Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Almanac Footy- A Team Of Hyphens
December 11, 2018 by Glen - 9 Comments
Football Almanac hyphens

I remember that David Rhys-Jones was bestowed the nom de plume, The Hyphen, by commentators. How many hyphenated players have played AFL/VFL? I actually don’t know. However I thought I’d compile a list of those players I’m cognisant of.

I’m a pedant so no O’s, La’s, DE’s, Von’s, or Van’s, just the real hyphenated names.

Let’s see how this reads.

B: T. Ormond-Allen (Mel/Ade). L Roberts-Thompson (Syd). R Forster-Knight (Ess).

HB: R Lester-Smith (Haw/Bris). I Warne –Smith (Mel). G Lawson-Smith (Carl).

C: D Rhys-Jones (SM/Syd/Car). C Ellis-Yolmen (Ade). G Horlin-Smith (Geel).

HF: W Hoskin-Elliot (Coll). C Cockatoo-Collins (Ess/Port Ade). L Wardell-Johnson (Frem).

F: S Minton-Connell (Carl/Haw/ WB/ Syd). T Denis-Lane (Syd). L Boyd-Gerny (StK).

FOLL: R Fenton-Smith (Melb). S Powell-Pepper (Port Ade). B McMaster- Smith (Fitz/Carl/St Kilda).

INTER: Da Cockatoo-Collins (Melb.) Do Cockatoo-Collins (Melb). A Neale Bullen ( Melb). S Petrevski-Seton (Carl).

EMER: D Byrne-Jones (Port Ade). J Oakley-Nicholls (Rich). L Davies-Uniacke(NM).

In a captain coach role I’ll have Melbourne’s Ivor Warne-Smith. He captained Melbourne, also coached them, as well as a stint as captain coach. Adding this to his pair of Brownlow medals it’s a pretty impressive resume for this hyphen.
I think Hoskin-Elliott played for GWS too.

Michael Hunt (he insisted, wonder why ?) was the PE teacher at a preparatory school in Pascoe Vale at which attendees included a number of my mates. When we all get together, it still gets a laugh. Thanks for the memories.

Back to the team of hyphens, though, my favourite is Len Boyd-Gerny. It’s not because he

played 2 VFL games for St Kilda (that’s 2 more than me)
kicked, 1 goal (that’s one more than me)
lived for 95 years (I’m still in with a chance),

It's because

in 1934 both B-G and the great Bluey Truscott were in Matriculation (or whatever it might have been called back then) and the 1st XV111 at Melbourne High School, both prefects. Bluey was 4 days older. Bluey missed a class conducted by Richard (‘Dicky’) Dalton because he was in the prefects room picking next week’s 2nd XV111 team for the match against University High School.

Our B-G was in the class, saw that Dicky was enraged by Bluey’s absence, just quietly, I think he might have gee’d Dicky up, sprinted to the prefect’s room to warn Bluey

‘Dicky’s after you, Bluey, he’s going to kill you’. Bluey hides in a cupboard.

Dicky bursts into the prefect’s room. 'Where’s Truscott, I’m going to kill him’ Pointing to the cupboard, our B-G says ‘I haven’t seen him, Sir’

Truscott went on to play 44 games for Melbourne including the 1939 Premiership and has the honour of having the MFC’s Charlie Sutton Medal named after him, more for non football achievements.

Don’t you love a bloke who’d dob in a Melbourne footballer ?
Larger than life character. He was quite the man of his era. Captained MHS in cricket and mentored Keith Miller. Won a DFC and bar in the Air Force flying Spitfires in the Battle of Britain and also in action in New Guinea, but was killed in a training accident in 1943.

They shall not grow old ...

Larger than life character. He was quite the man of his era. Captained MHS in cricket and mentored Keith Miller. Won a DFC and bar in the Air Force flying Spitfires in the Battle of Britain and also in action in New Guinea, but was killed in a training accident in 1943.

They shall not grow old ...
For all his Spitfire victories in Britain, Bluey's finest hour was at Milne Bay, with Les Jackson and Bruce Turnbull, the father of Malcolm. Military Historians say that Milne Bay was where the Japanese were stopped from invading the south coast of New Guinea, to join the north coast invasion at Buna on the north coast. Kokoda is better known but Milne, arguably, more significant because Port Moresby was closer.

As the Japanese approached the aerodrome, RAAF command ordered Bluey to withdraw the Kittyhawks to Port Moresby. Bluey refused, ordered his pilots not to fly other than to oppose the Japanese. He understood the antipathy that the AIF felt towards towards the RAAF, the 'Brylcream Boys'. The RAAF stood with the AIF, Milne Bay, arguably Australia, was saved. Not bad for a Melbourne half forward flanker who once hid from his teacher in a cupboard.

Swans list manager on the Road to the Draft podcast said they would bid on JUH at 3 if there. He said they would do the decent thing and give Sam Power the heads up.

Swans list manager on the Road to the Draft podcast said they would bid on JUH at 3 if there. He said they would do the decent thing and give Sam Power the heads up.

Swans were always the most likely to bid.
Crows: Thilthorpe - SA boy and great prospect
North: McDonald - got to show confidence in your KPF & he is a really good one.
Swans: Bid JUH

So basically the confirmation in the podcast is giving him the heads up. Would be surprised if he lasts until pick 3 though tbh.

Swans were always the most likely to bid.
Crows: Thilthorpe - SA boy and great prospect
North: McDonald - got to show confidence in your KPF & he is a really good one.
Swans: Bid JUH
That's what I expect too.

Hard decision for the Swans then - Hollands or Granger-Barrass? 2021 is meant to be full of midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone old enough to remember the referee from TV's World Championship Wresting in the 1960s? Mike Hunt.
Yes, I am. Michael ran the gym located at the Melbourne City Baths in the 60's. I know this because as a puny teenager I was packed off to the gym by my old man. Before Michael entered his successful wrestling referee career he was a body builder who won the Professional (as opposed to the usual Amateur) Mr Australia title in 1960. In recent decades he has been a prominent member of Sports and Fitness organisations. I remembered him as a gentle giant who was always willing to assist, particularly when, as a 15-16 year old it looked like the weights would come crashing down on me.

... I remembered him as a gentle giant who was always willing to assist...
That's odd. I always thought he was around 175cm but that's just hazy recollections of seeing him on B&W TV.
Sounds like he was well over 6 foot.

That's odd. I always thought he was around 175cm but that's just hazy recollections of seeing him on B&W TV.
Sounds like he was well over 6 foot.
Yes, you are correct. He was about the same height as me as a 16 year old but because of his massive muscles he looked like a giant to me.

The people that write for the ROAR are just everyday punters but this guy explains that the teams that hold the first 3 picks in the draft all have strong form when it comes to bidding on Academy/FatherSon players.
That aligns with my mail which suggests that Adelaide are more than likely to bid at pick one.

AFL draft: Jamarra and the five most likely

Thomas Roker

Roar Rookie

The 2020 AFL draft shapes as perhaps the most unpredictable of all, with Victorian under-18s not playing this year and the other second-tier competitions having shortened seasons.
Draft experts, recruiters, scouts, pundits, punters and hacks have spent this year scouring the underage records and statistics to try to come up with 2020 predictions, which has been virtually impossible considering travel bans and the lack of useful data.
This industry is becoming a massive annual free-for-all, with clubs employing talent scouts across the country, while literally thousands of super-keen amateurs add their opinions to the experts.

Ultimately, the decisions regarding live selections are governed by list management teams at all 18 clubs, with live trading really creating a spectacle of draft night and making predictions for the first round close to impossible to predict.
Following on from Josh Elliott’s “very early” 2020 AFL phantom draft, this is an analysis of how the top five picks could play out, what kind of trades could tempt 2020’s bottom five clubs into moving back and which top ten smokies could potentially emerge.
But first things first. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the consensus No. 1 pick in this draft and the Crows are historically the busiest bidders for club-tied players. Ironically, North Melbourne and Sydney are also clubs with form when it comes to bidding on academy, NGA and father-son players, so JUH isn’t going to slide very far, if at all, in this draft. Let’s just assume it’s very early.

In fact, given the Western Bulldogs’ trade period and sheer luck at grooming such a highly rated Next Generation Academy player in the final year, the draft will be compromised in this fashion. There are 16 clubs hoping that Adelaide makes the Dogs pay the highest price when matching the bid.
So the Adelaide Crows are the reigning wooden spooners and on pole position for this draft. The recent history of this pick is that it just shouldn’t ever be traded. Fremantle traded their Pick 1 for Trent Croad in 2001 and Hawthorn used it to select Luke Hodge. Nobody with the first pick has traded it since.
Another trend with early picks, especially Pick 1, is to choose the best player available against positions of need. Adelaide, therefore, has a conundrum in that West Adelaide ruck-forward Riley Thilthorpe is a local with none of the go-home factor that has burnt them so much, while 2020 WAFL second leading goal-kicker Logan McDonald is consensus top two with Bulldogs-tied Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan of Oakleigh

The people that write for the ROAR are just everyday punters but this guy explains that the teams that hold the first 3 picks in the draft all have strong form when it comes to bidding on Academy/FatherSon players.
That aligns with my mail which suggests that Adelaide are more than likely to bid at pick one.

AFL draft: Jamarra and the five most likely
Thomas Roker
Roar Rookie

The 2020 AFL draft shapes as perhaps the most unpredictable of all, with Victorian under-18s not playing this year and the other second-tier competitions having shortened seasons.
Draft experts, recruiters, scouts, pundits, punters and hacks have spent this year scouring the underage records and statistics to try to come up with 2020 predictions, which has been virtually impossible considering travel bans and the lack of useful data.
This industry is becoming a massive annual free-for-all, with clubs employing talent scouts across the country, while literally thousands of super-keen amateurs add their opinions to the experts.

Ultimately, the decisions regarding live selections are governed by list management teams at all 18 clubs, with live trading really creating a spectacle of draft night and making predictions for the first round close to impossible to predict.
Following on from Josh Elliott’s “very early” 2020 AFL phantom draft, this is an analysis of how the top five picks could play out, what kind of trades could tempt 2020’s bottom five clubs into moving back and which top ten smokies could potentially emerge.
But first things first. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the consensus No. 1 pick in this draft and the Crows are historically the busiest bidders for club-tied players. Ironically, North Melbourne and Sydney are also clubs with form when it comes to bidding on academy, NGA and father-son players, so JUH isn’t going to slide very far, if at all, in this draft. Let’s just assume it’s very early.

In fact, given the Western Bulldogs’ trade period and sheer luck at grooming such a highly rated Next Generation Academy player in the final year, the draft will be compromised in this fashion. There are 16 clubs hoping that Adelaide makes the Dogs pay the highest price when matching the bid.
So the Adelaide Crows are the reigning wooden spooners and on pole position for this draft. The recent history of this pick is that it just shouldn’t ever be traded. Fremantle traded their Pick 1 for Trent Croad in 2001 and Hawthorn used it to select Luke Hodge. Nobody with the first pick has traded it since.
Another trend with early picks, especially Pick 1, is to choose the best player available against positions of need. Adelaide, therefore, has a conundrum in that West Adelaide ruck-forward Riley Thilthorpe is a local with none of the go-home factor that has burnt them so much, while 2020 WAFL second leading goal-kicker Logan McDonald is consensus top two with Bulldogs-tied Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan of Oakleigh
We just have to embrace it and make the most of the whole “number one pick” story. Absolutely milk it.

It's laughable that they describe the 2020 draft as compromised because of our good fortune to have JUH in our NGA. I agree with the sentiment but where was the outrage with two top-10 academy picks in 2016, 2018 and 2019? And Collingwood also getting Quaynor at #13 in 2018 and likely to get Reef McInnes inside the top 10 this year.

It'd be better if they canned the whole s**t show of academies being run and owned by clubs and just let the AFL run them. If they feel they need to prop up the northern states just give any of those four clubs that don't make the finals an end of first round draft pick every year. It'd be more transparent and wouldn't lock away talent.

It's laughable that they describe the 2020 draft as compromised because of our good fortune to have JUH in our NGA. I agree with the sentiment but where was the outrage with two top-10 academy picks in 2016, 2018 and 2019? And Collingwood also getting Quaynor at #13 in 2018 and likely to get Reef McInnes inside the top 10 this year.

It'd be better if they canned the whole sh*t show of academies being run and owned by clubs and just let the AFL run them. If they feel they need to prop up the northern states just give any of those four clubs that don't make the finals an end of first round draft pick every year. It'd be more transparent and wouldn't lock away talent.

Because we're meant to be a weak feeder team who stays in their place.

It'd be better if they canned the whole sh*t show of academies being run and owned by clubs and just let the AFL run them. If they feel they need to prop up the northern states just give any of those four clubs that don't make the finals an end of first round draft pick every year. It'd be more transparent and wouldn't lock away talent.
I thought it was called compromised because there's been basically no scouting of the talent since they haven't been on the park all year.

In fairness, it's not just about Jamarra.

Knightmares phantom draft has 14 of the top 50 picks being Academy/NGA/FS.

If that's even roughly accurate, this'll be the most compromised draft to date by a margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back