Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Any change would be implemented 2021.
Awesome. Now does this stop the stupidity from some of our supporters thinking the AFL have a witch hunt set out against us getting any sort of benefit? Honestly so over the 'We will be screwed out of Jamarra' talk. Our club has been one of the biggest beneficiaries in recent times in regards to the father-son system, and we've utilised the benefits without complaint.

We'll get Jamarra. Shoosh.

I have a feeling that us getting Ugle-Hagan might be the reason a raft of changes take place to the NGA system in particular. Can you imagine if we managed to snag the consensus number one prospect (potentially) with a late first rounder and some other picks?

I have a feeling that us getting Ugle-Hagan might be the reason a raft of changes take place to the NGA system in particular. Can you imagine if we managed to snag the consensus number one prospect (potentially) with a late first rounder and some other picks?

Teams are already pretty mad about Tarryn Thomas (pick 8) and Isaac Quaynor (pick 13), so if Marra keeps this up there is bound to be a lot of outrage.

I'm not a big fan of the current NGA system. Not sure what the answers are though. Just selfishly hope we get this kid first and then they can make the changes from there

So to be clear, if we trade our 2020 1st round pick during the current trade period, we can still pay for Marra with a collection of 2nd rounders or whatever, right?

So to be clear, if we trade our 2020 1st round pick during the current trade period, we can still pay for Marra with a collection of 2nd rounders or whatever, right?
Yep, the issue is though we've got Nick Stevens and Ewan MacPherson to pay for too, and there's a chance either of them will go early. Best bet might be keeping next years first and downgrading it next year for a points surplus. There's always plenty of teams keen to do that.

Yep, the issue is though we've got Nick Stevens and Ewan MacPherson to pay for too, and there's a chance either of them will go early. Best bet might be keeping next years first and downgrading it next year for a points surplus. There's always plenty of teams keen to do that.
Exactly this. No way we trade our first rounder next year unless it's for more points. I'd imagine we try and trade a couple of our thirds this year for a couple of thirds next year to help as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Sydney did with Heeney?

Any change would be some way from being introduced, however, with the AFL mindful that with clubs able to trade future draft picks for next year, it couldn't change the rules for 2020. Any change would be implemented for 2021.

Teams are already pretty mad about Tarryn Thomas (pick 8) and Isaac Quaynor (pick 13), so if Marra keeps this up there is bound to be a lot of outrage.

I'm not a big fan of the current NGA system. Not sure what the answers are though. Just selfishly hope we get this kid first and then they can make the changes from there
There's a pretty easy solution that would see the AFL set up academies allowing those at risk of playing outer sports or missing out on their chance the same possibilities. They just wouldn't be club tied.

I actually think the balance is pretty good for father-son and academies. Any less and clubs would barely bother, any more and it's too much advantage at random times. At the moment there is enough incentive for the romance of family and the investment in academies. But no-one is getting ridiculous advantage. Drafts are risky regardless anyway. S'pose if I supported a club with zero benefit from it over recent years I might feel otherwise (any clubs with nothing?) but it'll all be swings and round abouts when looked at over enough years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back