List Mgmt. James Frawley, a replacement for Glass?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
A conversation in another thread got me thinking about who would take the role/spot left by our glorious leader when he retires.

After working through our current list, I just don't think we have anybody truly suitable.
Currently Glass's true strength lies in his ability to read the play, marshalling the troops and still a damn good 1v1 defender.

He is more than our 2/3rd defender, he is the wall before the wall.
Without someone to really step into the void, it would destabilise the whole backline.

Of the players left on our current list, I just don't see anyone with a combination of the skills previously mentioned or even the potential to fully develop all three.

We should go after Frawley, really hard.
Throw a fair wad of cash his way, sell the lifestyle, sell the club success.
He'll be an unrestricted free agent and we must me pro-active and very aggressive.

Apart from getting our hands on a TRUE A grade midfielder, this has to be our highest priority.

A top line defensive unit is integral to winning big games.

Would be nice to have James Frawley on board , sounds like Hawthorn are all over him with spare money now that Buddy is at Sydney and Fremantle too and seem to be cashed up .

If he's a UFA then it's certainly worth a crack, especially if Glass does retire and we have salary space to use.
Personally I'm reasonably confident in Brown and Schofield being able to compliment EMac, so if we didn't get Frawley or someone similar I'd still be content with the state of the backline. With that being said, neither of them are sure things, competition is always healthy and we're going to have suspect depth if we don't add a KPD soon (depending on how McGovern develops), so I say go for it.
Great if we could pull it off, but not the end of the world if we don't.

Probably overkill given Glass looks to be relegated to the third tall in 2014. Which is why i think Brown is playing ahead of Schofield.

We added two tall defenders in the last draft and moved McGovern into defense. It's highly doubtful we'd pursue Frawley unless Simpson is unhappy with all the options presented to him. Not to mention our number one draft pick could well be locked away before trade period.

I think with Schofield, McGovern and Barrass in the squad, our money would be better spent elsewhere.

Save the cash to retain our current stars and look to lure a star mid home.
I hear what you're saying but Schofield is more a tall winger than a genuine defender (for mine), Barrass is a complete unknown and McGovern has a long way to go. Besides he has great hands, I'd like him utilised up forward if possible.

Do any of the mentioned players have that innate ability to read the game like Glass does?

I don't see why we can't both lure home someone like Bennell and bring Frawley in.

I hear what you're saying but Schofield is more a tall winger than a genuine defender (for mine), Barrass is a complete unknown and McGovern has a long way to go. Besides he has great hands, I'd like him utilised up forward if possible.

Do any of the mentioned players have that innate ability to read the game like Glass does?

I don't see why we can't both lure home someone like Bennell and bring Frawley in.

We've got Mackenzie and Brown to play the two key roles. The others can play third tall or be back up.

There is only a certain amount of cash in the cap, I don't think we'd have enough to get Frawley and a gun mid. I'd support doing that if we could, but if we can't afford both I'd prefer to spend the cash on improving our midfield.

We've got Mackenzie and Brown to play the two key roles. The others can play third tall or be back up.

There is only a certain amount of cash in the cap, I don't think we'd have enough to get Frawley and a gun mid. I'd support doing that if we could, but if we can't afford both I'd prefer to spend the cash on improving our midfield.
I'd agree but it really has to be the right midfielder to tip the scales IMO.
Glass is way more than just a 3rd defensive tall.

Probably overkill given Glass looks to be relegated to the third tall in 2014. Which is why i think Brown is playing ahead of Schofield.

We added two tall defenders in the last draft and moved McGovern into defense. It's highly doubtful we'd pursue Frawley unless Simpson is unhappy with all the options presented to him. Not to mention our number one draft pick could well be locked away before trade period.
Absolutely but, but as Bruce would say the option of Frawley in addition to the above is delicious.

Much better off targeting a gun mid. McKenszie and Brown along with Schofield are fine.

For some reason our supporters have always been very pessimistic about our key backs, we are well stocked compared to most sides even when we lose Glass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling Frawley is going to be the Franklin of the 2014 season with the whole "will he stay, won't he stay" question mark over his head.

If he decides he wants out than I'm very keen to chase him as a UFA but there will be other clubs chasing his signature not like Xavier Ellis for example who the real main suitors were us and Freo by the sounds of things.

Hawthorn have already expressed interest and any other team low in KPD stocks would ask the question. Melbourne may have some cash spare on Mitchell Clark's contract (question mark over him) to keep him yet

Well according to everyone on here Brown is suddenly a BEAST and will be our full back for the next 20 years

No exaggeration

Brown plays similar to the way he always has. Ive always liked his play and was perplexed at the level of hate drawn on him. Somehow, the public perception changed this year. I am all for it!

Brown plays similar to the way he always has. Ive always liked his play and was perplexed at the level of hate drawn on him. Somehow, the public perception changed this year. I am all for it!
Agreed.
Most people groan at the occasional fumble or panicked kick but fail to mention that he rarely lets his opponent take a mark or kick a goal.

Like the idea, but we have an enviable long-term FB/CHB partnering in Emac and Brown, with Schofield as a capable third tall. Not to mention the possibility of one of McGovern, McIness, Powell or Barrass developing into a sold tall defender. And all of Hurn, Waters and Yeo are capable of playing taller than their respective heights.

As many here have suggested, the midfield should be our priority.

Not 100% sold on Brown and Schofield but I'm sure one of them will be at least serviceable, should just be throwing all available funds on a great midfielder.

That being said, it would definitely be nice to have a Frawley/Emac combo for the years to come and possibly make getting a midfielder easier by trading either Brown or Schofield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back