List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You are completely oblivious to lack of quality that has been gained. Gresham has been our only real "outperform" relative to where he was taken.

As an aggregate we lack stars and have picked up less quality players than any other club.

Way, way back we gained Steven. Then huge gap to Gresham. Having a teamful of ok players takes you nowhere. You also need the cream.

You also need to remember that we let go players in order to gain more picks. Despite this our list has gone backwards.

Now last year is looking promising, but there are mainly years of average to shocking.

PS: I do agree though that we are not developing what we had as well as we need to, and other clubs do.
You can say before this year, we were developing players quite well, especially those that came from other clubs, Bruce, Membrey, Roberton, Steele, Sinclair, Mav. Now this year, it’s been bad for the whole team. So it would have to be 3 things combined - recruitment, development, coaching

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is talk going around that the Hawks want to trade for him.
If Hawthorn can turn that spud into a player then I'll start thinking it's more development and a little less about our drafting. We will probably give him another contract , then we will regret doing so , just like the Richo's situation. I hope the rumour you speak of is spot on.

If Hawthorn can turn that spud into a player then I'll start thinking it's more development and a little less about our drafting. We will probably give him another contract , then we will regret doing so , just like the Richo's situation. I hope the rumour you speak of is spot on.
If Sydney can get aliir aliir to hold down a position in an AFL club then anything is possible. Draft is just a number.

There is talk going around that the Hawks want to trade for him.
Yeah I've heard whispers of Goddard and Hawthorn down here in his home town.

Even whispers of him being delisted.

He may seem superfluous to our needs, but is he really? Especially now we can come to our senses re McGovern joining our backline.

Of our tallish defenders:

Carlisle - great but not a lockdown player.

Brown - going around again next year but now in his 30s and the end is nigh.

Gilbert - basically finished.

Roberton - unfortunately may never play again.

Austin - promising but played less than 20 games and only a handful that any of us have witnessed.

Joyce - Irish experiment who is far too early to call.

Clavarino - long term prospect in the Jake Lever mould. Could be anything; could be nothing.

And then there's Goddard. Very promising early but beset by injuries. Criticised for a lack of pace and agility. But after some setbacks now said to be improving.

We don't need to cut Hugh. There's plenty of competition for the axe.

Pick 21, 21 years of age, 196cm.

Seriously, if the Saints let him leave for nothing or very little I'll spew.

And if they let Hawthorn get their hands on him for sweet FA, and the Hawks turn him into the senior player he should be, my spewing may well become terminal

Considering our lowly draft position netted no stars and even the compo for those stars which was supposed to turbo boost the rebuild failed to get better players....you'd say we'd have been better of. I think FA has made it really hard to rebuild after a bottom out and we decided to do it in the compromised draft era on top of that. It's like planting a million lettuce seedlings in the desert with
Agree 100% there gringo...……..at the time I thought it was the way to go but as of right now.....you'd have to say it just didn't work out the way it was planned to.

The landscape has changed since 2013.

It does grate me that B.Goddard and bigboy are still playing for their respective clubs.

Yeah I've heard whispers of Goddard and Hawthorn down here in his home town.

Even whispers of him being delisted.

He may seem superfluous to our needs, but is he really? Especially now we can come to our senses re McGovern joining our backline.

Of our tallish defenders:

Carlisle - great but not a lockdown player.

Brown - going around again next year but now in his 30s and the end is nigh.

Gilbert - basically finished.

Roberton - unfortunately may never play again.

Austin - promising but played less than 20 games and only a handful that any of us have witnessed.

Joyce - Irish experiment who is far too early to call.

Clavarino - long term prospect in the Jake Lever mould. Could be anything; could be nothing.

And then there's Goddard. Very promising early but beset by injuries. Criticised for a lack of pace and agility. But after some setbacks now said to be improving.

We don't need to cut Hugh. There's plenty of competition for the axe.

Pick 21, 21 years of age, 196cm.

Seriously, if the Saints let him leave for nothing or very little I'll spew.

And if they let Hawthorn get their hands on him for sweet FA, and the Hawks turn him into the senior player he should be, my spewing may well become terminal

Agreed 150000%
We need to keep Goddard at all costs, kid cant be demanding huge money you wouldn't think so sign him for another 2 years I reckon and see how this current VFL form takes off further

Way, way back we gained Steven. Then huge gap to Gresham. Having a teamful of ok players takes you nowhere. You also need the cream.

You also need to remember that we let go players in order to gain more picks. Despite this our list has gone backwards.
The trading out of players for picks really haunts me......as mentioned above,a good idea at the time has not worked.

It's absolutely gut wrenching.

When we drafted Gresh and he played his first year....2016....I wondered why he was the only player that we drafted and who had an immediate impact like so many do at the Swans...Hawks...Geel etc.

I remember thinking..."this is a novelty"

The trading out of players for picks really haunts me......as mentioned above,a good idea at the time has not worked.

It's absolutely gut wrenching.

When we drafted Gresh and he played his first year....2016....I wondered why he was the only player that we drafted and who had an immediate impact like so many do at the Swans...Hawks...Geel etc.

I remember thinking..."this is a novelty"
Had me like "did we just have a first year kid play good, is this st kilda"

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why did you delist Goddard and keep Brown?
Why did you delist Freeman and keep Armitage?

Looking forward to your reasoning behind these two decisions.

Regards City West.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda

Regards City West.
Er... Brown triggered a 2019 contract extension based on games played this year.
Armo contracted for 2019

Pretty obvious I would have thought

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Er... Brown triggered a 2019 contract extension based on games played this year.
Armo contracted for 2019

Pretty obvious I would have thought
I agree, you are correct. But where is the common sense? Pay both Brown and Armitage out and delist them and then keep both Freeman and Goddard. Why the * would you spend all this time to get their bodies right and then not give them a chance? Where is the logic in keeping 2 guys who are clearly past their best and have a maximum of 2 years left. Actually in Browns case he will be lucky to be best 22 next year and IMHO has no hope of being on our list for 2020. This is so St Kilda like it makes me sick. I am 55 years old and I have always believed that I would one day see a premiership and would bask in the glory. I'm starting to doubt that now because of our short sightedness and the stupid decision making of the club.

Olliver

Senior List
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Regards City West.

I’d imagine he’d probably say Brown has played 37 games in the last two years to Goddard’s one. I’d have delisted Joyce before Goddard though.

I am 55 years old and I have always believed that I would one day see a premiership and would bask in the glory. I'm starting to doubt that now because of our short sightedness and the stupid decision making of the club.
Yeah Yeah; join the club...

rw730k.jpg

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Regards City West.
Probably because they have played 3 games between them in around 3 years. Something tells me they aren’t the answer

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Regards City West.
Are these really the burning questions you’d have for Gags? Lol

Armitage was contracted.
Goddards injuries crippled his potential.
Freeman ditto.
Brown is still a great one on one defender and an experienced head and leader.

Back