Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth.... a very expensive depth player. A good one to have around still as he can slot into a few roles and perform moderately... and secondly, he's worth nothing on the trade table by now.

A new 2 year deal gives him one more roll of the dice to find a spot before the likes of Quaynor, Daicos or T Brown nail down one of the few remaining spots available for the taking given the still mostly youthful profile of our team.

But that's footy. Spend overs to lure a relative bust in Aish, Mayne or Wells...

but then spend relative unders on recruiting WHE, Howe, Varcoe, Dunn given their value to the team
Did we actually pay overs for Aish, or in light of last season, Mayne? Wells certainly needs to string some games together at the right time of the year to justify his recruitment. But as you say, you don't win on every deal. Dunn, for instance, was a bit of a surprise package and performed above my expectation of him. I believe we have at least started picking more winners than losers in our trades.

Depth.... a very expensive depth player. A good one to have around still as he can slot into a few roles and perform moderately... and secondly, he's worth nothing on the trade table by now.

A new 2 year deal gives him one more roll of the dice to find a spot before the likes of Quaynor, Daicos or T Brown nail down one of the few remaining spots available for the taking given the still mostly youthful profile of our team.

But that's footy. Spend overs to lure a relative bust in Aish, Mayne or Wells...

but then spend relative unders on recruiting WHE, Howe, Varcoe, Dunn given their value to the team

People might agree with you Calling Mayne a Bust. He had a terrible 1st Season but ended the Season being 1 of our Best Player in the Grand Final.

Too early to call Aish a Total Bust yet.

So you would take a Few Steps Backwards in next 2 seasons then playing the Super Raw Kids?

Did we actually pay overs for Aish, or in light of last season, Mayne? Wells certainly needs to string some games together at the right time of the year to justify his recruitment. But as you say, you don't win on every deal. Dunn, for instance, was a bit of a surprise package and performed above my expectation of him. I believe we have at least started picking more winners than losers in our trades.

I agree we won more trades then we have lost

People might agree with you Calling Mayne a Bust. He had a terrible 1st Season but ended the Season being 1 of our Best Player in the Grand Final.

So you would take a Few Steps Backwards in next 2 seasons then playing the Super Raw Kids?
Sometimes I love the conclusions you come to for other posters? 'So you would take a Few Steps Backwards in next 2 seasons then playing the Super Raw Kids?'. Classic Dave! Most enjoyable!

Wells and Mayne cost nothing to get as they were free agents.
Yes, they cost salary cap, but as I don’t see everyone’s contracts and don’t know the range of where we sit (95% or ecen 105%) I’m not as fussed as others. You can always payout or stretch out payments etc.

Not sure Aish is on too high dollars so he’d be on fair wage for a good to better than depth piece.

Aish is not a bust. He did ok overall, injury hurt, but worked his way back.
Unsure he’s highly paid so he’s fine.
Mayne has a poor first year but was fine last season culminating in an excellent grand final.

Aish is not a bust. He did ok overall, injury hurt, but worked his way back.
Unsure he’s highly paid so he’s fine.

Yeah Hard to see Aish on too big of a Salary and I think people thoughts on Aish are in the Middle in that he has Upside but has not lived up to Expectations except for a Few of his Best Games.

Hopefully does start in the RD 1 team vs Cats

Wells and Mayne cost nothing to get as they were free agents.
Yes, they cost salary cap, but as I don’t see everyone’s contracts and don’t know the range of where we sit (95% or ecen 105%) I’m not as fussed as others. You can always payout or stretch out payments etc.

Not sure Aish is on too high dollars so he’d be on fair wage for a good to better than depth piece.
What? I thought all the contracts had to get your approval!

Yeah Hard to see Aish on too big of a Salary and I think people thoughts on Aish are in the Middle in that he has Upside but has not lived up to Expectations except for a Few of his Best Games.

Hopefully does start in the RD 1 team vs Cats
He played the finals series so he can't have been playing too badly. I don't mind him. He can play various positions and is better than some raw recruit.

Aish showed some positive signs last season. I was concerned he’d be a complete bust, but I definitely think he’d have to have a stinker of a year to be in the line of sight for delisting this season. C Brown, Murray, Broomhead would be lower on the pecking order and we have a multitude of older players coming to the end. I’d expect a few of Reid, Mayne, Varcoe, Wells, Goldsack, Greenwood to be considering their future at the end of the year, and I daresay a few of them might have got a reprieve simply because of their own injuries last year.

Agree he's ahead of C Brown, Murray and Broomhead... but of the older players you mentioned that will depart in 12-24 months, Aish won't be able to replace Reid, Varcoe, Dunn or Goldsack roles...

I think the raw kids are coming along very well. Quaynor looks likely to lock down a back 6 position this year leaving no room for Aish to hold down a weekly back 6 spot unless a player there is struck down with injury.

Daicos and T Brown have been lauded for their recent development. Daicos has similar attributes to Aish but a superior kick to set up play. T Brown has a lot more outside run and is probably still 12 months away from pushing for a senior spot.

Long story short I think the kids are catching up to Aish. Once they are fully developed there will less room for Aish in the best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one I'd say we paid overs for is Wells.

Mayne and Aish the jury is out. They both played in a team that made the GF.

Only one I'd say we paid overs for is Wells.

Mayne and Aish the jury is out. They both played in a team that made the GF.
Wells was a decent shot on his potential upside. Been a shame not to have had him on the park last season and hard to see where he fits this season unless fully fit and firing on all cylinders, but I still think it was worth the risk.

I see Aish as more borderline - best 25 instead of best 22. Still may have a break out year but, should and will be fighting for a spot in the early rounds.

I see Aish as more borderline - best 25 instead of best 22. Still may have a break out year but, should and will be fighting for a spot in the early rounds.
Not sure if he'll ever have a breakout year, but definitely deserves a constant spot on the emergency list if he's not playing. A very serviceable depth player.

Aish problem is he has not really got a position that he can call his own, but on the flip side he can fill in in quite a few positions forward, back and mid field. He will start in the best 22, but wether he stays there is up to him.
Like to see him on the wing myself.

Aish problem is he has not really got a position that he can call his own, but on the flip side he can fill in in quite a few positions forward, back and mid field. He will start in the best 22, but wether he stays there is up to him.
Like to see him on the wing myself.

Agree. He played his best football on the wing -- injured and Mayne took his spot.

Beautiful ball handling and he has shown some glimpses, but he needs to build confidence and start to take the game on. Came to the AFL with a reputation for class, composure, awareness and creativity and showed some massive signs in his first year with the Lions, but he's since devolved into a neutral ball user - at best. When he gets it in space, he rarely does anything with it except pass the responsibility to someone else. When he gets it under pressure, he regularly just hacks it forward, often to our detriment. The signs of awareness, vision and creativity that were obvious in his early days have seemed to disappear.

I think he's got some pretty high potential, if he can rediscover the confidence of his early days, but unless he finds a bit more dare and purpose, I don't like his chances of maintaining a spot in this team.

You feel Aish will probably have to elevate himself to the next level in 2019 if he is to cement a place within the 22.

Question is though how much improvement is still left?

He'll be one of the more interesting player stories to keep track of this season.

James Aish did this ^ 6-7 years ago (when he was just 16), in a (senior) SANFL Grand Final. He has the talent to be a star player at any level. He has lots of talent. Whether we're not playing him in the right position, or the player is just not performing for some reason, I don't know! I hope this year we really see him 'arrive'.

James Aish did this ^ 6-7 years ago (when he was just 16), in a (senior) SANFL Grand Final. He has the talent to be a star player at any level. He has lots of talent. Whether we're not playing him in the right position, or the player is just not performing for some reason, I don't know! I hope this year we really see him 'arrive'.

Jimmy Aish looks happy in that clip, finding open space and taking a few bounces before kicking a goal in the GF, but that joy and exuberance --and that open space!-- has been harder for him to find at AFL.

He did have moments in 2017 where he looked like he belonged to the game, before he copped an injury, and it'd be great for us and him if he can get back to that place.

Wells was a decent shot on his potential upside. Been a shame not to have had him on the park last season and hard to see where he fits this season unless fully fit and firing on all cylinders, but I still think it was worth the risk.

His age, injury history and the contract length all make it a poor shot, plus the generous wage. The guy is 34 years old and still had 2 years on his contract with us FFS, that is just dumb and we're damn lucky he was nice enough to give up the last year... That essentially saved our skins, so you can't say it was a good deal.

From a salary cap perspective all 3 were overs because none of them delivered on the value they were signed at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back