Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's hope Jamarra kicks a bag when we play Crows next year, while Thilthorpe and Rowe go kick-less at the other end. Even better, Jamarra takes a hanger standing on one of their heads. Anyone associated with the Cows are usually well-balanced though - they have a chip on both shoulders.

Given that we traded down for points, you could probably say we got him for more than a 20% discount compared to our original draft hand, though I've not done the calcs.

Eg. Our original 1st, 2nd and 3rd are only worth about 2000 points in total and pick 1 was worth 3000 points pre-discount.

Too difficult to work out exactly, with pre draft trades and other bids on the night, but in short, every time Sam traded for points he increased our effective discount.

Shocking system open to abuse. Thank God they're getting rid of it next year...

Last edited:
Given that we traded down for points, you could probably say we got him for more than a 20% discount compared to our original draft hand, though I've not done the calcs.

Eg. Our original 1st, 2nd and 3rd are only worth about 2000 points in total and pick 1 was worth 3000 points pre-discount.
After free agency period (with all the compensation picks pushing everyone down), we held Pick 14, Pick 40 and Pick 53.
After picking up Hannan, Martin and Treloar, plus giving up our 2021 2nd + 3rd, we walked in with Pick 29 + Pick 33 + Pick 41 + Pick 42 + Pick 52 + Pick 54
Based on this year's ladder, the future picks would have been worth roughly Pick 29 + Pick 47 (969 points).

So by giving up Pick 14 + Pick 40 + Pick 53 + future picks (total value 2,792) we brought in Hannan, Martin, Treloar and JUH.

It's difficult to nail down the true discount we got since we turned some of our picks into Treloar, but you could look at it like JUH cost us 2,400 points, which means getting in Hannan and Treloar cost us 392 points, or the equivalent of Pick 42 (a 3rd rounder).

Too difficult to work out exactly, with pre draft trades and other bids on the night, but in short, every time Sam traded for points he increased our effective discount.

Shocking system open to abuse. Thank God they're getting rid of it next year...
We didn't even have our second to start the trade period, it was swapped for Adelaide's 3rd. Depending how you "value" the picks pre or post bidding, it's something like 1500-1700 points we paid for JUH. We don't have next year's 2nd or 3rd, if you consider that the price for Treloar and Hannan.

Just watched the interview with JUH & Des Headland. What a ripper. Hope he lives up to the wraps & keeps reminding us for the next 15 years how great the game is! And he's consistently so-so against the Kangas...

After free agency period (with all the compensation picks pushing everyone down), we held Pick 14, Pick 40 and Pick 53.
After picking up Hannan, Martin and Treloar, plus giving up our 2021 2nd + 3rd, we walked in with Pick 29 + Pick 33 + Pick 41 + Pick 42 + Pick 52 + Pick 54
Based on this year's ladder, the future picks would have been worth roughly Pick 29 + Pick 47 (969 points).

So by giving up Pick 14 + Pick 40 + Pick 53 + future picks (total value 2,792) we brought in Hannan, Martin, Treloar and JUH.

It's difficult to nail down the true discount we got since we turned some of our picks into Treloar, but you could look at it like JUH cost us 2,400 points, which means getting in Hannan and Treloar cost us 392 points, or the equivalent of Pick 42 (a 3rd rounder).
I'll believe you. Works for me!

Adelaide got picks : 2, 11, 25, 28, 38 [dunno what the last one was going into the draft]
We had: 29, 33, 41, 42, 52, 54 and 90

So I guess the benefit in bidding for JUH there was only to move them up to 38 from ?? 40 on that last one?? Is that right? Which is stuff all benefit to them.

Other than that the only supposed draft benefit was to stop us getting getting James Rowe ????

Hardly seem to be good reasons to bid on JUH? Or are they?

So what impact did crows bidding at 1 have on us rather than say pick 3. Do they get any benefit out if it?
If my calculations are right, if JUH had been nominated at 2 or 3 our next pick would have been 48.
Rowe was taken at 38.
Yes it's possible that we could have traded up to get him but it sounds like BS justification to me.
How would Adelaide have known who we would take anyway.

Imagine if roles were reversed.....

Bulldogs have pick 1 as their first pick and rate Tilthorpe as the best player in the draft.
Crows have academy player Ugle-Hagen tied to them and have pick 20-something as their first pick in the draft.

Bulldogs bid on Ugle-Hagan with their first pick despite them thinking Tilthorpe is actually the best player......

Bulldogs supporters would burn down Whitten Oval and demand that the club sacks Sam Power.

That's how ridiculous the concocted Crows story is about why they bid on JUH. It wasn't rational...it was personal. And incredibly stupid and an outright lie. There is no way that they rated Tilthorpe above Ugle-Hagan. Dickheads.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one team gets to do pick 1 marketing like this this year and it's not Adelaide.View attachment 1026960
Doesn’t seem like the club is worried about putting any pressure on the kid. Would he silly not to do it from a marketing point of view. Honestly can’t remember the last draftee who had this much hype coming in.

51 is available, and as relevant as any other number on our list.
View attachment 1026556
I think Jamarra can wear which number
Is available and he is happy with.
But as a nostalgic tragic.And remembering
Steven Koops,and Collingwoods 35 system.
It would be great if he wore magic Mclean's number for a year.
I remember the absolute excitement when Magic was recruited .And Jamarra has that same excitement in abundance.

Even he’s name is marketable “jamarra” or “marra” could see it ending up popular like “buddy”. Very lucky to have him at the kennel

This is spot on. The Adelaide recruiter does not like Sam - thought he could put one over him in the Keath trade because he was new and thought he had us over a barrel with pick 14 as well - Sam told him to get stuffed and used pick 14 in th e trade for Trealor and ended up with about 400 extra points back.
That's the thing, to trade in Treloar on 600K and get back the 400 odd points for Marra was as the the great Ritchie would say, that was sooo brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back