adelaide wanted. And here’s me thinking they did it out of respect for JUH ☺
It still doesn't add up. Trading free tv/radio/newspaper/internet hype and coverage and selling hope to your members and fanbase versus removing 1 club from the pool is a bizarre move. Pick 2 is great, but it just doesn't have the same shine.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I go to footywire and they list him at 194 cm, 84 kg, how do you get 1 cm shorter and drop 6 kg overnight even if you are a big dumper, do some folks use aldi scales not that there is anything wrong with that.

They haven’t updated it from his measurements at the start of the year.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because we didn't trae them "enough" for Keath or trade them our pick 14.
This is spot on. The Adelaide recruiter does not like Sam - thought he could put one over him in the Keath trade because he was new and thought he had us over a barrel with pick 14 as well - Sam told him to get stuffed and used pick 14 in th e trade for Trealor and ended up with about 400 extra points back.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Marra - you f#@cking beauty !
So exciting with English, Naughts, Smith and now Marra as our elite young talent. Hope we can keep them all.
Not too worried about that apart from Dunks chasing a buttload of cash all the young group seem pretty happy at the Kennel. Kulcha!

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is spot on. The Adelaide recruiter does not like Sam - thought he could put one over him in the Keath trade because he was new and thought he had us over a barrel with pick 14 as well - Sam told him to get stuffed and used pick 14 in th e trade for Trealor and ended up with about 400 extra points back.
Apparently they bid on him knowing we were keen on a player they were targeting later in the draft. Them bidding pick 1 meant we couldn’t pick again til 55.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apparently they bid on him knowing we were keen on a player they were targeting later in the draft. Them bidding pick 1 meant we couldn’t pick again til 55.
If my calculations are right, if JUH had been nominated at 2 or 3 our next pick would have been 48.
Rowe was taken at 38.
Yes it's possible that we could have traded up to get him but it sounds like BS justification to me.
How would Adelaide have known who we would take anyway.

If my calculations are right, if JUH had been nominated at 2 or 3 our next pick would have been 48.
Rowe was taken at 38.
Yes it's possible that we could have traded up to get him but it sounds like BS justification to me.
It was reported here before the draft. If that mail was correct maybe we told Rowe we were keen and he leaked, being a local boy and hoping to become a Crow?

Either that or they read BF. ;)

Anyway we got his teammate at WWT.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have it on good word that Mission's CEO put his foot down and requested that the Bulldogs start a misinformation campaign including tactical leaks to certain football forums of their interest in James Rowe. He knew that doing this would prompt them to bid at 1 to stop the Bulldogs from getting ahead of their later picks, leading to unprecedented media coverage for Ugle-Hagan as the number 1 pick.

Now we see Mission's logo on the front page of the major newspapers, generating millions of dollars worth of free advertising for his brand.

Absolute masterclass in guerilla marketing from Mission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rowe was taken at 38.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
What an absolutely incredible piece of propaganda this is. My word.

In 24 hours, their story has completely changed from "We will pick the best player at #1, regardless of who it is," to, "We have devised a masterful, multi-step plan in order to take a very specific player in the late ******* second round."

On top of how ridiculous that is, they publish a story that breaks this master plan down into multiple steps, and include a summary of the entire points system to demonstrate how exactly they 'beat' us.

I wonder why they didn't add step three: "Wait for 16 other clubs to decide that this player wasn't good enough for them to take at their selection."

An absolutely hysterical and incredible move by their media team. Did they recruit the author from China or Russia by any chance?

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What an absolutely incredible piece of propaganda this is. My word.

In 24 hours, their story has completely changed from "We will pick the best player at #1, regardless of who it is," to, "We have devised a masterful, multi-step plan in order to take a very specific player in the late ******* second round."

On top of how ridiculous that is, they publish a story that breaks this master plan down into multiple steps, and include a summary of the entire points system to demonstrate how exactly they 'beat' us.

I wonder why they didn't add step three: "Wait for 16 other clubs to decide that this player wasn't good enough for them to take at their selection."

An absolutely hysterical and incredible move by their media team. Did they recruit the author from China or Russia by any chance?
My favourite was where they said they told thilthorpe he was their number 1 and jamarra was just a ploy. Reminds me of the guy who gets caught cheating on his missus and justifies it by saying "but baby I love you, she meant nothing to me"

Rowe was taken at 38.
It was impossible to know how the rest of the draft would play out, and Adelaide did draft-day trades. The fact that 38 is before 48 doesn't make the principle of Adelaide's decision incorrect, even if Dan above refers do the changing tone of it all.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems like they'retrying to infer that they still rated thilthorpe at one and only bid on jamarra as a tactic. Trying to still hold onto the fact they got their main man
Which is technically draft tampering is it not?

It's such a bizarre concept draft tampering. As far as the AFL is concerned it exists (or doesn't exist) on the same plane as tanking.
The reality is the system is flawed and the AFL can't rely on clubs keeping the draft fair because clubs are really only interested in doing what is best for them.
If Carlton back to back nominating players last draft simply to stall for time while they orchestrated a trade isn't draft tampering nothing is.

As a footnote - I always find it amusing that some posters (main board) get so worked up about draft tampering if you suggest 2 teams come to a mutually beneficial arrangement, then in the same breath advocate for clubs to make other clubs 'pay' by bidding early. Delicious ironing.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was impossible to know how the rest of the draft would play out, and Adelaide did draft-day trades. The fact that 38 is before 48 doesn't make the principle of Adelaide's decision incorrect, even if Dan above refers do the changing tone of it all.
Yes in principle - but the whole thing is so ridiculously convoluted and is based on somehow knowing for a fact that we would trade up for a not particularly exciting mature age small forward. :think:

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can we move on from the whole Adelaide should they / shouldn't they have bid on JUH thing? JUH was the number one player in the draft and we got him for a 20% discount when we finished nowhere near the bottom of the ladder. In anyone's language that is an unbelievably good deal. So much so that they are changing the rules to avoid that situation again. Other clubs may rightfully be annoyed at us again, as the AFL changed the rules after we got Libba on the cheap.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can we move on from the whole Adelaide should they / shouldn't they have bid on JUH thing? JUH was the number one player in the draft and we got him for a 20% discount when we finished nowhere near the bottom of the ladder. In anyone's language that is an unbelievably good deal. So much so that they are changing the rules to avoid that situation again. Other clubs may rightfully be annoyed at us again, as the AFL changed the rules after we got Libba on the cheap.
Agreed. Not only were we finalists who got the #1, but we also fluked getting him in a year where we could load up on a heap of junk picks without consequence.

Effectively getting him for 14 is outrageously good fortune.

When you add in Power's shrewd playing of the Treloar situation (which to some degree fell in our lap) we've been truly kissed on the d1ck by an angel this off season.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I prefer he went pick 1 gives us added marketability and gives jamarra more money. Just found it funny the way the crows justified their decision and the way they tried to claim they still rated thilthorpe at one

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
I prefer he went pick 1 gives us added marketability and gives jamarra more money. Just found it funny the way the crows justified their decision and the way they tried to claim they still rated thilthorpe at one
If they rated thilthorpe at one they would of taken him At one it’s as simple as that they can spin their story as much as they like.

Sooner or later Crows will have a father/son or academy player they want, it pays to create goodwill in this business, not go out of your way to screw another team over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back