Past James Bell - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:
Whenever I see him play I just can't help but think he's just not quite at the level required. He just always seems to be hovering around a certain mark, but not capable of taking that extra step up. In saying that, we have been surprised by a player's progression before, and Bell could be capable of taking a step up for all we know. I think there's enough there to give him oportunities next year. And I think being able to come into a team that's performing and winning matches could give him that platform, and if given the oportunities, he could show us that he can add something extra to the team. I think it's worth a Crack, however, he'd probably be reliant on injury for an opportunity because I can't see who he'd replace at this point.

I don’t think the criticism of Bell is racist. But it does tend to go beyond the constructive. You’d think the seasons of Reid and Clarke (and Fox) this year, a year we made the Grand Final would give cause for people to be more cautious about writing players off.

Especially Academy graduates.
If you've forgotten Sam Reid was a Premiership player in 12 and was sought after by a few clubs , sadly cruel by injuries .
This is a footy fan site and people make comments on players whether they like them or not and as long as it's in line it's allowed . For people to say it's racist is beyond me.

James Bell 23yo. Ryan Clarke 25yo. By the Clarke measurement, we should give him a 2 year contract.

Ask also this. Bell is a Blood because Goodes got in his ear. Who’s to say Bell doesn’t have a similar effect. He certainly looks to be an engaging popular type of kid.

Every club has to have foot soldiers. Except Richmond and Geelong. Even more so with Tassie likely coming on board. There is an enormous social club benefit in those foot soldiers being Academy graduates, especially if they are indigenous Academy graduates.

I say extend both Bell and Wicks.

If you've forgotten Sam Reid was a Premiership player in 12 and was sought after by a few clubs , sadly cruel by injuries .
This is a footy fan site and people make comments on players whether they like them or not and as long as it's in line it's allowed . For people to say it's racist is beyond me.
I never forgot that and was unwavering in my support of Reid. I was right. I wanted Clarke delisted. I was wrong.

Opinions are fine. Analysis and criticism is also fine. Sometimes though I think the criticism goes beyond what’s reasonable and becomes unjustified and cruel online bullying.

I never forgot that and was unwavering in my support of Reid. I was right. I wanted Clarke delisted. I was wrong.

Opinions are fine. Analysis and criticism is also fine. Sometimes though I think the criticism goes beyond what’s reasonable and becomes unjustified and cruel online bullying.
Like those on here who are so woke that they can't see anything the other way.

Alway been surprised how many people love sticking the boot into young Bell. Works hard, seems popular with the lads. Bit of crossover with the 'clarko has been done wrong by the Media' crowd and a few hold outs from the 'jetta is soft as custard' group as well.
Are you dividing posters into categories mate?

Once again, time will tell who stays on the list.

James Bell 23yo. Ryan Clarke 25yo. By the Clarke measurement, we should give him a 2 year contract.

Ask also this. Bell is a Blood because Goodes got in his ear. Who’s to say Bell doesn’t have a similar effect. He certainly looks to be an engaging popular type of kid.

Every club has to have foot soldiers. Except Richmond and Geelong. Even more so with Tassie likely coming on board. There is an enormous social club benefit in those foot soldiers being Academy graduates, especially if they are indigenous Academy graduates.

I say extend both Bell and Wicks.
I say that lists need to be turned over. If Belly can still offer what we need going forward than we certainly give hime another contract but list spots are precious. Reid has always brought a very unique role to the team. Clearly it's something Horse cherishes & Reid's contracts reinforce that.
Injury has been his only enemy & again it raised it's head for the GF.
James Bell will get a contract if he remains on the cusp of selection while at the same time continues to improve his game. If not, players get overtaken quickly by others.

Heap of players aren't good enough for AFL and don't have nearly as many posts saying as much. When it comes from posters who also spent years calling Jetta a pea heart you notice this stuff.
Check the

Please give some examples of the cruel online bullying that has occurred with James Bell

Heap of players aren't good enough for AFL and don't have nearly as many posts saying as much. When it comes from posters who also spent years calling Jetta a pea heart you notice this stuff.

If you’re going to throw around accusations of racism, please provide the examples. By your reckoning there should be plenty of material available as they “spent years calling Jetta a pea heart”

I watched Bell closely at the ground in his last game v Carlton and noted the following:

He’s a smooth mover and extremely quick, however he barely lays a tackle or uses his pace to his advantage, I’ll comment below on this

He went up for 3-4 marking contests, not only did he get out marked, but he barely even laid a hand on the ball including against Lochy OBrien who is hardly renowned for his overhead marking

As the ball came down from the wing or through the centre, instead of leading at the player into space (who needed a forward option), he would either run away back towards goal or sideways to the boundary. If his instructions were to make sure he wasn’t a quick leading option for a hit up pass he followed them perfectly

When the ball was kicked to a marking contest deep in the forward line he didn’t attempt to rove the pack, instead staying on the 50 metre arc. Maybe that was by instruction but it left us short when the ball hit the ground. He was basically never in a dangerous position for a forward and thus didn’t need to be marked by his defender

This leads me to my next point

As a pressure forward his job is to make sure that he lays tackles, panics the defenders, and make sure that they are under pressure getting the ball out of defence. However as he was never where the ball was he couldn’t perform this role and the Blued defenders were able to walk the ball out of their backline without any pressure. That is why his tackle numbers are so low despite his pace. Saad, Carlton’s most dangerous attacking defender had a day out

You can argue that he was playing to his coaches instructions, if so then Longmire needs to be questioned, however the more likely scenario is that he’s an average footballer without an ability to find the ball regularly or a great deal of football nous.

His VFL form when I watched was ok without being outstanding. He does find the ball more there but he’s usually out in space on the wing and he generally doesn’t do much with it. He will neither have that time or space at senior level

As for the comparisons with Reid and Clarke, Reid is a premiership winning centre half forward who has shown his worth to the team time and time again. If not for injury he would’ve had a much better and more consistent career

Clarke’s disposal is shocking, how he got this far without being able to handball properly is beyond me, but he knocks up getting possessions at VFL level, and has shown in his time at both North and Sydney that he can do the same at senior level. More recently he has demonstrated how good he is at putting on the hard tag

I haven’t seen one game from Bell at senior or VFL level which has made me think he will ever put it together

The frustration on these forums is because he was consistently gifted games over more talented and in form footballers and we lost multiple games as a result.

It has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, end of story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a vocal member of the anti-Bell bandwagon

No one would be happier than me if he could contribute to a game and be a consistant best 22 player like Clarke and Stephens have this year

But I have seen nothing that suggests it will happen

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I haven't had time to read through the thread.
Does anyone think he needs to be training and playing exclusively as an inside mid, extractor, kennedy style? That role seems to be one many think needs filling. It's pretty clear he isn't cutting the mustard as a high half forward or small pressure forward and I think we have those spots fairly well covered.
I think he has the size for the role, let's see if he has the ability. If he can get the hang of it combined with his speed he could become something. He needs to find a role or it will be curtains for him.

I was pretty careful not to accuse anyone of racism, jusmade the observation that some of the people who feature heavily in this thread saying bell is crap/won't make it etc also made a lot of claims about how much physical courage Jetta had. Just an observation and you drew the link that racism inflect that. If anyone wants spend a bit of time with the search function checking up on what various users have said here over years I'd suggest to them they gofor a walk outside and think about the infinite possibilities of human experience that they might find more rewarding than that.

I was pretty careful not to accuse anyone of racism, jusmade the observation that some of the people who feature heavily in this thread saying bell is crap/won't make it etc also made a lot of claims about how much physical courage Jetta had. Just an observation and you drew the link that racism inflect that. If anyone wants spend a bit of time with the search function checking up on what various users have said here over years I'd suggest to them they gofor a walk outside and think about the infinite possibilities of human experience that they might find more rewarding than that.
Your on Big Footy on a club page and with that people are allowed their views on a player , as long as it follows board rules !
I've been hard at him , but have said he's a bloody good VFL player , but after his stuff ups last year in the final he's not good enough to make our AFL team .

Deccas come on mate. It was a triple whammy. Pretty difficult not to infer a race element in your post.

Well said , it's gone too far on here .
I have nothing against the young man , he's a bloody good VFL player and has had so many chances at the top level and he's not good enough . I used to say the same thing about Jarrod Sunquist , but someone will take it in the wrong way , probably go so far as i have something against Swedes !
Myth debunked. You've made it clear your love of ABBA in the past.

James Bell exit interview, October 3, 2022:

“c’mon Horse, Take A Chance On Me”.

“Well, I don’t know James, you haven’t exactly been a Super Trouper this year”

I could go on …. but won’t.
"But Horse, I'm yet to meet my Waterloo"

Clarke's comeback has made me question my previous opinion about Bell. I think team players that role into training and play in the VFL with no expectations are important to a teams culture.

I do think his spot on the list is tenuous (similar to Clarke who probably would have been delisted this year), and I feel that his spot is dependent on trading in other players.

Delist but Rookie him,

Or for him a year in the SANFL or WAFL may be better way back into AFL

There a many many outstanding VFL players but for some reason can’t take the next step…I see Bell as a very very good VFL player..

Personally , Bell has plenty of opportunities and failed to take them…

But for patience sake, free up a spot on the list and give him a year as a Rookie, if he still can’t take that final step, it will be thanks for the Memory……………

Remove this Banner Ad

Back