Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Instant death for any corporate career. In the bad old days, there was a bloke, Stephen Smith, tall, skinny, dead-pan face, looked like he'd missed his own funeral. He claimed to be Treasurer but he could have been Secretary, titles merge, he might have even have been Coach, last seen selling socks on a bridge in Bombay. He was the face of the Club before Dr Tony Capes, last of the decent blokes. Now we have, as President, Kylie, not her fault. When most of you hear 'Kylie' you think of the best Australian female backside ever. Some of us think 'she goes, she goes, she goes' ... from Rob Sitch's comedy show. In 1954, the Club President was Otto Grobbecker. Otto ? Kylie's fine.
I only think she will make a great president given her qualifications and what she has already achieved

I heard the same story about the Reid brothers, Sam and Ben, being told by their dad (Bruce, 86 games for Footscray) not to go to the Bulldogs because it had no future. As with all these stories it's just what I was told - can't verify it - but it's believable.

When you have a vicious circle like that it can be hard to break out of it. Success breeds success. Failure breeds failure.

Surviving past Fightback into the AFL era was the most crucial event in our VFL history. We've gradually built into a truly professional outfit since then.
Wasn’t the Bruce Reid story that Bluey Hampshire traded him to the Blues but had he played one more season at the Dogs he would have got to 100 games and both his boys would have been available as father sons?

Bruce was one of those players who could be equally as brilliant as he could be terrible

It should never have got to that. How did C'wood and / or R'mond prosper with their miniscule geographic bases ? Footscray was always multiple times the sizes of both put together. I reckon I know why. What do you think ?
Maybe the 30 or so years head start in the VFL had some impact

I remember hearing something about about the original vfl clubs having split the recruiting zones between them and then when the 3 vfa clubs joined we recieved zones that were regarded as vastly inferior. The agreement was that the zones would be rotated every few years but when it came time to swap the original vfl clubs refused and the vfl rolled over.

The Bulldog Tragician has just posted her article on JUH

www.bulldogtragician.com
Thanks D_R_U for alerting us to this blog/website. I must admit I've never previously heard of it but I found that the contributions/stories were very well-written and certainly touched a chord of important memories. I found myself strongly identifying with the images created of Bulldogs' highlights and lowlights over the years. I suspect the author/s have a background in education or media or perhaps are just skilful in the art of 'capturing the moment'.
Highly recommended.

Thanks D_R_U for alerting us to this blog/website. I must admit I've never previously heard of it but I found that the contributions/stories were very well-written and certainly touched a chord of important memories. I found myself strongly identifying with the images created of Bulldogs' highlights and lowlights over the years. I suspect the author/s have a background in education or media or perhaps are just skilful in the art of 'capturing the moment'.
Highly recommended.
You’re welcome. You can subscribe and receive the articles in your email. You won’t be bombarded, she usually waits for a theme to write about, maybe three or four times a year. I liked the one about when she and her sister were flying to Bali and found themselves sitting next to Fletcher Roberts (post 2016) on the plane. They chatted to him without letting on they recognised him. Touching story.

Good post. You probably work for ancestry.com. That's the way of it. When Halle Berry won the Academy/Oscar ?? in 2002, she was touted as the first or whatever black American actress to have won it, overlooking her mother, white Englishwoman Judith Hawkins (could she have been Doug's long lost Aunt ?). Megan Markle, anyone ? Richard 'Dick' Wearmouth, Ronnie's dad, played 100 games for Footscray, mainly on the wing, kicked 27 goals. The story I heard was that Footscray approached Ronnie but his father wouldn't let Ronnie go to F'scray. It was told to me that the reason for the refusal was how poorly Footscray was run, Kevin Sheedy is reputed to have described our club as a 'sh.t club'. Times change.

Please excuse my posts...
From when he was a few days old, Jammara's name was shortened to Marra (Maah-rah) by one of his young cousins, and that stuck. Its a bit weird now hearing people are calling him by his full name.
Here's a pic with his great grand mother on his irish / australian side. There's a connection with Footscray , as her older brother - Jim Bourke lived and raised a family in Footscray most of his adult life. Both he and his wife Dorothy/Dori have passed away now, he was a butcher at one of the meat works, and ran horses / trotters (can't get more authentic working class aussie than that...)

Marra was Pretty happy in this photo, as his Nan brought Maccas for lunch on grandparents day in primary school and his classmates were all insanely jealous...

_162.JPG

From when he was a few days old, Jammara's name was shortened to Marra (Maah-rah) by one of his young cousins, and that stuck. Its a bit weird now hearing people are calling him by his full name.
Here's a pic with his great grand mother on his irish / australian side. There's a connection with Footscray , as her older brother - Jim Bourke lived and raised a family in Footscray most of his adult life. Both he and his wife Dorothy/Dori have passed away now, he was a butcher at one of the meat works, and ran horses / trotters (can't get more authentic working class aussie than that...)

Marra was Pretty happy in this photo, as his Nan brought Maccas for lunch on grandparents day in primary school and his classmates were all insanely jealous...

View attachment 1032017
Thank you for the stories!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1032017
Yes, in one of the many articles about him he said he’s always been called Marra and prefers it.

I vote we all refer to him as Marra from now on. Agree?

Thank you for the stories!

Just for you Fossie 32...

I wrote previously that it was Marra’s dad’s grandfather ‘Pop’ that taught him to kick on his left. Like many of his vintage, “Pop’ was obsessed with 'footy'; he played in the Hampden and W’bool district league for years, and umpired field and goal until he couldn’t do it any longer. He was well aware of the benefit of lefties’; that opponents do tend to instinctively move to block players swinging on their right side, giving left footers an advantage (and he loved lefties such as Maurice Rioli, Leon Cameron for that reason,) So he practiced with Marra (as he had done with all the grandkids) for hours only kicking on the left. Often bribing the kids with bags of Minties (Pop always had a bag of minties on hand, but sadly developed dementia in later years so possibly these sessions may have gone on for a longer time than usual with Marra LOL…)

The photo below was taken at a farewell get-together the day prior to Marra leaving home for Scotch college for the first time. His Pop had passed away a few months prior. His grandmother – Lee Hagan, pictured holding his younger brothers, moved closer to his family to help look after and support the kids. Other family too are in Melbourne, including including cousins who spent a lot of time with Marra there providing support.

_197.JPG

Marra’s great grandmother – Pat passed away later in 2017. Both Marra and his dad were pall bearers at both grandparents’ funerals.

When Scotch offered the scholarship, this was a critical moment and obviously some pressure to stay, but his dad’s family was all strongly for this once in a lifetime opportunity that would change his life completely. It’s possible that another of his younger brothers will also gain a similar scholarship for footy, they are showing similar traits (bad luck for WB on NGA rule changes..).

Pictured, the skinny tall kid wearing no. 23, taken at his first game for Scotch first 18, playing half back. He was peeved not to play key forward straight away, and definitely displaying the competitive edge.
IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

As the saying goes “it takes a village to raise a child”. With patience and the help of teammates, coaches and mentors, may Marra grow into a good man and become a warrior on-field for the Western Bulldogs …

Last edited:

I wrote previously that it was Marra’s dad’s grandfather ‘Pop’ that taught him to kick on his left. Like many of his vintage, “Pop’ was obsessed with 'footy'; he played in the Hampden and W’bool district league for years, and umpired field and goal until he couldn’t do it any longer. He was well aware of the benefit of lefties’; that opponents do tend to instinctively move to block players swinging on their right side, giving left footers an advantage (and he loved lefties such as Maurice Rioli, Leon Cameron for that reason,) So he practiced with Marra (as he had done with all the grandkids) for hours only kicking on the left. Often bribing the kids with bags of Minties (Pop always had a bag of minties on hand, but sadly developed dementia in later years so possibly these sessions may have gone on for a longer time than usual with Marra LOL…)

The photo below was taken at a farewell get-together the day prior to Marra leaving home for Scotch college for the first time. His Pop had passed away a few months prior. His grandmother – Lee Hagan, pictured holding his younger brothers, moved closer to his family to help look after and support the kids. Other family too are in Melbourne, including including cousins who spent a lot of time with Marra there providing support.

View attachment 1032480

Marra’s great grandmother – Pat passed away later in 2017. Both Marra and his dad were pall bearers at both grandparents’ funerals.

When Scotch offered the scholarship, this was a critical moment and obviously some pressure to stay, but his dad’s family was all strongly for this once in a lifetime opportunity that would change his life completely. It’s possible that another of his younger brothers will also gain a similar scholarship for footy, they are showing similar traits (bad luck for WB on NGA rule changes..).

Pictured, the skinny tall kid wearing no. 23, taken at his first game for Scotch first 18, playing half back. He was peeved not to play key forward straight away, and definitely displaying the competitive edge.
View attachment 1032482

View attachment 1032483

View attachment 1032484View attachment 1032486

It’s all unfolded pretty fast since. It’s said, there’s often unrealistic expectations and pressure on these drafted kids, particularly from their family, let alone from their club & fans. For some family, they’ll try to ride on the coattails of drafted kids, as they may see this as the biggest thing to have happened in their life.

I have read that Western Bulldogs have now put in place to deal with the complexities of kids of indigenous backgrounds. This is a good thing.

As the saying goes “it takes a village to raise a child”. With patience and the help of teammates, coaches and mentors, may Marra grow into a good man and become a warrior on-field for the Western Bulldogs …
Brill thank you :rainbow:

View attachment 1032480

View attachment 1032482

View attachment 1032483

View attachment 1032484View attachment 1032486

It’s all unfolded pretty fast since. It’s said, there’s often unrealistic expectations and pressure on these drafted kids, particularly from their family, let alone from their club & fans. For some family, they’ll try to ride on the coattails of drafted kids, as they may see this as the biggest thing to have happened in their life.

I have read that Western Bulldogs have now put in place to deal with the complexities of kids of indigenous backgrounds. This is a good thing.

It's very generous of you to share these insights with us Lacustrus - a big thank you from the Bulldogs BigFooty family!

Ugle-Hagan's name came up over Mitchells' Xmas, quelle surprise. On the I-know-a-bloke-who-knows-a-bloke authenticity continuum, Ugle-Hagan's extraordinarily balanced and composed. The Club regards him as a once in a life time gift and concentrated on selling the Club to him in the lead up. Merry Xmas.

Last edited:
We won a premiership 29 years in, 7 years later, another Grand Final. 2 in 34 years. Boomers don't slavishly follow their parents' choices. Post 1954 should have seen us Collingwoodesque. Peter Gordon should have been a supporter, only, David Smorgon was always destined to be a President with his commercial clout.

Instant death for any corporate career. In the bad old days, there was a bloke, Stephen Smith, tall, skinny, dead-pan face, looked like he'd missed his own funeral. He claimed to be Treasurer but he could have been Secretary, titles merge, he might have even have been Coach, last seen selling socks on a bridge in Bombay. He was the face of the Club before Dr Tony Capes, last of the decent blokes. Now we have, as President, Kylie, not her fault. When most of you hear 'Kylie' you think of the best Australian female backside ever. Some of us think 'she goes, she goes, she goes' ... from Rob Sitch's comedy show. In 1954, the Club President was Otto Grobbecker. Otto ? Kylie's fine.

I know Boppo, very good family friend of my Uncle and late Aunt. I last saw him in 2017 in Melbourne at my Aunt’s funeral. I know he was in a finance role at the VFL in recent times. Really terrific bloke. Drove EJ around the MCG in that well known footage too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know Boppo, very good family friend of my Uncle and late Aunt. I last saw him in 2017 in Melbourne at my Aunt’s funeral. I know he was in a finance role at the VFL in recent times. Really terrific bloke. Drove EJ around the MCG in that well known footage too.

'Boppo', that's him, Life Member. I can't lay my hands on John Lack's book at the moment and google got me nowhere. Did Dennis 'Gumboots' Galimberti succeed, resorting to nicknames, Boppo or was Gumboots appointed over Boppo's head ? I'm pretty sure that Boppo's role was described as Club Secretary where Gumboots was General Manager. Do you know the circumstances under which Boppo left ?

Last edited:
'Boppo', that's him, Life Member. I can't lay my hands on John Lack's book at the moment and google got me nowhere. Did Dennis 'Gumboots' Galimberti succeed, resorting to nicknames, Boppo or was Gumboots appointed over Boppo's head ? I'm pretty sure that Boppo's role was described as Club Secretary where Gumboots was General Manager. Do you know the circumstances under which Boppo left ?

Hmmm to be honest I’m not sure how it all played out DM. I was only 10 or so and lived in Tasmania when fightback was happening and I’ve not ever spoken to the big Bop about his exit from the club. He’s still a keen dogs person, and I know at least one of his daughters is too after having a chat to her about the 2016 flag after my Aunt’s funeral.

Hmmm to be honest I’m not sure how it all played out DM. I was only 10 or so and lived in Tasmania when fightback was happening and I’ve not ever spoken to the big Bop about his exit from the club. He’s still a keen dogs person, and I know at least one of his daughters is too after having a chat to her about the 2016 flag after my Aunt’s funeral.

Thanks, anyway, Hobdog. One of Gumboots' successors was called 'Chainsaw', he apparently earned the nickname by persuading the players to take a pay cut. There was that Yank, much touted when appointed, who lasted a year, just missed the Premiership, fell out with Gordon, as did Simon Garlick, now appointed something-or-other at Fremantle. Our Administrators are as colourful as the players.

Thanks, anyway, Hobdog. One of Gumboots' successors was called 'Chainsaw', he apparently earned the nickname by persuading the players to take a pay cut. There was that Yank, much touted when appointed, who lasted a year, just missed the Premiership, fell out with Gordon, as did Simon Garlick, now appointed something-or-other at Fremantle. Our Administrators are as colourful as the players.

It’s been a rocky road hasn’t it?! Remind me who the yank was again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back