Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Andre3kdaGoat

Draftee
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Is this kid Victorian? Any link to the Eagles' Ugle?

And that name... too many 'a's and consonants. For marketing purposes, maybe Jam-U, Jamuh, The Jam. Or possibly the footy world adopts the soccer convention, a-la Pele and Ronaldo, and just refers to him as 'Jamarra'.
He's from the Kirrae mission, about a 25 minute drive outside of Warnambool.
As far as I know no link to the Eagle's Ugle, but its his mother, the Ugle, who is Aboriginal.
Source: I am family and good mate of Marra's

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's from the Kirrae mission, about a 25 minute drive outside of Warnambool.
As far as I know no link to the Eagle's Ugle, but its his mother, the Ugle, who is Aboriginal.
Source: I am family and good mate of Marra's

Thanks for sharing, Andre. He looks like he could be a future star and all us dogs fans are hoping the stars continue to align so he ends up at Whitten oval.

If you want to share more info or footage of the young kid in future, you’re welcome here anytime 👍

Andre3kdaGoat

Draftee
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey guys, I am a relative of Marra's and a good friend, and found this board googling his name, so I thought I might give you guys some more info on him.
He's been boarding at Scotch College for the past 2 1/2 years, since year 9. Best mates with Maurice Rioli Jr as they board in the same halls.
Played firsts for Scotch last year at 15 in year 10, played mostly at half-forward or half-back. Came second in Scotch's firsts best and fairest, losing out to Rioli Jr. Played a few games for Greater Western Vic Rebels at the very end of the year.
This year he's been playing for Oakleigh Chargers whenever Scotch don't have a game. I was fortunate enough to be at his game against Brighton Grammar where he kicked 9. Oakleigh were down by 2 goals at half time, and Marra had kicked 2 goals in the first half. But in the 3rd quarter he went ape-s**t and kicked 5, marked everything that came near him and totally dominated the contest even with 2 men marking him, putting Oakleigh up by 2 goals at 3qtr time, and in the 4th qtr he slotted another 2 to close the game out, kicking 9 total of Oakleighs 11.
He's got some leadership potential imo, however hasn't had a lot of chance to show it due to playing above his age group constantly, but will have a chance to next year.
His family are all Essendon or Richmond fans, (I fall into the latter), with him being a Essendon man. I've tried and failed to convert him to the Tiges, but he's been to plenty of games of both.
He's trained with the Laguntas program at Richmond last year.
AMA I'll try to answer to the best of my ability

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys, I am a relative of Marra's and a good friend, and found this board googling his name, so I thought I might give you guys some more info on him.
He's been boarding at Scotch College for the past 2 1/2 years, since year 9. Best mates with Maurice Rioli Jr as they board in the same halls.
Played firsts for Scotch last year at 15 in year 10, played mostly at half-forward or half-back. Came second in Scotch's firsts best and fairest, losing out to Rioli Jr. Played a few games for Greater Western Vic Rebels at the very end of the year.
This year he's been playing for Oakleigh Chargers whenever Scotch don't have a game. I was fortunate enough to be at his game against Brighton Grammar where he kicked 9. Oakleigh were down by 2 goals at half time, and Marra had kicked 2 goals in the first half. But in the 3rd quarter he went ape-s**t and kicked 5, marked everything that came near him and totally dominated the contest even with 2 men marking him, putting Oakleigh up by 2 goals at 3qtr time, and in the 4th qtr he slotted another 2 to close the game out, kicking 9 total of Oakleighs 11.
He's got some leadership potential imo, however hasn't had a lot of chance to show it due to playing above his age group constantly, but will have a chance to next year.
His family are all Essendon or Richmond fans, (I fall into the latter), with him being a Essendon man. I've tried and failed to convert him to the Tiges, but he's been to plenty of games of both.
Thanks for the info my good man.
Does he expect to end up at the dogs? Pretty big question, i know. Just there is some rumours around that theyre going to change the NGA academy.

Desperately hope we get him on our list next year, not only for his playing ability but for his future role modelling for young aboriginal kids.

Andre3kdaGoat

Draftee
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the info my good man.
Does he expect to end up at the dogs? Pretty big question, i know. Just there is some rumours around that theyre going to change the NGA academy.

Desperately hope we get him on our list next year, not only for his playing ability but for his future role modelling for young aboriginal kids.
Yea he does expect to be at the Dogs, except won't be drafted this draft class, instead the next, so first season would be 2021.
He's been invited to a bunch of functions by the Doggies, in 2017 he walked out on the field at Mars Stadium in Ballarat against Port Adelaide as part of the indigenous week i think.
The Doggies have also had a few players come out to the mission and volunteer at a program hid dad runs, called Koko Blokes, which is aimed at getting young indigenous kids to connect back to the culture. So they do a lot of indigenous dancing, crafting Bundi sticks, and keeping these kids out of trouble.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for the info mate, appreciate that.
Does he know any of the Bulldogs players? I'm not really familiar with how closely the NGA guys communicate with the current team, especially when he's still a year away from being drafted

Andre3kdaGoat

Draftee
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the info mate, appreciate that.
Does he know any of the Bulldogs players? I'm not really familiar with how closely the NGA guys communicate with the current team, especially when he's still a year away from being drafted
Being part of the NGA academy he has trained with the Doggies a few times, but thats only been a recent thing.
I believe over the off-season and pre-season he will be doing more training with the Doggies.

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Thanks Andre3kdaGoat, great info. Dogs fans are super excited to have him joining the club already more than a year out, going to be a fan favourite for sure.

Who would be your best comparison for him at AFL level? As in for the player he is likely to become?

Andre3kdaGoat

Draftee
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks Andre3kdaGoat, great info. Dogs fans are super excited to have him joining the club already more than a year out, going to be a fan favourite for sure.

Who would be your best comparison for him at AFL level? As in for the player he is likely to become?
Not sure who I would be able to compare him to tbh, his marking game is probably his biggest asset at the moment, so maybe someone like Jeremy Cameron (?) or maybe Harry McKay, but he is a very good pack mark and will only get better once he puts a bit more muscle on.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea he does expect to be at the Dogs, except won't be drafted this draft class, instead the next, so first season would be 2021.
He's been invited to a bunch of functions by the Doggies, in 2017 he walked out on the field at Mars Stadium in Ballarat against Port Adelaide as part of the indigenous week i think.
The Doggies have also had a few players come out to the mission and volunteer at a program hid dad runs, called Koko Blokes, which is aimed at getting young indigenous kids to connect back to the culture. So they do a lot of indigenous dancing, crafting Bundi sticks, and keeping these kids out of trouble.
Any idea what the young bloke bench presses Andre?

Doggstats

Club Legend
May 21, 2011
On the toilet.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
76ers, LA Angels
I still wouldn't be getting too excited until the rules are made clear.

With the pick 40 rule being enforced for WA and SA, I don't see why the same couldn't happen for Victoria.

Exactly. In fact you'd expect the AFL to implement the same NGA rules for the whole of Australia.

I'm just hoping that they delay the implementation till after the 2020 draft in Victoria. Or they remove the %20 discount for pre 40 picks as well as making each NGA candidate go through a selection process to make sure they fit the criteria of what the NGA is supposed to be for.

Back