Radio James Brayshaw. Good commentator?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else think James Brayshaw is a good commentator?

I've only heard him call the game once, as I'm not a big fan of radio. I seemed to like his voice and style, despite some of the stupid cliches he kept repeating... and obvious stupidity.

IMO, he's a WAAAAY better commentator than Bruce McAvaney. Every time I listen to Bruce calling a match, I feel like he's letting the game down with his slow, analytical style. -Not to mention a wussy voice. I'm bored to tears. Even Eddie McGuire was a better commentator.

Am I alone on this one?

Not directed at you after 11 years, but it’s funny how new commentators are generally received positively as “fresh” and “insightful” before eventually coming back to the pack of commentating mediocrity.

My opinions a little mixed on him

I just don't like him due to the footy show, so I'm a little bias against him but his TV commentary is somewhat bearable (compared to the rest of his competition anyway).

He can't call the fast frenetic plays like Huddo can though.

He's low rent, with his low grade slang and crappy old generation ockerism, anti-smart because he thinks its effeminate to speak properly and say smart things.

I think he is pretty good. Not amazing but compared to the rest of them he is good. Huddo and BT are probably my favourite among the main tv callers. Brayshaw is probably third, although I quite like Sandy who everyone seems to dislike so eh

I think Brayshaw is one of the better ones honestly. He's not a dumb-ass like Darcy and not a cartoon character like BT.

Bruce used to be one of the best but he's passed it now. He really should retire.
Agree.

Brayshaw is in the same category as Dwayne Russell in that they can both actually call games quite well, but their ego, limited vocabulary and love of catchphrases diminishes (or vastly diminishes in Dwayne's case) the quality of the call.

JB isn't quite as bad as the old firestarter himself thankfully.

Shouldn't do North games though. Not because he's terribly biased but because he knows far too much about the North players so launches in to unnecessary facts and stories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was weird reading the posts from 2007 where people just said they did or didn't like him. Fast forward to now and it's boys club Bogan morons etc. Just relax 2018.

I love JB, especially with BT. MMM commentary is the best for mine, or was until they lost chief and gaz and got rid of the worst on votes.

just watched the replay.
he did a good job. So did BT. needs to drop the elongated Orazio and just go with Razzle.

Are you kidding? BT was absolutely ******* woeful. The terrible histrionics aside, he constantly got players wrong - four to five times per quarter. He single handedly ruined the highlight reel of McKernan’s hanger by screaming “SSTTRRIINNGGGGEEERRR!!”

Late in the game he’s screaming again how North just need one goal to get within two kicks. We were 20 points up at time.

JB was better - and is generally good - but even he got a stack of Essendon players wrong. At one stage he got one wrong, and corrected himself by getting it wrong again!

The standard of commentary is at an all-time low. It’s absolutely pitiful. It was noticeable that for probably the 10 errors he made, Brayshaw didn’t get one North player wrong. That’s fine, he obviously knows them all well. But * me, you’re professional commentators. You should know all players well and be preparing accordingly. Have some pride in your work ffs. It’s clear as day they don’t prepare like they should by watching tapes and studying squads etc.

Great callers of yesteryear and other sports would be ******* mortified if they had a day where they made half the errors these *in clowns do.

It’s a disgrace. If we have these guys who want to host five TV shows and five radio shows a week plus do god knows what else then fine - but give us some normal professionals to fulfil the basic commentary role.

It was weird reading the posts from 2007 where people just said they did or didn't like him. Fast forward to now and it's boys club Bogan morons etc. Just relax 2018.

I love JB, especially with BT. MMM commentary is the best for mine, or was until they lost chief and gaz and got rid of the worst on votes.
MMM with BT, JB and Gaz Lyon was the best back in the day. I used to opt to listening to the game on the radio rather than watching the TV broadcast.

MMM with BT, JB and Gaz Lyon was the best back in the day. I used to opt to listening to the game on the radio rather than watching the TV broadcast.

Friday and Saturday rubs were genuinely funnier than comedy podcasts. I don't think you will ever hear that style of radio again. The fun police have made sure every radio station sounds the same.

Considering blocking every person in this thread.

Sure, he's a bit blokey, but I love it - it adds some colour and life to the commentary, especially during dull games.

No, just no. Listen to ABC, you'll be surprised to hear commentators who are actually interested in the game. Better yet, watch the World Cup. You hear that commentary doesn't have to be pissing contest, or 'high-octane', for the game to still be exciting. The game is exciting, that's the point - the comments are there to understand the excitement that's going on, not provide it.

BTW, there are 3 fricken breaks during an AFL game to discuss, analyse and sermonise - Why are we seeing heatmaps, wind-charts, boundary riders and even footage of the 4-person commentary teams while the game is on? Ridiculous.

Does anyone else think James Brayshaw is a good commentator?

I've only heard him call the game once, as I'm not a big fan of radio. I seemed to like his voice and style, despite some of the stupid cliches he kept repeating... and obvious stupidity.

IMO, he's a WAAAAY better commentator than Bruce McAvaney. Every time I listen to Bruce calling a match, I feel like he's letting the game down with his slow, analytical style. -Not to mention a wussy voice. I'm bored to tears. Even Eddie McGuire was a better commentator.

Am I alone on this one?
He is good. Even when calling north against the dogs he seemed so unbiased. Like Hudson is with Geelong.

Love him or hate him, Saturday night footy has become 1000 times more bearable with James Brayshaw replacing Basil.
Agreed i dont know how he gets a gig. Yeah jb gets annoying sometimes but then you hear baz i think jb is a genius. Huddo is the best caller at the moment for mine by a mile. Just knows how to set the scene and by far the best word smith. Only thing huddo lacks is his inability to introduce humour into his craft. Something commetti managed with subtly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back