Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One sign that Jamarra could hit the ground running as an AFL player was his excellent TAC form as an underager against older kids in 2019.

No pressure and if it takes longer all well and good, but there are kids ready to go (Baz, Rowell, Walsh, Naughton, Rozee, Serong, King in recent years) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jamarra is one of them

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamarra has the advantage of being super quick and athletic. Just like young Jeremy Cameron he will be bodied off the ball but its his speed that will help him compensate.

Boyd, Schache, Hawkins etc all had early career struggles due to the lack of easy ball they can win. JUH and Naughton have the burst speed that is such an advantage in the modern game.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamarra has the advantage of being super quick and athletic. Just like young Jeremy Cameron he will be bodied off the ball but its his speed that will help him compensate.

Boyd, Schache, Hawkins etc all had early career struggles due to the lack of easy ball they can win. JUH and Naughton have the burst speed that is such an advantage in the modern game.

Cameron’s a great comparison. Cameron lacks a contested marking game, where Jamarra excels. Besides that I think they’re very similar types.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cameron’s a great comparison. Cameron lacks a contested marking game, where Jamarra excels. Besides that I think they’re very similar types.

Cameron was able to burn blokes with mobility so early. JUH hopefully is in the same mould except with a better ability to take pack marks.

Naughton is more of a well rounded contested mark (can take both body to body marks and of course pack marks) but doesnt have the fluidity around goal (snaps etc) that Cameron and JUH.

Still its going to be a hell of a combination and I look forward to 200 + games together as the best KPF pairing in the comp.

Good article with a different perspective. I hope the Crows don't go down that path but it does make some sense.

The more common response to the question "Will Adelaide bid for JUH at pick 1?" has been that it takes some of the gloss off whoever they end up with (say Thilthorpe) and says to him "we didn't actually rate you the best player in the draft". Normally having the number one pick gives you bragging rights to the best junior player in the land but bidding on a player you know will be matched is a public admission that you aren't getting the best in the land.

Using Niall's logic you can sell that disappointment to fans and players alike by saying it takes the pressure off our kid.

All the pressure throughout his career will be on the bloke the Bulldogs got ... and we made them pay through the nose for him, hee hee.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JUH would be loving if he was pick 1. Gets all the additional things that come along not to mention he's by no means considered the "saviour" no1 pick.

He will simply roll into a team where he isn't required to be the number 1 KPF target in addition to being fed the ball by one of the best midfields in the league.

No other number 1 pick would have the pressure eased like he will have. Not to mention this years draftees don't have the constant media speculation the past 20 or so drafts have had. Pretty enviable situation he has.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JUH would be loving if he was pick 1. Gets all the additional things that come along not to mention he's by no means considered the "saviour" no1 pick.

He will simply roll into a team where he isn't required to be the number 1 KPF target in addition to being fed the ball by one of the best midfields in the league.

No other number 1 pick would have the pressure eased like he will have. Not to mention this years draftees don't have the constant media speculation the past 20 or so drafts have had. Pretty enviable situation he has.
Great story for us to be able to say we got the number 1 pick even though we played/close to finals. I can see both arguments. Have Adelaide ever had a number 1 pick? If this is their first I still think they’d like to say they’ve had one. Selling hope and all that.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great story for us to be able to say we got the number 1 pick even though we played/close to finals. I can see both arguments. Have Adelaide ever had a number 1 pick? If this is their first I still think they’d like to say they’ve had one. Selling hope and all that.

Interesting to see which way they go. I mean does the "number one pick stigma" actually improve a players contribution.

Adelaide also do have some young forward options already. You would think that they would like to fill a midfield spot with Sloane on his last legs and the potential for B.Crouch to go.

Interesting crossroads Adelaide are at.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting to see which way they go. I mean does the "number one pick stigma" actually improve a players contribution.

Adelaide also do have some young forward options already. You would think that they would like to fill a midfield spot with Sloane on his last legs and the potential for B.Crouch to go.

Interesting crossroads Adelaide are at.

There's also the option of taking the local boy and Crows fan in Thilthorpe. I'm not sure Thilthorpe would be in the pick 1 conversation if Adelaide wasn't the one with that pick, but there's a bit of sentimentality there.

If Adelaide somehow jumps Norf, I'd expect Norf to go for Elijah Hollands, or maybe Logan McDonald to develop alongside Ben Brown and take over when he retires.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's also the option of taking the local boy and Crows fan in Thilthorpe. I'm not sure Thilthorpe would be in the pick 1 conversation if Adelaide wasn't the one with that pick, but there's a bit of sentimentality there.

If Adelaide somehow jumps Norf, I'd expect Norf to go for Elijah Hollands, or maybe Logan McDonald to develop alongside Ben Brown and take over when he retires.
Can't see brown being at the roos next year. Pretty sure they'll pick marra or McDonald if they're available

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't see brown being at the roos next year. Pretty sure they'll pick marra or McDonald if they're available
Honestly don't see why they would bid on Marra when McDonald is an option. You either get the kid destroying full grown adults in a competitive state league, or the speculative kid who shows huge potential, but hasn't played any proper games all year. It should be a no-brainer that McDonald is selected before Marra, but after that it's only really Thilthorpe or Hollands as outside chances to be selected before a bid. McDonald is ideal for both the Crows and Roos, but Marra would likely come next.

We could get lucky and see Thilthorpe taken at 1, then McDonald at 2, but then the bid almost certainly comes for Marra

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good article with a different perspective. I hope the Crows don't go down that path but it does make some sense.

The more common response to the question "Will Adelaide bid for JUH at pick 1?" has been that it takes some of the gloss off whoever they end up with (say Thilthorpe) and says to him "we didn't actually rate you the best player in the draft". Normally having the number one pick gives you bragging rights to the best junior player in the land but bidding on a player you know will be matched is a public admission that you aren't getting the best in the land.

Using Niall's logic you can sell that disappointment to fans and players alike by saying it takes the pressure off our kid.

All the pressure throughout his career will be on the bloke the Bulldogs got ... and we made them pay through the nose for him, hee hee.
Yeah think it's just as likely to go the other way, ie want the player they take to feel the most wanted.

Freo matched Liam Henry without having enough points last year. You can go into deficit. I imagine we'll do some trading beforehand to avoid that though.
We need to plan well. If clubs know we are backed into a corner with few options they will play hard ball with us. Or we'll feel we have to overpay just to make sure a deal is done - same effect.

I certainly wouldn't want us to be forced to trade for points on the night because we hadn't planned well enough for a pick in the top 1 or 2, or because we didn't create enough vacancies to accumulate points with lower level picks.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need to plan well. If clubs know we are backed into a corner with few options they will play hard ball with us. Or we'll feel we have to overpay just to make sure a deal is done - same effect.

I certainly wouldn't want us to be forced to trade for points on the night because we hadn't planned well enough for a pick in the top 1 or 2, or because we didn't create enough vacancies to accumulate points with lower level picks.
Sammy Power has done a good job so far. Didn’t get forced into overpaying for Bruce or Keath last year when he could have folded and done just that. I reckon he will have a Good plan.

Back