Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have two players in our academy next year who are likely first round picks. Plus Ewan McPherson as a FS. You just know opposition clubs will be up in arms. I’d be happy to pass on our first round pick this year if it Guarantees we get Jamarra next season. And use our first next year on Stevens the other NGA prospect

We have two players in our academy next year who are likely first round picks. Plus Ewan McPherson as a FS. You just know opposition clubs will be up in arms. I’d be happy to pass on our first round pick this year if it Guarantees we get Jamarra next season. And use our first next year on Stevens the other NGA prospect

We'd have to use our first plus other points if Marra got a bid before our first pick. I was all for trading this years & next years firsts for established talent, but if next years crop is going to be as good as what a few people think, we need to keep our first next year as we'd struggle trying to account for draft points.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We'd have to use our first plus other points if Marra got a bid before our first pick. I was all for trading this years & next years firsts for established talent, but if next years crop is going to be as good as what a few people think, we need to keep our first next year as we'd struggle trying to account for draft points.
We can always go into points deficit and repay it the year after

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can always go into points deficit and repay it the year after
My main concern with doing that is what if the 2021 crop turned out to be significantly better than usual? We would've shot ourselves in the foot. I'd rather see us value trade our 1st like Sydney did to pay for Blakey, North for Thomas, and Collingwood for Quaynor. Between Marra, McPherson and Stevens, it could be 3000+ draft points required, which is close to our entire draft hand this year

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My main concern with doing that is what if the 2021 crop turned out to be significantly better than usual? We would've shot ourselves in the foot. I'd rather see us value trade our 1st like Sydney did to pay for Blakey, North for Thomas, and Collingwood for Quaynor. Between Marra, McPherson and Stevens, it could be 3000+ draft points required, which is close to our entire draft hand this year
I think it would be a bit of both. Cover as much as we can and then pay off what we can't. I don't think there is much chance of us covering all the points if they end up being picked as high as early reports suggest

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It depends on where the club values it's list and the players they would go into deficit for. Remember that we have a wide array of elite young players, along with the next draft or two of young players (including Ugle-Hagan), the club may be okay with a having a reduced draft hand for one year given the plan would be to contend for a flag.

If the draft is significantly better than usual, it's always easy to trade into the second and third rounds with some maneuvering.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dumb question - who is Stevens?

Dumb question - who is Stevens?
Nick Stevens. 190cm or so. A number of posts in the NGA thread refer to him. This was the most recent.

I know almost nothing about him though. VitalDread may be able to elaborate.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nick Stevens. 190cm or so. A number of posts in the NGA thread refer to him. This was the most recent.

I know almost nothing about him though. VitalDread may be able to elaborate.
Tall,contested midfielder playing off the half back flank in the rebels side.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He seems to take one of these hangers every week!

E013EB93-38E3-4A09-A7CA-3CACF10E080A.png

Last edited:
Trade our picks this year to balance the list better. Keep em next year for these boys.

Can’t be adding another 5 or so younglings to the list this year. Makes no sense at all.
Sam Power has said as much too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin is playing game 300 this week and has kicked about 940 goals from memory.
I reckon Marra will hit the tonne by game 250, but don't want to pressure him too much.

Going into next season i roughly see rankings like this
(doing a correct one in the future)

Marra- Top 10
Franklin is playing game 300 this week and has kicked about 940 goals from memory.
I reckon Marra will hit the tonne by game 250, but don't want to pressure him too much.
You mean game 50 yeah?

Dec 30, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally I don't get all of the talk about obtaining points in next years draft.

If next years NGA / FS intake is as good as everybody says I say it's time for the club to be bold and go all in now. I think most on this board are happy that we have the young talent to be a strong team for a long period so why not be bold and get all the talent we can in the door as early as possible.

This means:

1. Continue the strategy of getting established 25-27yr old talent in the door this year.
2. Use this years and next years picks as much as required. Use next years picks before this years if the choice is possible. Get the talent in this years draft.

3. Go into deficit in 2021.

By doing this we trust that our talent is enough to get use there now and we get the new talent in now rather than waiting. Who cares if we don't have a pick until pick 100 in 2021. We should be in the premiership window by then if not before so experience and free agents will be more valuable to us at that stage.

If we think outside the box we can change the way clubs think about the draft and points system and possibly set the club up for a long time.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
How could those drop-kick numpties at AFL.com.au make a claim like that in full knowledge of the 2010 and 2011 drafts? It is so ridiculous that it makes me worried.

They mean compromised as in players are already aligned to clubs not that one or two clubs hold all the picks.

Absolutely the rules should be changed. Academies should be scrapped altogether. Let's just hope it isn't for another few years.

I think the academies are great for the Buku Khamis types who may not have been given the opportunity without the academies. I’m not sure it’s a great thing with these guys that would’ve been top 10-15 picks (Tarryn Thomas, Isaac Quaynor) who probably would’ve made the system regardless. Definitely needs a tune up, not sure what it is. Doesn’t seem fair that we get a prospect as good as this seemingly without doing a hell of a lot of work. But as you said, let’s hope they don’t change it for a couple of years.

Last edited:

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only way I can think of for the NGA to make sense is if clubs are required to 'submit' zoned players of an appropriate age to the AFL and say 'here is a kid that meets the intentions of the NGA, can we have him?' The intentions being not some kid that is at a private boarding school and is obviously going to be a top 10 pick, but some raw unknown kid that actually needs help developing. If approved, the club just gets the kid when draft time comes around some years later, no questions asked, no bidding. Thats a big incentive to find unknowns and turn them into potential top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back