Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly but I'm not sure he was ever what you'd call quick.
He was described as having a good turn of pace in his draft video, so he certainly wasn’t anywhere near as slow as he’s become.

The same thing was also said about Aish. I think you're putting a bit too much faith in comments from a draft write up.
Watch his junior highlights. He wasn’t slow. And cut the condescending bullshit it doesn’t suit you.

Watch his junior highlights. He wasn’t slow. And cut the condescending bullshit it doesn’t suit you.
I wasn't actually trying to be condescending. I do think you're putting too much faith in a draft video, if you're assuming that he was quick just because he was described that way in a draft video. People often misconstrue thinks that aren't actually fast running as being the result of pace. Eg. Even after he'd played a heap of footy - many still thought Andrew Krakeour was fast - because he had a heap of evasive tricks.

I wasn't actually trying to be condescending. I do think you're putting too much faith in a draft video, if you're assuming that he was quick just because he was described that way in a draft video. People often misconstrue thinks that aren't actually fast running as being the result of pace. Eg. Even after he'd played a heap of footy - many still thought Andrew Krakeour was fast - because he had a heap of evasive tricks.
Do you think I’m suggesting you watch his junior highlights without having watched them myself? How about you actually go and watch the videos and make a judgement for yourself instead of telling others that they’re “putting too much faith in blah blah blah”. Get some actual material to base your opinion on instead of assuming that I’m basing my entire premise on a single comment in his draft profile, which of course must be wrong because you’ve never seen him run fast since he arrived at Collingwood and spent 5 years injured... 🙄

Do you think I’m suggesting you watch his junior highlights without having watched them myself? How about you actually go and watch the videos and make a judgement for yourself instead of telling others that they’re “putting too much faith in blah blah blah”. Get some actual material to base your opinion on instead of assuming that I’m basing my entire premise on a single comment in his draft profile, which of course must be wrong because you’ve never seen him run fast since he arrived at Collingwood and spent 5 years injured... 🙄
I've seen his highlights. I've read his profiles. It's not enough for me to be convinced. James Aish's profliles said the same thing about a good turn of speed and his videos also showed him being able to get himself clear - but in both cases, I think their ability to get into the clear was to do with smarts and people mistook that for pace. So like I was suggsting, I think you're overly confidnet on his pre-draft pace without enough evidence.

I've seen his highlights. I've read his profiles. It's not enough for me to be convinced. James Aish's profliles said the same thing about a good turn of speed and his videos also showed him being able to get himself clear - but in both cases, I think their ability to get into the clear was to do with smarts and people mistook that for pace. So like I was suggsting, I think you're overly confidnet on his pre-draft pace without enough evidence.
I call bullshit. I don’t think you’ve watched said videos. Junior Shaz, whilst not lightning, was not slow, and his highlights were completely supportive of this. I’m not talking about tricks to get clear, I’m talking about his running, at pace, both chasing opponents and with the ball in the clear. It’s almost like he was a different player back then. Aggressive, attacking, and willing to put his body on the line in addition to some significant run and carry. But whatever I say you’ll smugly rebuke, so don’t bother replying.

The saddest thing about Shaz is that even last year you could see the talent and what he could offer, against Adelaide late last season he was brilliant at keeping Tex at bay while finding the ball himself (15 disposals at 93% and 7 intercept possessions). You see that and go there is a role there for him, picking up a forward (not the main key target we have Roughy and Moore for that), and using the ball cleanly and freeing up someone like a Howe to intercept and rebound. From rounds 20-22 he averaged 16 disposals at about 90% efficiency but then inevitably gets knocked out in round 23 and we don't seem him again. In a tight game against GWS you have to wonder what someone with his skills and composure and reading of the ball in the air might of changed things. I'm not saying he wins us the game or anything like that, but we needed some poise and a clear head back there and Shaz certainly provides that plus solid defensive output.

This is the make or break year for Shaz, which as a big fan of his is a shame for mine, but if he can't cement a consistent run in the 22 ahead of the likes of Madgen etc then he'll need to join Aish in searching for a new home where he can best have an opportunity to succeed. He's a better footballer than Madgen, and probably a few others in the best 22, but if he can't string consecutive games together this year than sadly I think he's done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a great backline and Aish was surplus to requirements because of this...and was obvious trade bait last season because he was worth more to another club than he was going to be for us.

We still have to squeeze Quaynor Greenwood Murphy and Scharenberg into that lineup, not to mention Langdon an automatic selection if he can get his knees right.

Cant see how Shaz stays on our list next year given how far back in the pecking order he is. He might join Crocker and Seedsman at the reject club.

We have a great backline and Aish was surplus to requirements because of this...and was obvious trade bait last season because he was worth more to another club than he was going to be for us.

We still have to squeeze Quaynor Greenwood Murphy and Scharenberg into that lineup, not to mention Langdon an automatic selection if he can get his knees right.

Cant see how Shaz stays on our list next year given how far back in the pecking order he is. He might join Crocker and Seedsman at the reject club.

There is a Chance that Langdon might never play again. Scharanberg Body is F**ked, Quyanor and Murphy are Highly Rated but only played a Few AFL Games

In a round about way we did

Freeman pick 10

Got a second rounder

Used 2 second rounders

2 x second round equals 1 x first round 😁
Does it? Why don’t we just trade two seconds for a first every year then...?

I call bullshit. I don’t think you’ve watched said videos. Junior Shaz, whilst not lightning, was not slow, and his highlights were completely supportive of this. I’m not talking about tricks to get clear, I’m talking about his running, at pace, both chasing opponents and with the ball in the clear. It’s almost like he was a different player back then. Aggressive, attacking, and willing to put his body on the line in addition to some significant run and carry. But whatever I say you’ll smugly rebuke, so don’t bother replying.

Believe it or not, when he was drafted, like a heap of Collingwood supporters, I watched all the videos I could find of him with both U18 and SANFL highlights. And as you just pointed out, he didn't look either quick or slow when playing in leagues which had a lower athletic standard than the AFL. In my mind, him not looking quick in those leagues, probably meant he was always a bit below average for the AFL. He was also an early physical developer, who appeared bigger and stronger then than he does now. So others would have also gone past him in all physical regards - including pace. But there wasn't enough footage to really tell. That's all I'm trying to say. I have no idea why you seem so angry about it.

Last edited:
The saddest thing about Shaz is that even last year you could see the talent and what he could offer, against Adelaide late last season he was brilliant at keeping Tex at bay while finding the ball himself (15 disposals at 93% and 7 intercept possessions). You see that and go there is a role there for him, picking up a forward (not the main key target we have Roughy and Moore for that), and using the ball cleanly and freeing up someone like a Howe to intercept and rebound. From rounds 20-22 he averaged 16 disposals at about 90% efficiency but then inevitably gets knocked out in round 23 and we don't seem him again. In a tight game against GWS you have to wonder what someone with his skills and composure and reading of the ball in the air might of changed things. I'm not saying he wins us the game or anything like that, but we needed some poise and a clear head back there and Shaz certainly provides that plus solid defensive output.
The efficiency is good, but he’s Tony Armstrong with the ball in hand. Doesn’t take the game on with his kicking at all.

Aish was, is, and always will be a nice little player or as Jack Dyer would say "A serviceable player, an alright type, nothing special"

Coach Longmuir knew what he was getting with this bloke and good on him for taking him with him and giving him a game. From my point of view it will be interesting to see Buck's view of the lad by whom he plays on Aish when we play them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back