Traded James Aish [traded with #69 and future 3rd to Fremantle for future 2nd & 4th]

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Sounds like he is Longmuir's version of Zac Dawson

Dawson was at least tall and played a defined role. With McPharlin and Johnson for company you could chop and change match ups and they were both pretty versatile.

Aish is kind of a low possession small that isn't all that damaging. Maybe I'm harsh on him because he was terrible in last year's GF but I've never worried about him at all playing against the Pies.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Aish played an absolute belter against West Coast in Perth this year.

But that aside, he's an efficient small defender who shuts downs flashy and crafty small forwards. Also good overhead, he can pitch in and take a good intercept mark, and is more than capable of rolling in and out of midfield as a spare man. Against a contender, you can back him in to do a good defensive job on a Dan Rioli, Brent Daniels, Gryan Miers, Josh Thomas etc.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Dawson was at least tall and played a defined role. With McPharlin and Johnson for company you could chop and change match ups and they were both pretty versatile.

Aish is kind of a low possession small that isn't all that damaging. Maybe I'm harsh on him because he was terrible in last year's GF but I've never worried about him at all playing against the Pies.
Don't think we're planning to build the club around him. I see him as a role player who brings some Collingwood intel to help the new coach fast-track the game plan. The other thing is that currently Cerra and Blakely are who we play of hb, and freeing them for more time in the midfield is a plus.

Nothing major there, but a couple of small pluses.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Don't think we're planning to build the club around him. I see him as a role player who brings some Collingwood intel to help the new coach fast-track the game plan. The other thing is that currently Cerra and Blakely are who we play of hb, and freeing them for more time in the midfield is a plus.

Nothing major there, but a couple of small pluses.

would be surprised if Aish had any ”Collingwood intel” that Longmuir doesn’t.

Dockers26

Debutant
Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haven't seen enough of him to comment really. Drafted to Brisbane as a mid/wing after 2yrs of senior footy in Adelaide and twice an U/18 AA. Played 21 games in his first season at Brisbane ave 17 disposals. Playing as a small defender at the Pies. With two wingmen leaving Fremantle could a return to the midfield be an option? Plays most of next season as a 24yo.

If nothing else, would see him as a significant upgrade on Colyer who only has a year to run and most likely wouldn't get another deal.

Interested in other thoughts/comments.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aish played an absolute belter against West Coast in Perth this year.

But that aside, he's an efficient small defender who shuts downs flashy and crafty small forwards. Also good overhead, he can pitch in and take a good intercept mark, and is more than capable of rolling in and out of midfield as a spare man. Against a contender, you can back him in to do a good defensive job on a Dan Rioli, Brent Daniels, Gryan Miers, Josh Thomas etc.

definitely a need for Freo.

We routinely get absolutely killed by small forwards

would be surprised if Aish had any ”Collingwood intel” that Longmuir doesn’t.
Obviously not, but if you're setting up the same defensive structure, he's got one of the back 6 that already knows and gets it. It'll accelerate the rest of them getting it. I don't think it's much of a bonus to be honest. Pretty reliable but boring player, pick 35-50 in my eyes. Maybe virtually free if we are desperate for cap savings.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't give up our prized pick 46 to get Aish. What exactly do Freo see in him?

building some depth in the 21-24 age group bracket.

currently our depth is Giro Banfield Colyer and a bunch of kids. Then throw in the top end picks we take this year.

we lose Hill & Langdon on top of this, so adding a few guys like Aish and Acres with hopefully Menadue will off set a little of that while the kids get exp.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't seen enough of him to comment really. Drafted to Brisbane as a mid/wing after 2yrs of senior footy in Adelaide and twice an U/18 AA. Played 21 games in his first season at Brisbane ave 17 disposals. Playing as a small defender at the Pies. With two wingmen leaving Fremantle could a return to the midfield be an option? Plays most of next season as a 24yo.

If nothing else, would see him as a significant upgrade on Colyer who only has a year to run and most likely wouldn't get another deal.

Interested in other thoughts/comments.
I suspect you’ve recruited him as a defender given your coach has coached him there for a couple of years. Not sure if that is a need for freo but it could release Ryan more. He’s very disciplined and never really gets many goals kicked on him. He’s a very good overhead mark for his size and will back into a pack when required but he tends to be too safe with the footy and doesn’t provide much run.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Funny that Hill would cost more because he was a contracted player but Aish who is also contracted is worth less to Freo supporters.

Back