Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think people expect him to be a star because of where he was picked in the draft. That's not unreasonable.

For me, he's a good footballer without being a stellar athlete. I have a soft spot for guys like that. He's also been cruelled by injuries every time he started to really show us what he can do.

The club is a better place with James Aish in the squad and I'm glad he's a Pie.

I think yesterday provided a very good comparison with both Aish and Salem taken top 10 in that 2013 draft. Salem at this stage the more dynamic but been playing defense longer, Aish the better mark and better disposal. Both very good at their craft though.

Agree, he is great in the air for his size.

As above though, it is his effectiveness by foot that hurts us over and over, and the reason I want him out of our 22.

So should we Drop Treloar as he can be Turn Over the Ball a Fair Bit

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Good game from Aish yesterday. I'm on the fence with him a bit at the moment, and I'd have Scharenberg in his spot when Shaz is ready. But he is doing his job week in week out I reckon. I'd say internally, he is ticking a lot of boxes the coaches want. He takes an opponent and positions himself really well. And he is good in the air.

Aish to me has always benefited from consistency at senior level. When he gets injured, he takes a while to re-adjust. But when he strings games together and builds confidence, he is a solid player.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
So should we Drop Treloar as he can be Turn Over the Ball a Fair Bit

images (14).jpeg

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think yesterday provided a very good comparison with both Aish and Salem taken top 10 in that 2013 draft. Salem at this stage the more dynamic but been playing defense longer, Aish the better mark and better disposal. Both very good at their craft though.
Salems disposal was a bit off yesterday. But generally speaking, his disposal is at a much higher level to Aish’s at this stage. Aish though is much better in the air, in 1v1 contests, and much harder at the ball and man.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Salems disposal was a bit off yesterday. But generally speaking, his disposal is at a much higher level to Aish’s at this stage. Aish though is much better in the air, in 1v1 contests, and much harder at the ball and man.

Yeah, I was only commenting on yesterday's game in terms of Salem's disposal.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, give me Aish over Salem every day of the week though

They're both at points where they could go on to have really solid careers, or alternatively could disappointingly filter away.

I suspect that Salem would be rated slightly higher by other clubs.

But I think Aish will end up better. His ball handling is elite. He sometimes shows the elite awareness that he had a reputation for. I think confidence has been a stumbling block, but that appears to be growing strongly.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
They're both at points where they could go on to have really solid careers, or alternatively could disappointingly filter away.

I suspect that Salem would be rated slightly higher by other clubs.

But I think Aish will end up better. His ball handling is elite. He sometimes shows the elite awareness that he had a reputation for. I think confidence has been a stumbling block, but that appears to be growing strongly.
Salem is too outside for me, will be a solid player, but held back by lack of strength and hardness.

Yep 100% agree, confidence is Aish’s biggest hurdle. Every time he starts to build some he has had an unfortunate impact injury.

Salem is too outside for me, will be a solid player, but held back by lack of strength and hardness.

Yep 100% agree, confidence is Aish’s biggest hurdle. Every time he starts to build some he has had an unfortunate impact injury.

Really good signs with his confidence. He's beginning to want to use the ball to advantage, rather than looking terrified of making a mistake and wanting to get rid of it and make it someone else's problem, which is where he was at for his first couple of years at the club. He's actually one of our better kicks to a target. It goes wrong when he does these nothing floaters down the line.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really good signs with his confidence. He's beginning to want to use the ball to advantage, rather than looking terrified of making a mistake and wanting to get rid of it and make it someone else's problem, which is where he was at for his first couple of years at the club. He's actually one of our better kicks to a target. It goes wrong when he does these nothing floaters down the line.
Yep. He has hit a couple bullet 40metre passes into space for a player to run onto it perfectly in his time. A matter of time before thats the norm

Good game from Aish yesterday. I'm on the fence with him a bit at the moment, and I'd have Scharenberg in his spot when Shaz is ready. But he is doing his job week in week out I reckon. I'd say internally, he is ticking a lot of boxes the coaches want. He takes an opponent and positions himself really well. And he is good in the air.

Aish to me has always benefited from consistency at senior level. When he gets injured, he takes a while to re-adjust. But when he strings games together and builds confidence, he is a solid player.

I think Shaz will find it hard to get game with the Backline is going this season.

Unless you Drop 1 of Mayne,Varcoe and Thomas and Move Aish on Wing or Forward

Agree Aish need to stay in AFL Team.

See his Form Dips because of Injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Aish was excellent on the weekend. His form prior to injury was pretty ordinary though so if he was copping criticism it was probably warranted. I thought he was close to being dropoed earlier in the year and was hoping we'd stick with him so he could work through his form issues. He has a bit to offer which he showed against Melbourne. If Shaz comes in reckon Aish and Greenwood look most vulnerable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aish was excellent on the weekend. His form prior to injury was pretty ordinary though so if he was copping criticism it was probably warranted. I thought he was close to being dropoed earlier in the year and was hoping we'd stick with him so he could work through his form issues. He has a bit to offer which he showed against Melbourne. If Shaz comes in reckon Aish and Greenwood look most vulnerable.
On the weekend he had his best performance. But the weeks prior to that, and pretty much ever since he has been in defence he has been solid. Much more solid then a majority of posters give him credit for. Posters remember 2-3 clangers, and completely disregarded his 1on1 defensive ability and what he bring to the team, pretty much until this weekend.

The team selection committee certainly agrees with my views that he has been solid in this role. Or else he would not have been selected every single time he is available!

Anyways, its great to see him repay my public faith in Him haha. Even better for him personally, proving doubters wrong.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
On the weekend he had his best performance. But the weeks prior to that, and pretty much ever since he has been in defence he has been solid. Much more solid then a majority of posters give him credit for. Posters remember 2-3 clangers, and completely disregarded his 1on1 defensive ability and what he bring to the team, pretty much until this weekend.

The team selection committee certainly agrees with my views that he has been solid in this role. Or else he would not have been selected every single time he is available!

Anyways, its great to see him repay my public faith in Him haha. Even better for him personally, proving doubters wrong.

I agree defensively Aish has been good this year. I also like his attack on ground balls and his handballing. Deceptively good overhead too. I don't like to dismiss the turn overs in assessing his early season form though. They were poor and had me really concerned he was getting flustered by foot when pressured. That is big because you cant have players turn to water in finals. I still have that concern. Very happy with his game against Melbourne and now hope he can continue that form on.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree defensively Aish has been good this year. I also like his attack on ground balls and his handballing. Deceptively good overhead too. I don't like to dismiss the turn overs in assessing his early season form though. They were poor and had me really concerned he was getting flustered by foot when pressured. That is big because you cant have players turn to water in finals. I still have that concern. Very happy with his game against Melbourne and now hope he can continue that form on.
I understand the concern, and there is no denying it was a concern. But to me, it was all about his confidence, he clearly didn’t feel safe in the side yet. I have seen him with high confidence and his kicking was not a problem.

The more he feels at home in the 22, the less turnovers we’ll see

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I understand the concern, and there is no denying it was a concern. But to me, it was all about his confidence, he clearly didn’t feel safe in the side yet. I have seen him with high confidence and his kicking was not a problem.

The more he feels at home in the 22, the less turnovers we’ll see
Confidence is an amazing thing.

Confidence lost everything lost.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Shaz will find it hard to get game with the Backline is going this season.

Unless you Drop 1 of Mayne,Varcoe and Thomas and Move Aish on Wing or Forward

Agree Aish need to stay in AFL Team.

See his Form Dips because of Injury
Once he’s ready and going they’ll find room for him.

Class and poise.
Never can have enough of it.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Feel Sorry for Aish.

Plays Really Well and Still some fans call him a Dud:rolleyes:
Dave, doesn’t matter what people say, they’re just opinions.

Except the coaches, what they say counts and those opinions matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back