Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant see him getting dropped any time soon.

Between now and the end of the season, I can only see Adams & Elliott coming in. I dont think Aish will make way for either of them.
An interesting observation.

Taking it further, Adams and Elliott are two certain entries back if fit.
I’d add Langdon if fit in this group.

On the maybe so, I’d have Scharenberg if up and about and fully right.

But Elliott and Adams, bang on they are MUST entries.

Great isn’t it, how good is this competition for spots?

An interesting observation.

Taking it further, Adams and Elliott are two certain entries back if fit.
I’d add Langdon if fit in this group.

On the maybe so, I’d have Scharenberg if up and about and fully right.

But Elliott and Adams, bang on they are MUST entries.

Great isn’t it, how good is this competition for spots.
Its a lot better than last year isnt it?

I'm starting to think Langdon might not get back. We haven't really been told what's going on there.

Scharenberg is the interesting one. Does he force his way in, and if so, at who's expense?

I'd love to see Daicos get a few games before the end of the season just in case we need some back up come finals time.

On the weekend he had his best performance. But the weeks prior to that, and pretty much ever since he has been in defence he has been solid. Much more solid then a majority of posters give him credit for. Posters remember 2-3 clangers, and completely disregarded his 1on1 defensive ability and what he bring to the team, pretty much until this weekend.

The team selection committee certainly agrees with my views that he has been solid in this role. Or else he would not have been selected every single time he is available!

Anyways, its great to see him repay my public faith in Him haha. Even better for him personally, proving doubters wrong.

That's a very simplistic argument. All the viable alternatives are either injured (Appleby, Langdon, Murphy, T Brown) or learning the caper (IQ) so it's not really a tough call for selectors.

I'm an Aish fan, I think he's been solid in what is essentially a new role for him, but we need to see more of the Monday's version of him or he'll always be under duress to hold his spot..

That's a very simplistic argument. All the viable alternatives are either injured (Appleby, Langdon, Murphy, T Brown) or learning the caper (IQ) so it's not really a tough call for selectors.

I'm an Aish fan, I think he's been solid in what is essentially a new role for him, but we need to see more of the Monday's version of him or he'll always be under duress to hold his spot..
I mean yeah you can look at it like that. But for a majority of his Collingwood career to date, he has been selected when fit. And for someone so poor in some posters eyes, if the coaches viewed him the same, i would assume he would’ve spent longer periods in the VFL, especially after an injury lay-off.
Always seems to be rushed back in after an injury

I mean yeah you can look at it like that. But for a majority of his Collingwood career to date, he has been selected when fit. And for someone so poor in some posters eyes, if the coaches viewed him the same, i would assume he would’ve spent longer periods in the VFL, especially after an injury lay-off.

I don't buy into a lot of the negativity about him, even when he was playing wing last year he was solid. But even then, we were beset by injuries limiting alternative options. It's worked heavily in his favour and allowed him plenty of time to find his feet. Things may well have gone a different way if we had a full list to pick from. You only have to go back to 2016 & 2017 to see how much VFL he was playing when there were alternatives

His return in R9 allowed Mayne to return to the wing (where we seem to prefer he plays) so was a logical inclusion given he'd only missed 3 weeks and the alternatives were all in the medical room.

I'll leave it there.

I don't buy into a lot of the negativity about him, even when he was playing wing last year he was solid. But even then, we were beset by injuries limiting alternative options. It's worked heavily in his favour and allowed him plenty of time to find his feet. Things may well have gone a different way if we had a full list to pick from. You only have to go back to 2016 & 2017 to see how much VFL he was playing when there were alternatives

His return in R9 allowed Mayne to return to the wing (where we seem to prefer he plays) so was a logical inclusion given he'd only missed 3 weeks and the alternatives were all in the medical room.

I'll leave it there.
Im with you on the first point, he isn’t a perfect player, but with what he cops on here, you’d assume he brought nothing to the team, which is flat out wrong.

That is true we have been cruelled by injuries for years now. I will concede that, it Could have played out differently if we had of had more healthy lists.

without actually looking at games played etc, my gut feel is he played VFL in 16/17 but was given more then enough opportunities in the seniors, which id assume is because the coaches wanted him around

The other side of the equation is that coaches often back in guys that they believe will become very good footballers. This often means that they continue to select them even if their performances are below par. Maynard wasn't AFL standard in his first season, but the coaches wanted to accelerate his development becasue they were confident of what he could become. Cam Rayner from Brisbane would have been dropped a month ago if the coaches were judging solely on current performance. In my opinion, Aish's confidence was low and thus his performance was sub-standard for a period, but the coaches backed him in like they did Maynard and like Brisbane are with Rayner.

The other side of the equation is that coaches often back in guys that they believe will become very good footballers. This often means that they continue to select them even if their performances are below par. Maynard wasn't AFL standard in his first season, but the coaches wanted to accelerate his development becasue they were confident of what he could become. Cam Rayner from Brisbane would have been dropped a month ago if the coaches were judging solely on current performance. In my opinion, Aish's confidence was low and thus his performance was sub-standard for a period, but the coaches backed him in like they did Maynard and like Brisbane are with Rayner.
Yep, can’t argue with that

Cant see him getting dropped any time soon.

Between now and the end of the season, I can only see Adams & Elliott coming in. I dont think Aish will make way for either of them.

Agree. Either his form would need to drop dramatically or the form of others like Murphy, Appleby and IQ would need to become irresistible. Langdon the other certain inclusion when fit. That might cause selectors some headaches.

I watched the replay again last night and I stand by my description of Aish's game on Monday.

It was "faultless" not one error in sight and I was looking with both my eyes this time.

Hopefully this game is a catalyst to him becoming a consistent footballer.

I know every team needs a kicking boy, but FFS, Aish has been a revelation this year and deserves his spot in the team..and...has earned his spot in the team. Can we kick someone else now. Maybe an opposition player.

I reckon Aish has struggled this year with one really exceptional game against Melbourne. I find it hard to consider him a revelation. I perceive him as a player with a lot of potential, who is working through some form/injury issues, and who has had it click for one game. I want to see more of that form now because it was really excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree defensively Aish has been good this year. I also like his attack on ground balls and his handballing. Deceptively good overhead too. I don't like to dismiss the turn overs in assessing his early season form though. They were poor and had me really concerned he was getting flustered by foot when pressured. That is big because you cant have players turn to water in finals. I still have that concern. Very happy with his game against Melbourne and now hope he can continue that form on.

Aish not the only Player at Collingwood that has Turnover Issues

Aish-o has looked a different player recently. What’s the “new” role and what was the prior?

Aish-o has looked a different player recently. What’s the “new” role and what was the prior?

Historically has played midfield (starting centre square or wing) with occasional stints at HF. Was playing wing when he did his PCL last year. Came back from the PCL late in the season and was moved to HB.

So should we Drop Treloar as he can be Turn Over the Ball a Fair Bit
No we shouldn’t drop Treloar. He brings more value in his contested and uncontested possessions, tackles, goals, etc, and more of his turnovers are mid/forward parts of the ground. Aisha turnovers are often deep inside defence, and would mostly result in an opposition inside fifty and/or shot on goal. And he doesn’t counterbalance with greater contribution in other areas like treloar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back