Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Hope he's not the next Zephaniah Skinner.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People thinking he’s going to get a gig before round 5 are wishful thinking! Unless he improves his match fitness a lot he’s going to be playing VFL for a while which is understandable as the amount of footy he missed last year.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People thinking he’s going to get a gig before round 5 are wishful thinking! Unless he improves his match fitness a lot he’s going to be playing VFL for a while which is understandable as the amount of footy he missed last year.

I'd be happy to wait for him to get a gig based on VFL output and putting in the hard yards at training. At the moment you'd have to say Schache is ahead of him for a KPF role. There's no need to rush him into the side.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would play him ASAP. Get fit playing ones.
I don’t think so by what I seen at the VFL match Monday! He’s a bit off AFL at the moment and all that would be doing is playing him because he’s the “number one pick”. I get what your saying but I think it would be a bad move. Hopefully mid year he’s right to go.

Mar 25, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge has already announced that his fitness isn’t quite there at the moment, which is completely understandable with the amount of time out of footy he has had. We’re all excited to see what Jamarra can do but it would better to play him in the 2s to build match fitness as well as confidence. Thinking he’ll play about 5-6 games this year and none before round 5.

Hope Dogs have another pre-season match this weekend.

But from the one game i have seen live, and i'm the Number 1 Ticket Holder for his Wagon

I wouldn't be playing him to at least Round 7-8 of VFL
Allow him to really develop that tank and get used to beating mature bodies

At the time hes a 90% player, everything he jumps for is a "hands on it but doesn't take the mark" which is just game reps he needs to get

Hope Dogs have another pre-season match this weekend.

But from the one game i have seen live, and i'm the Number 1 Ticket Holder for his Wagon

I wouldn't be playing him to at least Round 7-8 of VFL
Allow him to really develop that tank and get used to beating mature bodies

At the time hes a 90% player, everything he jumps for is a "hands on it but doesn't take the mark" which is just game reps he needs to get
doe we know when the vfl season starts?

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
As many have said including the coach fittness is his biggest short term hurdle. The kid can make something out of nothing but until he develops power and strength he needs fitness to keep him mobile and get to more contests. With quarters back to full length and less interchange he'll struggle to play early in the year maybe a couple of games later depending how we're travelling.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
JUH is the first decent KPF prospect we've had in a long time that has the luxury of not being rushed into the AFL team. We're mad not to take advantage of that imo.

With Bruce, Naughton, Schache; rucks in Martin, English; flexible players like Bont; more mature pinch-hitters like Young, Cordy, Gardner; and smaller players that can play much taller such as Wallis, Hannan, Dunkley, and Weightman, there is absolutely no sense in rushing JUH. The only scenarios in which we should see him in the AFL side this year are (1) if he smashes the door down, or (2) in case of significant injury burden. Otherwise he plays VFL.

For the first time in a long time, our fortunes aren't linked to the "next big thing" coming on as quickly as possible. JUH should be allowed to earn the spotlight, not have it immediately shone upon his every rookie mistake as has happened with many recent KPF prospects.

JUH is the first decent KPF prospect we've had in a long time that has the luxury of not being rushed into the AFL team. We're mad not to take advantage of that imo.

With Bruce, Naughton, Schache; rucks in Martin, English; flexible players like Bont; more mature pinch-hitters like Young, Cordy, Gardner; and smaller players that can play much taller such as Wallis, Hannan, Dunkley, and Weightman, there is absolutely no sense in rushing JUH. The only scenarios in which we should see him in the AFL side this year are (1) if he smashes the door down, or (2) in case of significant injury burden. Otherwise he plays VFL.

For the first time in a long time, our fortunes aren't linked to the "next big thing" coming on as quickly as possible. JUH should be allowed to earn the spotlight, not have it immediately shone upon his every rookie mistake as has happened with many recent KPF prospects.
Jack Watts springs to mind, unfortunately

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack Watts springs to mind, unfortunately

If it wasn't for COVID and JUH missing a heap of competitive footy, you could look at what the King boys did in their first years of AFL as well as Buddy after he was drafted.

But you and the others are right. He doesn't have to be thrust into the team because of necessity. It would be nice though...the hype around this kid is nothing like we've had at the club for a long time. I can't even remember if there was much fanfare when the Bont played his first game in the Seniors?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it wasn't for COVID and JUH missing a heap of competitive footy, you could look at what the King boys did in their first years of AFL as well as Buddy after he was drafted.

But you and the others are right. He doesn't have to be thrust into the team because of necessity. It would be nice though...the hype around this kid is nothing like we've had at the club for a long time. I can't even remember if there was much fanfare when the Bont played his first game in the Seniors?

As someone who hasn’t followed footy for very long - how early did it become clear that Bont was a really special player?

As someone who hasn’t followed footy for very long - how early did it become clear that Bont was a really special player?

Very first game he played in the VFL.

It was a too good to be true performance that he soon showed to be the norm.

Memories do get glossier over time though.....

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember bont kicked about 5 out of the middle against Sandringham in his second or third vfl game. Bont looked like an absolute man mountain up close watching his early vfl games

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember bont kicked about 5 out of the middle against Sandringham in his second or third vfl game. Bont looked like an absolute man mountain up close watching his early vfl games

People raved about his first quarter and the question was about whether it was a fluke or not.... the game he kicked 5 showed everyone he was just way too good for vfl.
T Boyd was suppose to be the saviour that year.... Bont wasn’t even in the mix for top 3?!?!?

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Bont pretty much immediately looked like a generational player when he stepped into the AFL side (~ mid year?). I was worried about him as a junior but that doubt quickly washed away. His VFL form was pretty good, with clear progression, but then as soon as he played AFL you could see he was special.

But - Bont didn't play in a position where 100% of the time, your opponent's whole job description is "don't let this guy breathe," nor did he miss a season of footy.

Back