Delisted James Cousins [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel as though he would be great depth for a team like West Coast or Richmond who will back themselves to rebound next season but probably need more help through the guts.

Has his deficiencies so would be wasted on a rebuilding side IMO.

But usually gets over 20 touches, can lay a tackle and often surprises with a great moment here or there.
If Hawthorn don’t want him as depth, no one else will.

If Hawthorn don’t want him as depth, no one else will.

We are in the position where we will be trading in gun kids for the same position because of our rebuilding phase.

If Richmond (for example) had Cousins on their list he would have been their number 1 midfielder in round 23. They won't be expecting to bottom out next season so he would be more useful as depth to a team like them than us.

He's also free to any club that wants him.

We are in the position where we will be trading in gun kids for the same position because of our rebuilding phase.

If Richmond (for example) had Cousins on their list he would have been their number 1 midfielder in round 23. They won't be expecting to bottom out next season so he would be more useful as depth to a team like them than us.

There will be much better depth available than Cousins.

Id be surprised if someone a lower team drops gets picked up. But we did get Hartigan and he ended up pretty good.

He’s going to rip apart state leagues assuming no one grabs him.

You’d think clubs would priorities signing Dunstan who is better on the inside if you’re looking for a mature bodied midfielder. Cousins probably has more scope to play on a flank though.

These accumulator types are really eye of the beholder though. How much worse is Dunstan and Cousins then your Dumont, Redden, M.Kennedy types?

Last edited:
Constable likely being traded.

Narkle their ultimate fringe man likely being traded also.

Higgins should be delisted if Geelong are serious about their future.

Cousins would offer some reliable depth at the Kadinia Park.

He'd have to go there knowing he'd be in the same boat as Constable and as he was in Hawthorn. Depth.

I'd think the Pies or Blues would suit him and give him an opportunity to play.

He'd have to go there knowing he'd be in the same boat as Constable and as he was in Hawthorn. Depth.

I'd think the Pies or Blues would suit him and give him an opportunity to play.

I feel as though he should have had that chance at Hawthorn this year but didn't get a full season.

Would probably be even more lost in the shuffle at Collingwood, North or Carlton for example.

Perhaps the Blues could use him if they miss out on Cerra and decide not to chase Tom Mitchell. He isn't as good as those guys obviously, but he'd offer enough to help compliment Walsh and Cripps if called upon.

Id be surprised if someone a lower team drops gets picked up. But we did get Hartigan and he ended up pretty good.
Not always the way though, Jarryd Lyons, Trent McKenzie from the Suns have gone above and beyond, but even depth players like Daw, Wood from North 2020, Hartley etc are probably in the Cousins tier.

I feel as though he should have had that chance at Hawthorn this year but didn't get a full season.

Would probably be even more lost in the shuffle at Collingwood, North or Carlton for example.

Perhaps the Blues could use him if they miss out on Cerra and decide not to chase Tom Mitchell. He isn't as good as those guys obviously, but he'd offer enough to help compliment Walsh and Cripps if called upon.

I think his issue at Hawthorn is the same at North - lots of similar players ahead.

I think he adds a nice PoD to De Goey, Adams, Crisp, Daicos x2, Brown at Collingwood once Pendlebury/Sidebottom go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you guys actually watched him play? He lacks composure, panics with ball in hand, coughs it up.

Sure, he can get it, but he hands it back.

Hawthorn had arguably the worst performed midfield in the comp, and very little midfield depth, and we still cut him.

Have you guys actually watched him play? He lacks composure, panics with ball in hand, coughs it up.

Sure, he can get it, but he hands it back.

Hawthorn had arguably the worst performed midfield in the comp, and very little midfield depth, and we still cut him.

You're definitely his biggest critic and i've noticed that throughout the entire season. I won't argue that his delisting is reasonable for where we are at as a club, but Cuz is still good enough to be in the system and could still add something to another list in need of a general mid accumulator as depth. We just don't need that type right now which is why he's gone.

The one on the right is James Cousins. The one on the left is a fringe Cat who apparently has multiple clubs after his services. They're the same age and have played almost the same amount of games.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 12.32.15 pm.png

You're definitely his biggest critic and i've noticed that throughout the entire season. I won't argue that his delisting is reasonable for where we are at as a club, but Cuz is still good enough to be in the system and could still add something to another list in need of a general mid accumulator as depth. We just don't need that type right now which is why he's gone.

The one on the right is James Cousins. The one on the left is a fringe Cat who apparently has multiple clubs after his services. They're the same age and have played almost the same amount of games.

View attachment 1232588
Mate, forget about comparing two completely different players.

Cousins got cut from the worst midfield in the comp, and for good reason.

Mate, forget about comparing two completely different players.

Cousins got cut from the worst midfield in the comp, and for good reason.

Fringe midfielders of the same age, same experience at senior level and similar deficiencies? Of course they can be compared. It's redundant of course, but it can be done.

You're not a Cousins fan at all and that's fine. But clearly some are. And don't be surprised if he's at least offered a rookie contract somewhere because he's too good to be a state league player for the rest of his footy career. However if that does indeed happen then it will be happy days for whichever VFL team he ends up playing for.

He is a bit of an enigma James Cousins.

Wins alot of footy, can breakaway from contests with speed and a clean first touch. But too often turns it over with a lack of polish.

What is somewhat surprising is I've seen him lower the eyes and hits bullet passes he just never seems to be able to consistently put all of his good traits out there at the same time.

Last year i thought he could become a HF/Mid with a few classy goals and some good Score Involvement numbers in the back half of the year but that same form wasn't in 2021.
Probably best for everyone that we cut him now and give him every opportunity to find a new home.

Fringe midfielders of the same age, same experience at senior level and similar deficiencies? Of course they can be compared. It's redundant of course, but it can be done.

You're not a Cousins fan at all and that's fine. But clearly some are. And don't be surprised if he's at least offered a rookie contract somewhere because he's too good to be a state league player for the rest of his footy career. However if that does indeed happen then it will be happy days for whichever VFL team he ends up playing for.
I will be pretty amazed if anyone takes him on.

View attachment 1232588
Wasn't Narkle the sub heaps this season? That would hurt his stats.

Looks a neat footballer to me! Wouldn't help a Port, Cats, Bombers, St Kilda type of list? I think he adds value to midfield rotation!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not really, definitely not Port.

I think with Cousins it is a case of someone else's fringe player always looking better than the whipping boys at the club you watch ever week.

I don't think he would be in the top 26 players of any strong lists and i don't see a reason for a rebuilding team to take him on as he is very limited.

Not sure why the title not offered a contract when he was listed as delisted by the AFL site. It's a bit confusing.
You’re not delisted until the paperwork to delist is done and the list lodgement is completed after trade period.

Until then you can be traded - afterwards, become a delisted free agent.

So not eligible for free agency during the first FA period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back