Radio James Brayshaw. Good commentator?

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Considering blocking every person in this thread.

No, just no. Listen to ABC, you'll be surprised to hear commentators who are actually interested in the game. Better yet, watch the World Cup. You hear that commentary doesn't have to be pissing contest, or 'high-octane', for the game to still be exciting. The game is exciting, that's the point - the comments are there to understand the excitement that's going on, not provide it.

BTW, there are 3 fricken breaks during an AFL game to discuss, analyse and sermonise - Why are we seeing heatmaps, wind-charts, boundary riders and even footage of the 4-person commentary teams while the game is on? Ridiculous.
Should.block you. Some people don't like the dry slow old person radio stations. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.
I hate the ABC and much prefer MMM. Wont see me on the ABC threads giving people shit though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reubski23

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Patriots & Bulls
I love JB he is by far my favorite commentator adds passion and enthusiasm to a call- doesn’t come armed with rehearsed jokes or lines at the end. Just calls it organically to him and it is great.

Sunday afternoon with JB&BT took me back 13 years ago when they used to call on C9 with Garry on the Tv. It was good then it was better now

gavaniacono

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Love him or hate him, Saturday night footy has become 1000 times more bearable with James Brayshaw replacing Basil.
Sadly for everyone concerned I dont think thats true. Basil tries hard and is a dork, but he's doesnt induce cultural cringe to the levels of breigjshaw.

compact72

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
JB is a good commentator too however he bias for North irritates me.

He hates bulldogs with a passion, but overall he ain't too bad.

People just sook because they can, aleast they add excitement into the game rather then the tone-deaf boring crap other stations produce

The King!

Supervisor
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
I like his call, one of the better ones but the general standard is shit so it is not saying much

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Should.block you. Some people don't like the dry slow old person radio stations. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.
I hate the ABC and much prefer MMM. Wont see me on the ABC threads giving people shit though.
Slimeballs and pigs in suits guffawing about each other's 'rigs'... Spare me. I'll take the option where they call the game.

Based on the fact that you somehow think that ABC commentary is more geared towards old people... I'd say you've never listened.

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He's done well this year calling footy on TV. I haven't listened to him on radio for a number of years. When i did listen to him calling footy on the radio i wasn't impressed.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
He's ok, gets a pass mark for mine.

Take him over the likes of absolute ****in dipshits like Basil, Sandy or even Bruce anyway.
Brayshaw is in the same category as Dwayne Russell in that they can both actually call games quite well, but their ego, limited vocabulary and love of catchphrases diminishes (or vastly diminishes in Dwayne's case) the quality of the call.
Russell is most frustrating in that imo he is actually reasonably intelligent and could be a very good commentator if he just cut out all the crap like the stupid catchphrases and called the game straight.

windyhill

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
He’s ok. This makes him brilliant in comparison to the majority of the commentators we are tortured with. He’s barely on t.v which is to his advantage, IE, less is more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fabab

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t mind JB,can’t stand Taylor or zempilas and dal santo in any show gets volume turned down and can’t watch the lowdown cos he’s on it.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
JB has never been my cup of tea but I must admit he is far more listenable now that he is playing it straight on channel seven. With BT on their staff there was clearly not enough room for another over the top clown at the network and as a result Bradshaw leaves the obnoxious yelling behind when he departs the MMM box. I have actually watched some games that JB is calling with the mute button off ( as long as Taylor isn’t around ) and that certainly not what I was predicting.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Yes. Not amazing but good.

Which compared to the most of the dross he’s up against makes him a standout.

wagstaff

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Couldn’t stand him when he commentated the cricket on Ch 9 but have to admit he was pretty decent calling the footy this year.

If nothing else, Ch 7’s Sat night coverage has improved from the unbearable self-indulgence of when BT & Darcy we’re running things.

Catoggio76

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting that ex Triple M Melbourne boss and (now) ex Cricket Australia Media Boss Ben Amarfio was caught acting as Brayshaw's agent a year or so ago, and plants Brayshaw at Channel 7..... just before Ch 7 gets the cricket rights.

Top Bottom