Delisted James Cousins [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Has essentially just been midfield depth at Hawthorn for a few years now, however his ball winning ability and spread from the contest is something Hawks fans in particular want to see as part of our best 22 every week.

Averaging 20 disposals and 4 tackles this season from his 4 games, hitting a career high against St.Kilda with 27.

I think he is of more value to the Hawks, but is there a club out there that needs a deeper midfield that may want to enquire about his services?

Frankston Dolphins if he can’t get a gig in the Hawks midfield.

He has been. Started the season behind Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel and Shiels which makes sense, but his output has been better than Worpel and he's arguably more damaging than Mitchell on current form.

I have to agree with his value but I really think he is a player who could develop quickly with a greater role.
Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels is decent enough to not break into on paper. Add Worpel. But obviously it's a terrible mix, but on individual parts/paper it's good enough.

I think in the right mix/role Cousins would flourish.

Honestly surprised he hasn't played more for us than he has. I think he's a really good mix of inside and outside and can hit the scoreboard. Wouldn't be worth much but I genuinely hope we re-sign him for another 2 years at least.

Shows glimpses but it’s never quite clicked consistently. Probably not dissimilar to Karl Amon at the same age.

He’s the type I wouldn’t be shocked to see became best 22 for someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows glimpses but it’s never quite clicked consistently. Probably not dissimilar to Karl Amon at the same age.

OMG i have found someone who likes Cousins, i must be dreaming..

That comparison is not great. Different players in different roles.

Cousins lacks composure and footskills.

There's a lot there, but his kicking was atrocious in the games I saw this year, which I hadn't noticed in past seasons.

I think he's a 27-28 disposal a game midfielder at AFL level at worst if he can find his way to a club that will back him in and give him the opportunity he needs to get the best out of himself. Never really seemed to get a good enough run through the midfield.

You can never put a line through someone like this after Keays. Cousins' numbers suggest he's at the absolute elite end for balling winning ability, he just needs the seas to part and get given the opportunity that Keays did.

There's a lot there, but his kicking was atrocious in the games I saw this year, which I hadn't noticed in past seasons.

I think he's a 27-28 disposal a game midfielder at AFL level at worst if he can find his way to a club that will back him in and give him the opportunity he needs to get the best out of himself. Never really seemed to get a good enough run through the midfield.

You can never put a line through someone like this after Keays. Cousins' numbers suggest he's at the absolute elite end for balling winning ability, he just needs the seas to part and get given the opportunity that Keays did.

Massive oversell. That would put him top 20 for disposals in the league.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he got another gig but he’s very limited.

Not much room in the AFL for one paced mids with below average foot skills and below average decision making.

He can find the footy and do some decent shut down jobs, so might be decent depth somewhere.

Oh yeah? Just like Keays who ranked 14th in the comp this year who was the example I gave of him being able to match the exploits of.

He averaged 21 disposals a game this year taking out the game he was an unused sub in from 37% of total CBAs for the year. I can't be bothered going all the way into it, but it is one of the absolute best ratios in the comp for a primary inside mid.

He has long been one of the sleeper ball magnets of the comp along with Fiorini and maybe a couple of others.

He just needs extended midfield opportunity and he will really take his game to another level. Remains to be seen if he ever gets it.

He's a nice smooth mover and obviously has a high footy IQ, just needs to tidy up his footskills and get a nice break somewhere somehow.

Yep he is a max 22-24 disposal a game player without any other standout qualities. Those type of players generally don't last long as they aren't good enough for a full time midfield gig

Feel as though he would be great depth for a team like West Coast or Richmond who will back themselves to rebound next season but probably need more help through the guts.

Has his deficiencies so would be wasted on a rebuilding side IMO.

But usually gets over 20 touches, can lay a tackle and often surprises with a great moment here or there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back