Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Season Reviews for the Acceleration Group (U16s to U18s from memory):

Mason Fletcher
Father - Dustin Fletcher
The eldest son of club legend Dustin Fletcher, Mason made a successful return from the back injury that curtailed his 2018 season. He bounced back to play 14 games for the Calder Cannons this year, averaging 9.3 disposals and leading the team with an impressive haul of 16 goals. His form led to a selection in the AFL Victoria Young Guns Series, while he also had the chance to spend some time training with the senior squad at The Hangar to gain a greater insight into what it takes to be an AFL footballer.

Tom Hird
Father - James Hird
Tom Hird got the opportunity to train with Essendon’s senior team in January, where he showed his elite foot skills and endurance, looking at home at The Hangar. Tom has also been excelling at soccer, playing one game for Port Melbourne Sharks in the NPL VIC Men competition this year, along with 21 games and two goals for Port Melbourne’s under-20 team.

Kyle Baker
NGA
Another exciting young Bomber to get a good taste of senior football this year was Kyle Baker, who was named in the best players on three occasions from 11 games at the top level with Maribyrnong Park. He was also able to make his mark against his own age group with six games for the Cannons, averaging 10.5 disposals.

Lachlan Johnson
NGA
The need for a knee reconstruction sadly cut Lachlan Johnson’s season short, but not before the young gun impressed in five games with the Oakleigh Chargers alongside school football commitments with Scotch College. Lachlan averaged 15.2 disposals and 7.2 tackles for the Chargers in a strong display of his talent.

Jeffrey Simon
NGA
Jeffrey Simon became a regular feature of the Tiwi Bombers’ senior line-up in the 2018/19 season, taking the field 12 times and booting five goals. He has impressed against the big bodies again at the start of the 2019/20 season, kicking three goals from the opening four games in an exciting display of his talent.

Xavier Saly
NGA
A strong season culminated in an exciting premiership success for Xavier Saly at Westmeadows this year. Xavier booted 15 goals and was named in the best three times from his 14 games with the under- 19s to play a crucial role in the flag, where the side defeated Northern Saints by 37 points in the Grand Final.

Mohammed Abou-Eid
NGA
Mohammed Abou-Eid certainly got his fair share of experience around the big bodies of senior football this year, becoming a regular feature in the senior side for West Coburg and impressing with seven goals from his 10 games. He added three reserve games, two for the under-19 team and was rewarded with two NAB League games with the Calder Cannons where he averaged 15 disposals.

Brayden Rioli
NGA
A younger brother of Richmond star Daniel, Brayden Rioli mixed his time at St Mary’s in the NTFL between the senior and under-18 teams in the 2018/19 season. He played five games in the junior side and lined up seven times for the senior team, performing well to claim a rising star nomination. He has since joined the Tiwi Bombers for the 2019/20 season and has begun well, lining up on three occasions.

Joshua Misiti
Father - Joe Misiti
Josh Misiti, the son of two-time premiership hero Joe, put together another great year of football beside Max Fletcher in Aberfeldie’s under-17 team. Josh was in the best six times and kicked seven goals from 14 games with the side, but sadly the boys fell short in the Grand Final against Keilor. His efforts saw him rewarded with two NAB League games with Calder, where he got a good insight into what the next level will hold for him

Cody Brand
NGA
Cody Brand put together a great season this year, lining up in 10 games for the Calder Cannons and showing his versatility in strong performances both in attack and defence. He also played a key role in PEGS’ Grand Final victory over Assumption and had the exciting opportunity to take the field in the NAB AFL All Stars Futures game, which this year acted as a curtain-raiser for the AFL Grand Final.

Nyawi Moore
Father - Nathan Lovett-Murray
A son of former gun Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray, Nyawi Moore gained some valuable senior experience with 12 games for Woorinen in the Central Murray Football Netball League this year. After a dominant effort in the juniors in 2018, Nywai stepped up to the top level and was named in the best players twice from his 12 games, also showing his skills with Vic Country in the under-16 championship trial games.

Max Fletcher
Father - Dustin Fletcher
Max, the younger brother of Mason, also had an exciting year at both club and school level. He took part in nine games for Aberfeldie in the top division of the under-19 EDFL competition, and he also played his part in Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School’s premiership-winning victory over Assumption to add another flag under our JHA squad’s belt.

Preyben Tipiloura
NGA
This year was one of great growth for Tiwi talent Preyben Tipiloura, who recently made a successful and deserved senior debut for the Tiwi Bombers. He was one of the stars of the NTFL’s under-16 ranks before that, booting 19 goals and being named in the best players
in eight out of 10 games for St Mary’s. He was a feature of the Tuyu Buffaloes in the Tiwi Islands Football League with two goals from nine games and also represented the Northern Territory in two under-16 championship games. He added a sensational effort for the NT in the AFL National Inclusion Carnival, kicking four goals in the Grand Final to help the side knock off Vic Metro.

Alex Hird
Father - James Hird
Alex Hird continued to develop his soccer talents this year, taking the field 22 times for the Port Melbourne Sharks in the NPL East Vic Boys competition at under-16 level.

Tex Wanganeen
Father - Gavin Wanganeen
Tex Wanganeen, the son of club champion Gavin, put together another good year of football with Mitcham stepping up to under-16.5 level. He booted eight goals from as many games with the side and added four more matches with Sturt in the SANFL Under-16 Torrens University Cup, where he contributed a further three goals.

Jordan Burke
NGA
Jordan Burke was another JHA member to ply his trade in the under-16 NTFL competition. He lined up seven times for St Mary’s and claimed a spot in the best players, consistently proving dangerous in front of the big sticks with an impressive 12 goals.

There's updates on the younger kids as well, including the much touted Davey twins:

And also a bit of an article about Cody Brand, who is in our NGA, eligible for the 2020 draft, lifelong Essendon fan, etc.

Exciting NGA prospect Cody Brand models his game on club legend Dustin Fletcher and early signs have shown he certainly has a bright future ahead.
A lifelong Essendon supporter, the key-position player has thrived at The Hangar and says it has been amazing to learn from James Hird Academy head coach Heath Hocking while gaining regular defensive insights from Fletcher.

“It’s pretty cool, because I’m an Essendon supporter and I’ve always idolised Dustin. I play full-back and I model my game a lot around him,” Brand said.
“I’ve known Heath, too, growing up supporting the Bombers, so it’s pretty surreal to now be training with them. I find it pretty amazing.”

Brand has also soaked up Fletcher’s knowledge with his school side at Essendon Grammar, where the club legend oversees the backline.

“Dustin helps out a bit, so I get a little bit more one-on-one time with him. He takes control of the backs and I played down in the backline for the whole year this year.

“He helped me out and gave me a few tips and tricks, so it’s pretty handy having his support.”

Brand will be eligible for the 2020 draft and says the academy has been a big boost for his development on and off the field since joining the program at the start of 2018.

“It’s helped me enormously, both with strength through the gym and also through a lot of the craft work we do in the sessions.

“It’s a great help. Last week we covered mental health and preparation. We’ve got a cooking session, which will be pretty cool, and we do a real variety of things here.”

When not playing for his school this year, Brand was impressing in the NAB League as an underage player for the Calder Cannons.

The 195cm youngster averaged 7.9 disposals and 2.5 rebound 50s playing predominantly in defence in his 10 games for the Cannons this year, but also showed his versatility in adding three goals.

Brand’s impressive efforts saw him selected as one of just 48 talented draft prospects to take part in the NAB AFL All Stars curtain-raising match ahead of the Grand Final at the MCG, but the level-headed 17-year-old isn’t getting ahead of himself.

“It would be a childhood dream come true, I always imagined it. But there’s another 12 months and a lot of hard work to go, so we’ll see what happens when the time comes.

“I just want to play the best brand of footy I can play, whether that be at school footy or with Calder, and give myself every opportunity come next year for something to happen.”

Brand’s proud Indigenous roots pass through from his grandfather, who moved to Victoria from the Ben Lomond nation in Tasmania, and he says the rich and long-standing Indigenous history at Essendon has given him something special to look up to.

“You hear the stories of Michael Long, where he came from, and even Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti we’ve got running around now.

“You hear those stories and it makes you appreciate what you’re a part of and it’s something you can look forward to for the years to come.”

We could be in for quite reasonable haul next year via these academies and father/sons.

Cody Brand (195cm/81kg) Key def
Josh Eyre (194cm/80kg) Key fwd/def
Xavier Saly (180cm/79kg) sm fwd)
Brayden Rioli (180cm/??kg) utility small
Max Fletcher (192cm/70kg) utility

That is just the start Brand and Eyre the two most likely ones at the moment whilst Riolli is doing some nice things in the current NTFL for the Tiwi Islands Premier (top division) side, playing all 3 games so far.

Exciting to keep an eye out on all these kids. Some genuine height to keep an eye out for with Brand, Eyre, Fletcher all 190cm+

Any players available of note this season ?
The two guys that appear of note are Mason Fletcher (undrafted) and Jeffrey Simon (more than likely undrafted) who played rep footy for Northern Territory this year. An outside mid/flanker measuring in about 180cm. Could, could, could be a post draft Cat B listing.

The two guys that appear of note are Mason Fletcher (undrafted) and Jeffrey Simon (more than likely undrafted) who played rep footy for Northern Territory this year. An outside mid/flanker measuring in about 180cm. Could, could, could be a post draft Cat B listing.
May as well take the punt on both.

We could be in for quite reasonable haul next year via these academies and father/sons.

Cody Brand (195cm/81kg) Key def
Josh Eyre (194cm/80kg) Key fwd/def
Xavier Saly (180cm/79kg) sm fwd)
Brayden Rioli (180cm/??kg) utility small
Max Fletcher (192cm/70kg) utility

That is just the start Brand and Eyre the two most likely ones at the moment whilst Riolli is doing some nice things in the current NTFL for the Tiwi Islands Premier (top division) side, playing all 3 games so far.

Exciting to keep an eye out on all these kids. Some genuine height to keep an eye out for with Brand, Eyre, Fletcher all 190cm+
Right now brand is the only one who looks a top 60 prospect. Rioli and fletcher have a lot of work to even be considered draftable. Max not playing a single game for cannons in his under age year is not a good sign.

Right now brand is the only one who looks a top 60 prospect. Rioli and fletcher have a lot of work to even be considered draftable. Max not playing a single game for cannons in his under age year is not a good sign.
Both Eyre and Max Fletcher are top 60 prospects for mine with Eyre potentially better than Brand aswel.

Max and Eyre both look like long term prospects regardless but both look the goods as CHF types

I like eyre but wouldn’t think he is a top 60 prospect currently
Would like to see your 59 ranked higher if that’s the case haha

I’m just spitballing anyway as im not even close to having even a top 20 sorted for next year but from what I’ve seen I certainly can’t rule out the likes of Brand and Eyre being top 30 prospects especially as they have been selected in the AFL academy which is usually a pretty good indicator of how they are rated by clubs.

Would like to see your 59 ranked higher if that’s the case haha

I’m just spitballing anyway as im not even close to having even a top 20 sorted for next year but from what I’ve seen I certainly can’t rule out the likes of Brand and Eyre being top 30 prospects especially as they have been selected in the AFL academy which is usually a pretty good indicator of how they are rated by clubs.
I watched him play a few games live this year and he didn’t do much that stood out (in saying that he is an underage tall).

I watched him play a few games live this year and he didn’t do much that stood out (in saying that he is an underage tall).
Yeah I find most underage talls float in and out of games especially since they are so underdeveloped so I just look for the little traits like clean hands overhead and mobility which he certainly looks to have.

Harrison Jones a good example last year and don’t think anybody expected he look a potential top 30 prospect a year out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I find most underage talls float in and out of games especially since they are so underdeveloped so I just look for the little traits like clean hands overhead and mobility which he certainly looks to have.

Harrison Jones a good example last year and don’t think anybody expected he look a potential top 30 prospect a year out
Yeah sometimes you are only for a glimpse ( a big pack mark, agility etc) and hope into the future they can start replicating their traits more consistently.
Personally I think harry Jones had a better year for Calder last year, when he played in the ruck ( not saying I think he’s a ruck). His best game this year was when he kicked 4 for vic metro in a trial and got himself into the squad.

Found this article from back in October but appears both Josh Eyre and Cody Brand (both NGA) are involved in the National Academy set up for 2020. Great news for both that seem to be on an upward trend heading into 2020.

Has a full list in the article;
ONE-hundred and fifty of the top identified 2020 and 2021 AFL Draft talents have been named in the NAB AFL Academy Squads today. The program sees players from across each state and territory take part in high performance camps focusing on players’ on and off-field education throughout the month of December.

In what has been touted as a highly compromised draft in the sense that plenty of players are already attached to AFL clubs via either father-son or Next Generation Academy (NGA) and Northern Academies, there is plenty to like from all club supporters for not only next year’s draft, but the following year as well. Among the names over the next two years, Nick Daicos (Peter – 2021), Luke Edwards (Tyson) and Taj Schofield (Jarrod) are potential father-son selections, while Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs), Reef McInnes (Collingwood), Coby Brand (Essendon), Connor Downie (Hawthorn), James Borlase (Adelaide) and Joel Western (Fremantle) are among some of the NGA prospects.

Yeah sometimes you are only for a glimpse ( a big pack mark, agility etc) and hope into the future they can start replicating their traits more consistently.
Personally I think harry Jones had a better year for Calder last year, when he played in the ruck ( not saying I think he’s a ruck). His best game this year was when he kicked 4 for vic metro in a trial and got himself into the squad.

It's hard enough to assess talls as 18 year olds.

As 17 year olds? It's prodigies (e.g. Daniher and King) and annointed man children who are not suited to modern footy/not good enough (e.g. Boyd and Schache).

And yet plenty of quality tall players get recruited almost none of whom (other than the prodigies) are reported as consistently impacting games.

It's hard enough to assess talls as 18 year olds.

As 17 year olds? It's prodigies (e.g. Daniher and King) and annointed man children who are not suited to modern footy/not good enough (e.g. Boyd and Schache).

And yet plenty of quality tall players get recruited almost none of whom (other than the prodigies) are reported as consistently impacting games.

Did a study once and something like 80% of AFL standard key position players (KPF/KPD) were taken inside the top 30. Exceptions exist, rare but do happen.

Wanganeen? Tex was at Prince Alfred in Adelaide last I heard.
Do all of the West Coast Academy kids live in Perth?

The kids of our 100+ game players are in JHA, plus our NGA kids. It doesn’t mean we have exclusive rights to them or that they live in Essendon. Tex is also a father-son for Port and lives in Adelaide as you say. I think NLM’s kids were based in Queensland too and Hird’s kids are more into soccer.

I don’t think the academy meets that often anyway, other than the acceleration group perhaps, and even when it does they don’t necessarily have to attend every session. There aren’t enough people in the academy to form a team so it’s not like they’re expected to compete for the club every weekend.

They’d be playing footy with their local clubs, TAC, AFL Academy or whatever else they qualify for where they live.

Do all of the West Coast Academy kids live in Perth?

The kids of our 100+ game players are in JHA, plus our NGA kids. It doesn’t mean we have exclusive rights to them or that they live in Essendon. Tex is also a father-son for Port and lives in Adelaide as you say. I think NLM’s kids were based in Queensland too and Hird’s kids are more into soccer.

I don’t think the academy meets that often anyway, other than the acceleration group perhaps, and even when it does they don’t necessarily have to attend every session. There aren’t enough people in the academy to form a team so it’s not like they’re expected to compete for the club every weekend.

They’d be playing footy with their local clubs, TAC, AFL Academy or whatever else they qualify for where they live.

Not sure you need read any level of exclusivity into my reference to Tex Wanganeen.

When kids are entitled to pick/reject clubs under any circumstance (e.g Nick Blakey, Lloydy Johnsons grandson Lachy), being in any Academy means naught.

Not sure you need read any level of exclusivity into my reference to Tex Wanganeen.

When kids are entitled to pick/reject clubs under any circumstance (e.g Nick Blakey, Lloydy Johnsons grandson Lachy), being in any Academy means naught.
What is the relevance of him being at school in Adelaide then? It seemed you were questioning that he could be in an academy in one state while living in another, as though being in the academy meant he had obligations that clashed with his education.

Now you say the academy means nothing (which is what I was trying to explain in saying that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of commitment involved in JHA membership). If you knew that already, then I’m not sure what point you were trying to make?

What is the relevance of him being at school in Adelaide then? It seemed you were questioning that he could be in an academy in one state while living in another, as though being in the academy meant he had obligations that clashed with his education.

Now you say the academy means nothing (which is what I was trying to explain in saying that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of commitment involved in JHA membership). If you knew that already, then I’m not sure what point you were trying to make?

I responded to a post.
Stop trying to infer I ... anything.
There was lots of comment similar to yours over Nick Blakey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back