Society/Culture James Faulkner Insta-outrage: is it insensitive to confirm that you are not gay if people are under the misconception that you are?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...p/news-story/df2efb37fd0270a3a13566505c4499a0

James Faulkner explains ‘misunderstanding’ over Instagram post

Aussie cricket star James Faulkner has clarified his Instagram post after facing a fierce backlash for referring to his “boyfriend”

Aussie cricket star James Faulkner has clarified a post he made on social media that was misinterpreted and then slammed for its insensitivity.

The 29-year-old posted a picture on Instagram of his birthday dinner with his mother and a man he said was his “boyfriend”. Faulkner also suggested in the caption they had been together for five years and posted on Twitter about it.

Faulkner later clarified his post with another message on Instagram, saying there had been a “misunderstanding” and he was “not gay” and Rob Jubb was “just a great friend”.

Cricket Australia also issued a statement apologising if anyone was offended.

“Cricket Australia does not consider the social commentary this morning from James Faulkner to be a joke, nor does James,” a CA spokesperson said.

“His comment was made as a genuine reflection of his relationship with his business partner, best friend and house mate of five years.

“James and CA are supportive of the LGBQTI community and recognises coming out can be an incredibly emotional time. The post was not in any way meant to make light of this and, though the support from the community was overwhelming and positive. Cricket Australia apologises for any unintended offence.”

Is James being insensitive by posting this reference to his mate and/or is he being insensitive by having to even clarify that he isn't a homosexual?

Which action is more offensive?

My wife of 34 years and I separated in late 2017, I was talking to her a while later and asked her how did her family react to the split and she was telling me that her sister told her that I was probably gay.

I said to her to tell her sister that if that was meant as an insult it was extremely homophobic. Gay jokes are by inference and intent derogatory as it implies there is something wrong with being gay.

Faulkner the spud got bullied into clarifying what he meant, then got bullied further. Typical LGBTQ behaviour.
He didn't get bullied into clarifying, he clarified because he wanted to let people he know he wasn't gay. Then he was being ridiculed for posting something as a joke. I understand he's not denigrating gays but he wasn't exactly helping the cause by calling it a joke. Sensitive? Sure... but it's not hard to not be stupid.

a6945c1b04deb311876b051d79628de5.jpg

Since KV hasn't shown up to post this, I'll go ahead and question which outrage is greater: the original outrage over allegedly insensitive behaviour, or the resulting outrage by people who are outraged over the original outrage. Or something like that.

#ChocolateDucks

Since KV hasn't shown up to post this, I'll go ahead and question which outrage is greater: the original outrage over allegedly insensitive behaviour, or the resulting outrage by people who are outraged over the original outrage. Or something like that.

#ChocolateDucks
If KV was here he'd answer that with another question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing said when females refer to thier female friends as girlfriends, but when a guy calls a male friend boyfriend

Different story, quite Sexist actually.

#ChocolateDucks
I think it's the subsequent outrage, KV's outrage over tangential outrage to the outrage:

You’re taking the piss?

#ChocolateDucks

This white male grievance politics is persistent

It’s also the mirror of the politics it rails against.

And so the outrage becomes a triple layered affair. A trifle of outrage, if you will.

Trifles are sweet.

Here’s this issue. Faulkner made his post. Some thought he didn’t treat the coming out issue as seriously as it needed. I laughed. But I never had to come out.

So some people on twitter said his post was a bit stupid.

So? That’s it? They’re allowed, it wasn’t over the top and he didn’t care.

If PC is about chilling speech, could it be argued the anti PC stuff is about deterring speech? I don’t think that but it’s the anti PC logic.

IMO the whole episode has been worth it for the 3rd umpire and reverse swing jokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back