Roast James Clement deserves more respect

They had planned to make him captain.

IIRC prior to the 2007 season Bucks suggested that he may stand down as captain and that Clement would make a great replacement. Eddie was furious and Bucks remained captain and the talk at the time was that in 2008 an offer was being made again to Jonathan Brown which would have included the captaincy.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s the top of the respect pile.

In my best Collingwood back 6 of the last 50 years.
That good!

Smokeyr67

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2002
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pies
Album_no_respect.jpg

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of our greatest, ever.
That’s such a fair call.
In that group of best defenders.
Certainly in last 50 years or so he’d make the team (I’d venture that.)
All time there’s a few might relegate him (players like Leach, Rumney makes it hard and even finding room for Fothergill might squeeze out a few but I digress.)

As an example:

Collingwood ~ The Best of 50 years

B. J Clement ~ G Pert ~ S Burns

HB. J Greening ~ W Picken ~ G Brown

C. W Richardson ~ N Buckley (c) ~ S Sidebottom

HF. P Carman ~ D Cloke ~ D Millane

F. P Moore ~ P McKenna ~ P Daicos

R. L Thompson ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I. B Grundy ~ D Tuddenham ~ B Price ~ A Shaw

C. L Matthews

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clement
it was considered possible that Clement would take over the captaincy of the Collingwood side from Nathan Buckley,[2] however he announced his surprise retirement at the end of the 2007 season.[3] Later it was revealed he retired to support his wife Jeanne, who has autoimmune kidney failure.[

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s such a fair call.
All time there’s a few might relegate him (players like Leach, Rumney makes it hard and even finding room for Fothergill might squeeze out a few but I digress.)

As an example:

C. L Matthews

May have gone a tad early on Grundy.

Also not sure David Cloke is in the discussion either. Played some great footy but wouldn't get a game as a KPF ahead of either of the Rocca's or his young bloke.

Not sure Sidey's ahead of others either.... yet.

But it's all pretty subjective.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
May have gone a tad early on Grundy.

Also not sure David Cloke is in the discussion either. Played some great footy but wouldn't get a game as a KPF ahead of either of the Rocca's or his young bloke.

Not sure Sidey's ahead of others either.... yet.

But it's all pretty subjective.
That is correct, very subjective.

For what it’s worth David Cloke carried our team very much, granted much more as a ruck.
To me far superior player to, Anthony Rocca or Sav for that matter, or Travis his son.
That’s overall my view. David was a champion the others weren’t quite that good.

Like all these things it’s a question of who gets left out etc and why one goes in over another.
My team tries to balance the whole thing as closely to best 22 with a little latitude taken with some positions.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

For what it’s worth David Cloke carried our team very much, granted much more as a ruck.
To me far superior player to, Anthony Rocca or Sav for that matter, or Travis his son.
That’s overall my view. David was a champion the others weren’t quite that good.

Like all these things it’s a question of who gets left out etc and why one goes in over another.
My team tries to balance the whole thing as closely to best 22 with a little latitude taken with some positions.

David Cloke's best footy at the Pies was played in the ruck over his first few years. Even then he wasn't getting many taps or possessions, he just threw his not inconsiderable weight around. Irrespective of that, he ain't getting a crack in the ruck ahead of Thompson or Moore (or even Grundy if it came down to it), just not in their league, so you've essentially named him as a KPF, and he's just not in the same discussion as Trav, Sav or Pebbles as a KPF. So we'll just need to agree (subjectivity aside) that your wrong and move on.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=396&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=177&fid1=C&fid2=C

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
David Cloke's best footy at the Pies was played in the ruck over his first few years. Even then he wasn't getting many taps or possessions, he just threw his not inconsiderable weight around. Irrespective of that, he ain't getting a crack in the ruck ahead of Thompson or Moore (or even Grundy if it came down to it), just not in their league, so you've essentially named him as a KPF, and he's just not in the same discussion as Trav, Sav or Pebbles as a KPF. So we'll just need to agree (subjectivity aside) that your wrong and move on.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=396&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=5&type=A&pid1=2219&pid2=177&fid1=C&fid2=C
We can agree to disagree or you can do a Black_White post and just day you’re right and that’s that.

Either or. ;)

For what it’s worth, Anthony and Sav were good players but not particularly extra special.
Good players who sometimes played very well. But that’s their level.
Travis better than those two but just couldn’t kick straight enough. For a while there Travis was as good a contested mark as anyone going around.

David was a far better player than all of them, certainly career wise.
For what it’s worth was also a terrific on field presence and leader.
As for picking between, Travis, Anthony, Sav or David to me it’s not even close, David a gun.
Should have won the Brownlow but broke his arm. Happens.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
We can agree to disagree or you can do a Black_White post and just day you’re right and that’s that.

Either or. ;)

For what it’s worth, Anthony and Sav were good players but not particularly extra special.
Travis better than those two but just couldn’t kick straight enough. For a while there Travis was as good a contested mark as anyone going around.

As for picking between, Travis, Anthony, Sav or David to me it’s not even close, David a gun.
What am I right about now?
Don’t even know the subject, but you’re spot on, I’m definitely right!

Jeez, I reckon you've gone way over the top on D. Cloke. Was recruited as a CHF. Was a major disappointment in that role. Played some very good footy as a follower, but was regularlysmashed in ruck duels.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Either or. ;)

I reckon Sav is sorely underrated. His goal kicking record was amazing.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
THe following article is mostly all about Longmuir's appointment as senior coach, but towards the end also has a bit about Freo's search for a new CEO -
... Fremantle's CEO search continues
... The Dockers are reportedly keen on former defender James Clement for the role.

Clement spent five seasons as a player at Fremantle and another seven at Collingwood, where he featured in two grand final losses and earned All-Australian honours before his retirement in 2007.

He has since enjoyed an active business career.

Clement is currently the CEO of fishing and seafood distribution company Mareterram, having enjoyed a near-decade long career at several financial services firms.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
THe following article is mostly all about Longmuir's appointment as senior coach, but towards the end also has a bit about Freo's search for a new CEO -
... Fremantle's CEO search continues
... The Dockers are reportedly keen on former defender James Clement for the role.

Clement spent five seasons as a player at Fremantle and another seven at Collingwood, where he featured in two grand final losses and earned All-Australian honours before his retirement in 2007.

He has since enjoyed an active business career.

Clement is currently the CEO of fishing and seafood distribution company Mareterram, having enjoyed a near-decade long career at several financial services firms.

I did some brief work with Clement a couple of years ago. An absolute gentleman. Very professional and level headed. Freo could do worse than recruit him.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don't care where you Put David Cloke but J Greening on a HBF is a bit of a stretch. Come to think of it I do care where you put Cloke. Drop him, move Carman to CHF, Greening to the HFF and find and find another half back. Ted Potter and ANdrew Ireland are names that spring to mind.
FWIW I'd have Greening ruck roving - one of our best 3 in the past 50 years

I don't care where you Put David Cloke but J Greening on a HBF is a bit of a stretch. Come to think of it I do care where you put Cloke. Drop him, move Carman to CHF, Greening to the HFF and find and find another half back. Ted Potter and ANdrew Ireland are names that spring to mind.
FWIW I'd have Greening ruck roving - one of our best 3 in the past 50 years
Or morwood to the back flank.
With Grundy Thompson and Moore l think saintly gone heavy with the rucks.

That’s such a fair call.

As an example:

C. L Matthews
To make that team work, greening to the wing, Steele to the forward pocket,
lose Cloke, Moore to chf, and bring in Morwood to the back flank.

Back