Free Agency James Frawley [joins St Kilda as a delisted free agent]

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
Bigfooty t/as Aust Antifa - Endorsed by chief
AFL Club
Melbourne
It wasn't his idea to retire. Hawthorn pushed him out the door. Chip said he had thought he was still going OK and had another year or two in him.

Which is also what most in the thread about his retirement on the Hawthorn board here said about him as well.

Nah, i don't think so, he's comments were definitely not from someone who didn't want to stop playing and was dumped by his club.

Hawthorn premiership player James Frawley retires from the AFL | 7NEWS.com.au

Good on him on getting a bonus superannuation contract

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah, i don't think so, he's comments were definitely not from someone who didn't want to stop playing and was dumped by his club.

Wtf, there's not a single comment at all in that article that indicates he didn't want to stop playing and was pushed out the door!?

Whereas he has stated explicitly in recent articles that he believed he had a year or two of footy left in him when Hawthorn came to him. Hence being willing to move to another club and saying that he's even open to playing beyond next season.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Let the bitterness flow champ.

images.jpg

download-4.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He will not be on a huge contract and so it is hardly a "superannuation" contract.

But he has made his grandmother extremely happy. The Frawley Clan has deep connections with St Kilda. Plus was it his dad who said that he can resume barracking for the Saint's again now that his son is at the Saints?

Also given Roughead's involvement in gaining Frawley one suspects that some non-playing duties will be part of the appeal.

Yep. Reduced soft cap will see a lot of older players given playing contracts where they may play half the games but will also be part time assistant coaches.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
Bigfooty t/as Aust Antifa - Endorsed by chief
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wtf, there's not a single comment at all in that article that indicates he didn't want to stop playing and was pushed out the door!?

Whereas he has stated explicitly in recent articles that he believed he had a year or two of footy left in him when Hawthorn came to him. Hence being willing to move to another club and saying that he's even open to playing beyond next season.

It's irrelevant really, he's getting an extra superannuation payment, good for him

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
umm I'm saying he's done well by getting an extra contract for doing next to nothing, not sure why you're having a sook
How is he doing "next to nothing"?

Maybe you'd like to do an AFL preseason and see if you think that alone is "next to nothing".

After that he'll be playing most if not every week he's available, either at AFL or VFL level. As well as teaching/mentoring our very inexperienced backline.

And he'll be getting paid accordingly (ie. he's going to be on low coin).

You're carrying on like he's coming to play VFL on $500K PA or something. Or a Tom McDonald like $700K.

He ain't.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee this thread is a bit ugly isn't it?

I think what is meant by the Melbourne supporter (but phrased poorly) is that Frawley was set to retire so it is a no-brainer for him to accept a contract at StKilda as otherwise he was going to be paid nothing by the AFL. He gets to extend his career and earn more $$ from it (that he otherwise was not going to get).

StKilda get some mature key position depth that helps if their existing KPD's go down with injury (as Carlisle in particular seems prone to do).

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gee this thread is a bit ugly isn't it?

I think what is meant by the Melbourne supporter (but phrased poorly) is that Frawley was set to retire so it is a no-brainer for him to accept a contract at StKilda as otherwise he was going to be paid nothing by the AFL. He gets to extend his career and earn more $$ from it (that he otherwise was not going to get).

StKilda get some mature key position depth that helps if their existing KPD's go down with injury (as Carlisle in particular seems prone to do).

No the guy is fishing. Either that or he is really bitter towards Frawley for some reason.

PS. Well whether he retired or Frawley knew the Hawks were just not going to offer him a contact for next year is moot. However everyone else agrees in essence with what you believe to be why Frawley is joining to St Kilda. No club, and especially with the reduced salary cap and list sizes, is going to hand over money for a player from another club to just swan about the club for a year or two. He is not just joining to be Roughead's new drinking buddy.

Last edited:
Back