List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Very strange that we’ve made a decision and we haven’t even heard any whispers.

No doubt you hear a lot of crap on bigfooty but it’s usually a great spot to hear a bit of info before others. Things have been very quiet on that front of late though.

Hav

Have lots of contacts and a big network, JB, but I'm off on a new path. Anti ageing and working with older folk, because we'll all be there one day. I had my go at recruiting and it was fascinating. Footy is like combat without the bullets. The best place to research what people are like. Now I'm into ageing, and how we can slow and stop it. It's a new frontier and I must say it's exciting.

I'm in my 50's and I'm starting to feel the pinch of ageing, but there is a way out. I'm working on exploiting the wisdom and experience that age brings, as well as turning back the clock, physically. I'm probably fifty years too early, but I have a number of subjects who are around a hundred years old who give me hope. The footy side of things was always just a glimpse into what makes individuals special. Physically, psychologically and socially.

We do have the capacity to live long lives, perhaps even being immortal. The science says we can. One of the most important things in longevity is social connection. Believe it or not, that is why things like Big Footy are important. They keep us involved which has a positive effect on our "feel good" hormones like serotonin, dopamine and our opiates. They literally keep us young. I'm writing a book called ," It's Good To Be Good" , which outlines the fact that our stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, damage our DNA and prematurely age us. Our good hormones, oxytocin, serotonin, dopamine etc. protect us from the ravages of ageing and prevent the diseases of ageing.

These are cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's etc. Ageing is the number one cause of death. No one has ever survived this chronic condition we all suffer from. My mission is to help find a cure for ageing. That, and a way to help St.Kilda win a premiership.

Mate, we might just need the answer if we are to live long enough to see us win our 2nd flag.... Will be great to see the Rob Harvey raise the cup and win the Norm Smith.

Very strange that we’ve made a decision and we haven’t even heard any whispers.

No doubt you hear a lot of crap on bigfooty but it’s usually a great spot to hear a bit of info before others. Things have been very quiet on that front of late though.
They have battened down the hatches.

If it's Cripps, I'm guessing our favour with the future second won't be returned.

Typical St Kilda, memo to recruiters two weeks ago: Cripps is still unsigned, make a huge offer to Crisps he is a gun. Nek minnit, oh hi Jase, wanna come home to the Saints.

Left field name would be Lenny. I think a few of us have heard of him.

If it's Cripps, I'm guessing our favour with the future second won't be returned.

Typical St Kilda, memo to recruiters two weeks ago: Cripps is still unsigned, make a huge offer to Crisps he is a gun. Nek minnit, oh hi Jase, wanna come home to the Saints.

Left field name would be Lenny. I think a few of us have heard of him.

Lenny as list manager? I think he likes coaching. I’ve heard it’s Jamie Cripps. They got the wrong one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Gerry gee classic, he looks like a few of our players.
28irrz5.jpg

Hav

Have lots of contacts and a big network, JB, but I'm off on a new path. Anti ageing and working with older folk, because we'll all be there one day. I had my go at recruiting and it was fascinating. Footy is like combat without the bullets. The best place to research what people are like. Now I'm into ageing, and how we can slow and stop it. It's a new frontier and I must say it's exciting.

I'm in my 50's and I'm starting to feel the pinch of ageing, but there is a way out. I'm working on exploiting the wisdom and experience that age brings, as well as turning back the clock, physically. I'm probably fifty years too early, but I have a number of subjects who are around a hundred years old who give me hope. The footy side of things was always just a glimpse into what makes individuals special. Physically, psychologically and socially.

We do have the capacity to live long lives, perhaps even being immortal. The science says we can. One of the most important things in longevity is social connection. Believe it or not, that is why things like Big Footy are important. They keep us involved which has a positive effect on our "feel good" hormones like serotonin, dopamine and our opiates. They literally keep us young. I'm writing a book called ," It's Good To Be Good" , which outlines the fact that our stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, damage our DNA and prematurely age us. Our good hormones, oxytocin, serotonin, dopamine etc. protect us from the ravages of ageing and prevent the diseases of ageing.

These are cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's etc. Ageing is the number one cause of death. No one has ever survived this chronic condition we all suffer from. My mission is to help find a cure for ageing. That, and a way to help St.Kilda win a premiership.

Apparently fasting increases your lifespan.
As a St.Kilda supporter I have been so starved of success I should theoretically live until I am at least 280 years old ;)

If the appointment has already been made what's the point of holding back on the announcement.
Why not release a bit of positive news in an otherwise pretty tough year.

FWIW, I can feel a wave of ex Saints coming

I'm guessing its because the pending appointment has agreed in principle, is currently at another Club and has therefore yet to sign on the dotted line.

one of the interesting things with the appointment, is that we probably are doing it as late as you can possibly do it on two fronts:
1) you dont want to go a whole year with one list manager, then right before the trade period starts and the draft finalization takes place, you bring in a new one with a completely different take on everything. so you need time for them to get established to hit the ground running when that time comes,
2) other clubs rightfully will be pissed if you poach the guy just before the trade and draft finalisation, out goes all their IP, its too late for them to bring in someone else. its the type of situation where you try to legally bind them to your club until after the draft.

the other thing that might be positive, is we will get a completely different view into the club based on what they know at their current club. pretty ******* handy to have in one of the best drafts to occur in sometime. they've also seen the entirety of the champs and half a season plus of footy.

that is of course if he's coming from another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

one of the interesting things with the appointment, is that we probably are doing it as late as you can possibly do it on two fronts:
1) you dont want to go a whole year with one list manager, then right before the trade period starts and the draft finalization takes place, you bring in a new one with a completely different take on everything. so you need time for them to get established to hit the ground running when that time comes,
2) other clubs rightfully will be pissed if you poach the guy just before the trade and draft finalisation, out goes all their IP, its too late for them to bring in someone else. its the type of situation where you try to legally bind them to your club until after the draft.

the other thing that might be positive, is we will get a completely different view into the club based on what they know at their current club. pretty ******* handy to have in one of the best drafts to occur in sometime. they've also seen the entirety of the champs and half a season plus of footy.

that is of course if he's coming from another club.
Jay Clarke article in the sun StC.

Would love to know what you feel about it.

Tried to post a link in the Eye on our Coaching thread but went to paywall

My take

1. We will get a older experienced mid

2. Mitchell likely, Lenny possible

3. Looking to trade top pick depending on what happens

4. Huge swipe at the coaching not directed soley at the assistants (Reckon Richo on notice)

I know I am the ultimate optimist, but seems Lethlean will be ruthless and that fills me with hope for 2019.

My take.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here it is

ST KILDA will overhaul its coaching structure and take an aggressive approach to its trade and draft strategies to help jump back into the finals mix next year.

And new football boss Simon Lethlean indicated the club would target some ready-made players with senior experience who could impact the team’s leadership and training standards in the pre-season.
AFL DAILY: BULLDOGS IN HOSPITAL AFTER CAR CRASH
BAD IDEA: AFL BACKPEDALS ON RULES TRIAL
The Saints currently have pick 4 in this year’s draft period but Lethlean said the club could swap it for multiple picks in the likely event the AFL will allow clubs to trade draft picks right up until the night of the national draft.
Lethlean confirmed there would be change in the coaching ranks following a report former Hawthorn champion and West Coast assistant coach Sam Mitchell would return to Melbourne to further his coaching career next season.
GWS assistant Lenny Hayes, who played 297 games for the Saints, will also be target for Alan Richardson’s men.
Lethlean said the Saints would adopt a different coaching model next year, admitting Richmond “gave us a bit of a lesson about what a team really looks like” last weekend.
“There will be some changes in our coaching side of the program as well,” Lethlean said.
“How many and who any of the appointees may be is unknown at the moment. It’s July so we have to test the market and see who is available and see who is interested and also understand what structure is best for us.
“I have a view on how our coaching structure should be and it’s a bit different to now, so that will mean change.”
Alan Richardson will have some new assistants next season. Picture: Michael Klein
The new footy boss said the Saints could have tried some different tactics against Richmond last weekend to limit the damage in the 54-point loss.
“We actually couldn’t necessary handle that level of intensity and teamwork and impact, and it shows you where you are at,” Lethlean said on a club podcast.
“So it was interesting to find out where we are at against the best club.

“I reckon there was stuff we could have done to have stemmed where the result ended up a bit quicker and better and we let ourselves down a bit there.
“We know we have got some work to do, and we know there is a club which does things pretty well and that gave us a bit of a lesson about what a team really looks like.”
St Kilda wants to appoint a new list manager next week.
Lethlean said the club had already held talks with potential recruits.
“We’ll target players to make our list better right form the word go in preseason by way of training standards, impact and leadership,” he said.
St Kilda is in the hunt for West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff. Picture: Michael Klein
“So we are certainly very active in the free agency, out of contract and trade market as would 17 other good clubs.
“And we have had a number of encouraging conversations with players and player managers and lots of those don’t bear fruit for little while.
“But we are active and hopefully it bears some fruit.”
Lethlean said the team’s performance would likely mean the Saints would receive a reduced number of Friday night games next season after four this year.
MORE

Jay Clarke article in the sun StC.

Would love to know what you feel about it.

Tried to post a link in the Eye on our Coaching thread but went to paywall

My take

1. We will get a older experienced mid

2. Mitchell likely, Lenny possible

3. Looking to trade top pick depending on what happens

4. Huge swipe at the coaching not directed soley at the assistants (Reckon Richo on notice)

I know I am the ultimate optimist, but seems Lethlean will be ruthless and that fills me with hope for 2019.

My take.

i concur mate

at the very minimum it feels like letha will hold those in the football club to a strong standard, can he rebuild it though, once he clears out the under performing dead wood, who knows? but we need the clean out first.

its damning this is happening 7 years in. feels like we've had yes men in management positions there for far too long

Here it is

ST KILDA will overhaul its coaching structure and take an aggressive approach to its trade and draft strategies to help jump back into the finals mix next year.

And new football boss Simon Lethlean indicated the club would target some ready-made players with senior experience who could impact the team’s leadership and training standards in the pre-season.
AFL DAILY: BULLDOGS IN HOSPITAL AFTER CAR CRASH
BAD IDEA: AFL BACKPEDALS ON RULES TRIAL
The Saints currently have pick 4 in this year’s draft period but Lethlean said the club could swap it for multiple picks in the likely event the AFL will allow clubs to trade draft picks right up until the night of the national draft.
Lethlean confirmed there would be change in the coaching ranks following a report former Hawthorn champion and West Coast assistant coach Sam Mitchell would return to Melbourne to further his coaching career next season.
GWS assistant Lenny Hayes, who played 297 games for the Saints, will also be target for Alan Richardson’s men.
Lethlean said the Saints would adopt a different coaching model next year, admitting Richmond “gave us a bit of a lesson about what a team really looks like” last weekend.
“There will be some changes in our coaching side of the program as well,” Lethlean said.
“How many and who any of the appointees may be is unknown at the moment. It’s July so we have to test the market and see who is available and see who is interested and also understand what structure is best for us.
“I have a view on how our coaching structure should be and it’s a bit different to now, so that will mean change.”
Alan Richardson will have some new assistants next season. Picture: Michael Klein
The new footy boss said the Saints could have tried some different tactics against Richmond last weekend to limit the damage in the 54-point loss.
“We actually couldn’t necessary handle that level of intensity and teamwork and impact, and it shows you where you are at,” Lethlean said on a club podcast.
“So it was interesting to find out where we are at against the best club.

“I reckon there was stuff we could have done to have stemmed where the result ended up a bit quicker and better and we let ourselves down a bit there.
“We know we have got some work to do, and we know there is a club which does things pretty well and that gave us a bit of a lesson about what a team really looks like.”
St Kilda wants to appoint a new list manager next week.
Lethlean said the club had already held talks with potential recruits.
“We’ll target players to make our list better right form the word go in preseason by way of training standards, impact and leadership,” he said.
St Kilda is in the hunt for West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff. Picture: Michael Klein
“So we are certainly very active in the free agency, out of contract and trade market as would 17 other good clubs.
“And we have had a number of encouraging conversations with players and player managers and lots of those don’t bear fruit for little while.
“But we are active and hopefully it bears some fruit.”
Lethlean said the team’s performance would likely mean the Saints would receive a reduced number of Friday night games next season after four this year.
MORE

A few solid whacks in there. Liked this one:

Like it. Very nice. Hope Lethlean goes mental.

i concur mate

at the very minimum it feels like letha will hold those in the football club to a strong standard, can he rebuild it though, once he clears out the under performing dead wood, who knows? but we need the clean out first.

its damning this is happening 7 years in. feels like we've had yes men in management positions there for far too long
Well, I really might be reading too much into it, but to me the shade thrown on the coaching on the weekend was directed at ALL of them.

Basically, Richo, don't get comfortable, we are giving you the tools with assistants, experienced players and top end talent.
Finals in 2019 or we have a new senior coach this time next year.

I reckon it couldn't be clearer. And I welcome it.

If we get what Lethlean wants, there are no more excuses. I have cut Richo a tonne of slack. No more if we get the resources and we fail again.

Adrian Dodoro now that would be a turn up.

Guess he’d be taking the “if you cant beat ‘em, join ‘em ” approach :)

Edit: Although he probably still believes he got pick 5 for Carlisle.

Last edited:
Hav

Makes sense that a Saints supporter would be working on immortality. It's the only way we can guarantee we'll see a flag one day.

Well, I really might be reading too much into it, but to me the shade thrown on the coaching on the weekend was directed at ALL of them.

Basically, Richo, don't get comfortable, we are giving you the tools with assistants, experienced players and top end talent.
Finals in 2019 or we have a new senior coach this time next year.

I reckon it couldn't be clearer. And I welcome it.

If we get what Lethlean wants, there are no more excuses. I have cut Richo a tonne of slack. No more if we get the resources and we fail again.

Thought the same. But good to have it known that if results dont turn with the clean out that Richo is gone.
So I would suggest with the names thrown out that it would be highly possible that Mitchell and Lenny could be added. If that is the case would the rumour about Harvey still be true?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back