Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont didn't have the hype coming in to the draft, but created it once he was in exceptionally quickly. That game against Melbourne was what really blew the lid off.

Jamarra on the other hand is our first #1 pick in this age of accessible highlights and 24/7 media. He was getting articles, his trick shots blowing up on social media...But that same media that's built him up will tear him down if he doesn't deliver unreasonably quickly.

I guess my opinion on the club's approach is that it's very sensible, but hopefully they don't get carried away with it. Make him earn the spot, but if he is earning it, even if (hypothetically) that's three or five games in, I don't see any point in holding out. Or if it takes most of the season, that's fine too, he missed a year of footy.

I know our forward line isn't in dire need of another tall, but it is in dire need of natural goalkickers/forwards rather than guys from other positions we've turned in to forwards, so if he does start racking them up with a sensible enough sample size he should be in. If the forward line does function better than expected then there's even less rush to bring him in, but I'm not holding my breath on that front.

I am glad the club is being mindful of the pressure though. Obviously we know first hand what can go wrong in this situation.

stevieg1969

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bontempelli was an obvious star very early on.
However records show that in his 4 VFL games in 2014 he kicked 2 goals.

This article says Bont kicked 4 goals v Sandy in 2014 - 3 goals in the 1st quarter.
My bad though it was for Footscray not Werribee

rip it up

Senior List
Apr 14, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Burras
We have the luxury that no other team has had with a #1 draft pick.
We didn't finish bottom, we aren't desperately trying to find a new identity, provide supporters with hope. We already have this.

For JUH this hopefully will help with the pressures most see with carrying the #1 selection. We can afford to give him the time needed in VFL. When he is selected, if it is this year or next he will have earnt he's spot in the side on form and not on hope.

Add to this the unusual situation of missing a year through a pandemic, like we may see with a lot last years draft picks that missed a year, it will take time for them to find that match fitness.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it wasn't for COVID and JUH missing a heap of competitive footy, you could look at what the King boys did in their first years of AFL as well as Buddy after he was drafted.

But you and the others are right. He doesn't have to be thrust into the team because of necessity. It would be nice though...the hype around this kid is nothing like we've had at the club for a long time. I can't even remember if there was much fanfare when the Bont played his first game in the Seniors?
Not a lot

i remember seeing him kick something like 5 goals or so in the first half of a reserves game against Geelong and thinking WTF get him in the seniors but the build up was fairly low key

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Is this not tantamount to draft tampering?
They have literally come out saying that they only nominated a player to wipe another team out of the draft in order to have access to a player later.

Of course at AFL house draft tampering can only be found under the rug with tanking, 3rd party payments, and Daniel Talia's phone...

Is this not tantamount to draft tampering?
They have literally come out saying that they only nominated a player to wipe another team out of the draft in order to have access to a player later.

Of course at AFL house draft tampering can only be found under the rug with tanking, 3rd party payments, and Daniel Talia's phone...
Plus they said that JUH deserved to be pick one and didn't want to spoil it for him. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, if there is a loophole, clubs will find it, just like Sydney did the year before.

Some fantastic grabs!! Hopefully they don’t rush him.

Marking has always seemed to be a strength. It didn’t happen for him in pre-season but he was pretty much flying for everything. Once he starts taking those, that will be the difference maker.

Very promising if the rustiness can be shaken out fairly quickly...but as you say, no need to rush. AFL will be completely different and even the poorer defenders may be better than the good state level defenders.

Back