Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

TBOW

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is this not tantamount to draft tampering?
They have literally come out saying that they only nominated a player to wipe another team out of the draft in order to have access to a player later.

Of course at AFL house draft tampering can only be found under the rug with tanking, 3rd party payments, and Daniel Talia's phone...

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is this not tantamount to draft tampering?
They have literally come out saying that they only nominated a player to wipe another team out of the draft in order to have access to a player later.

Of course at AFL house draft tampering can only be found under the rug with tanking, 3rd party payments, and Daniel Talia's phone...
Plus they said that JUH deserved to be pick one and didn't want to spoil it for him. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, if there is a loophole, clubs will find it, just like Sydney did the year before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ossie_21

Premium Platinum
May 28, 2010
Melbourne (ex-Perth)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Everton
Some fantastic grabs!! Hopefully they don’t rush him.
Marking has always seemed to be a strength. It didn’t happen for him in pre-season but he was pretty much flying for everything. Once he starts taking those, that will be the difference maker.

Very promising if the rustiness can be shaken out fairly quickly...but as you say, no need to rush. AFL will be completely different and even the poorer defenders may be better than the good state level defenders.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wonder if the President is looking forward to unleashing this marketing tool.And increasing memberships.
Gifted to us and we should be grateful.
Hopefully His match fitness is ready soon.

ossie_21

Premium Platinum
May 28, 2010
Melbourne (ex-Perth)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Everton
Wonder if the President is looking forward to unleashing this marketing tool.And increasing memberships.
Gifted to us and we should be grateful.
Hopefully His match fitness is ready soon.
Interesting article and comments from Bevo who said it’s exciting, but not debuting soon.

He said the new VFL rules hurt him with the stupid zones and the need for 3 players to be inside 50 for every ball up, throw in etc. This includes umpires delaying play to ensure players are in position. Will take even longer to build his fitness and endurance to be AFL ready, hopefully that will be made shorter when the rule gets abandoned after everyone realises that it is not practical and is ******* stupid.

ScragCity

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Marra double parked on the Saturday recovery after game day is a vibe

From an indigenous community in Warranmbool to drinking at a festival with 3 absolute glamours on a Saturday arvo, it brings a tear to ya eye
I didn't understand a word of what you just posted. This might be my first "out of touch old man" moment.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Very promising if the rustiness can be shaken out fairly quickly...but as you say, no need to rush. AFL will be completely different and even the poorer defenders may be better than the good state level defenders.
He'll get less one on ones at AFL level but to start his journey he may only be getting the fourth AFL defender who will be quality BUT shorter than him (and if pre-draft talk is to be believed, probably slower to accelerate than JUH too).

hoianbulldog

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Marra double parked on the Saturday recovery after game day is a vibe

From an indigenous community in Warranmbool to drinking at a festival with 3 absolute glamours on a Saturday arvo, it brings a tear to ya eye
His years between 20 and 30 years of age are going to be significanttly better that what mine were.

SharkMeister4

Debutant
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont didn't have the hype coming in to the draft, but created it once he was in exceptionally quickly. That game against Melbourne was what really blew the lid off.

Jamarra on the other hand is our first #1 pick in this age of accessible highlights and 24/7 media. He was getting articles, his trick shots blowing up on social media...But that same media that's built him up will tear him down if he doesn't deliver unreasonably quickly.

I guess my opinion on the club's approach is that it's very sensible, but hopefully they don't get carried away with it. Make him earn the spot, but if he is earning it, even if (hypothetically) that's three or five games in, I don't see any point in holding out. Or if it takes most of the season, that's fine too, he missed a year of footy.

I know our forward line isn't in dire need of another tall, but it is in dire need of natural goalkickers/forwards rather than guys from other positions we've turned in to forwards, so if he does start racking them up with a sensible enough sample size he should be in. If the forward line does function better than expected then there's even less rush to bring him in, but I'm not holding my breath on that front.

I am glad the club is being mindful of the pressure though. Obviously we know first hand what can go wrong in this situation.
Id say Tom Boyd was our first #1 pick and remains a cautionary tale for what can happen when you lose the favor of the media. obviously there was more going on there with the moving and the contract, but ugle hagan being an academy player will also cause extra drama for him

Remove this Banner Ad