• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coin_Toss

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dad and I have been arguing lately about whether James Clement is a better footballer then Shane Morwood and vica versa. He thinks Shane Morwood is the better of the two, but I believe James Clement is the better footballer. But we both agree on one thing, and we think Clement & Morwood are/were very good players.

Who would you choose my fellow Collingwood supporters?

I loved Shane Morwood. One of my all time favorite players. Tons of class and played like he had all the time in the world. At the time he was the only genuine class act in a backline full of dirty mongrels. God I loved our backline!!!.

But James Clement is a better footballer due to his better marking, strength, kicking penetration, and leadership. Both rank equally for creativity.

They're similar, kinda, but Clement pretty much does everything as well or better.

Besides, Clement has captained the club, and has two Copelands. That puts him well ahead in my mind.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
They're similar, kinda, but Clement pretty much does everything as well or better.

Besides, Clement has captained the club, and has two Copelands. That puts him well ahead in my mind.

Except being able to kick a bag of goals.

goalpie said:
Except being able to kick a bag of goals.

You're confusing Shane Morwood with his brother Tony. Shane rarely kicked goals and rarely played forward, although like Clement, was quite capable of doing so if asked.

hotpie said:
You're confusing Shane Morwood with his brother Tony. Shane rarely kicked goals and rarely played forward, although like Clement, was quite capable of doing so if asked.

Nope. I remember several times at the end of his career.

Yeah well he kicked 6 one day in 93. I suppose thats a bag. Only kicked 1 more for the year though.

Even Brodie Holland's kicked a bag. Anybody can do it once or twice in a career. Even Clement if he ever gets the chance. In fact in 2-3 years after Buckley Burns and Rocca are gone he may "retire" to the forward line.

Clement played as a forward with Fremantle, and had several games where he kicked a bunch of goals.

I don't think that there's much doubt that he could, but considering that he's one of, if not the best defender in the league, then why would we ever move him forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clemo just. Quicker and slightly better in the air than Morph, but Morwood had absolutely outstanding skills, substantially better than Clement who is no slouch. In our great 1990 defense Morwood was the fullback of choice ahead of Kelly and Chrisso (who were CHB's really) Micky Gayfer and Ron McKeon, all fine defenders.

Both blokes were excellent versatile defenders and great team players.

All in all they are both good player but in the end of the day, Morwood played in a much tougher era of football and a much tougther Collingwood team. Not being nasty but team would scare the ******** out of our current team.

Not so clear cut in my opinion. Jimmy is good , real good but Shane Morwood was silk. His skills were second to none and that is no slight on Clements. Calm , cool under pressure but he was a bit shaky in his first few finals but matured nicely in the big games.He was our premier defender. A class act.

Fine comparison Coin Toss.

i'd love to see jimmy have some time of the forward flank this year, accurate long penetrating kick would do wonders for taz, rocca and fraser.

Jimmy's not there yet.

Shane ahead in skills and jimmy needs a few more years of solid and consistent quality footy to equal Shane.

Jimmy just hasn't got to the level or CREATIVE rebound Shane could generate.

Early days for Jimmy not at Shanes level yet.

Js No. 2 said:
Jimmy's not there yet.

Shane ahead in skills and jimmy needs a few more years of solid and consistent quality footy to equal Shane.

Jimmy just hasn't got to the level or CREATIVE rebound Shane could generate.

Early days for Jimmy not at Shanes level yet.
are you Coin_Toss's dad??

shane's grandma

I'll just need to move my zimmer frame away from the keyboard....whoops just knocked over my cup of tea with my false teeth soaking in it...... just love sugary dentures.......

Back