Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

People seem to have made a lot out of a simple idea. The idea was very basic. Clubs can have priority access to a player that plays a full season in their VFL. Does not matter what age or where they came from. For example we would have had priority to pick Nick Hind or Walla rather than them going into the open draft .
But what is the purpose? What does it gain? These players are being recruited anyway.

It will clearly distort the draft. The guys passed over may not be good prospects, but there will be ones who are better prospects. If the clubs with strong coteries target them, then over time the Kangaroos and St Kildas of this world will be selected against. Because they’ll struggle to attract these guys.

If there is no shenanigans then the WA and SA teams will have an advantage as those state leagues have higher salaries.

Put it most simply. Say we don’t select Martin for one of our last spots. But we offer him a VFL spot. So does another club. Why should the team he selects have priority next year over the club he declines?

About the only way you could do this fairly is to have a third draft for teams’ state league spots. And then unless salaries were increased you’d have huge issues with kids selected by clubs not in their home state.

The idea is simply flawed.

But what is the purpose? What does it gain? These players are being recruited anyway.

It will clearly distort the draft. The guys passed over may not be good prospects, but there will be ones who are better prospects. If the clubs with strong coteries target them, then over time the Kangaroos and St Kildas of this world will be selected against. Because they’ll struggle to attract these guys.

If there is no shenanigans then the WA and SA teams will have an advantage as those state leagues have higher salaries.

Put it most simply. Say we don’t select Martin for one of our last spots. But we offer him a VFL spot. So does another club. Why should the team he selects have priority next year over the club he declines?

About the only way you could do this fairly is to have a third draft for teams’ state league spots. And then unless salaries were increased you’d have huge issues with kids selected by clubs not in their home state.

Thank you. Well summarized.

Of course anything you. do not agree with is flawed :rolleyes:
By the way both the SANFL and WAFL salary caps where not a lot higher than the VFL last year. SANFL $210k and WAFL $250k. VFL $200k stand alone and $100k aligned.
The SANFL was previously at $400k. It has never been overly high and is staying at $210k for 2022. There has always been calls for them to increase the Cap so that they can retain players. Even the WAFL has been under $300k for non aligned clubs before covid. The VFL has always been in the same ball park with the 2019 cap being $380k and it was actually due to be reduced to $350k in 2020 before covid stopped the season.

At the end of the day the idea was simply a small reward for clubs putting effort into developing players in their VFL squad. The club player X selects gets priority over him because they are putting the development work in and paying for it. It is not like clubs will be squabbling over single players given how often most would have been passed over. The VFL needs everything it can get to give it a kick along. The SANFL and WAFL are not in as good a shape as you seem to be alluding to either.

The low salary caps actually stop coterie groups from having much influence and the AFL can police it in the same way they do the AFL cap. Lets face it at $350k (what the top end of the cap would have been) and for the clubs fielding their own side the cap is even lower there is not a lot of room for clubs to get an advantage. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Personally I would prefer to see the VFL aligned with the NAB league and the AFL have a reserves comp but that is not going to happen.

Right now the AFL is running the VFL into the ground.

Last edited:

Holler Emmy Awards GIF by Emmys

Of course anything you. do not agree with is flawed :rolleyes:
By the way both the SANFL and WAFL salary caps where not a lot higher than the VFL last year. SANFL $210k and WAFL $250k. VFL $200k stand alone and $100k aligned.
The SANFL was previously at $400k. It has never been overly high and is staying at $210k for 2022. There has always been calls for them to increase the Cap so that they can retain players. Even the WAFL has been under $300k for non aligned clubs before covid. The VFL has always been in the same ball park with the 2019 cap being $380k and it was actually due to be reduced to $350k in 2020 before covid stopped the season.

At the end of the day the idea was simply a small reward for clubs putting effort into developing players in their VFL squad. The club player X selects gets priority over him because they are putting the development work in and paying for it. It is not like clubs will be squabbling over single players given how often most would have been passed over. The VFL needs everything it can get to give it a kick along. The SANFL and WAFL are not in as good a shape as you seem to be alluding to either.

The low salary caps actually stop coterie groups from having much influence and the AFL can police it in the same way they do the AFL cap. Lets face it at $350k (what the top end of the cap would have been) and for the clubs fielding their own side the cap is even lower there is not a lot of room for clubs to get an advantage. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Personally I would prefer to see the VFL aligned with the NAB league and the AFL have a reserves comp but that is not going to happen.

As much as the AFL has run the VFL into the ground, it's too late, isn't it?

Clubs already struggle to attract talent because of the money available in other leagues and the desire to play with mates, etc. If you have AFL reserves that's where players who want a second opportunity will position themselves.

As I see it the VFL then becomes completely irrelevant. I think this eastern league could be a really good thing but it is going to need time. I see no way the VFL can ever get back to the VFA era.

Clubs already struggle to attract talent because of the money available in other leagues and the desire to play with mates, etc. If you have AFL reserves that's where players who want a second opportunity will position themselves.

As I see it the VFL then becomes completely irrelevant. I think this eastern league could be a really good thing but it is going to need time. I see no way the VFL can ever get back to the VFA era.
This can't be underestimated.

I signed a guy to a much lower level country league straight from the VFL because the club could offer him similar cash to play with his mates and only train once a week.

This can't be underestimated.

I signed a guy to a much lower level country league straight from the VFL because the club could offer him similar cash to play with his mates and only train once a week.
Even sanfl teams are starting to lose more talent to country leagues. If you can get paid 4 figures a week to play a much easier standard why would you bother to make the extra effort to compete against afl listed guys.

I think the VFL survives if they align the NAB league with it but it is never going to happen so they need to make sure the current league becomes a bit more meaningful. Right now there will be Division 1 clubs with bigger budgets than the VFL sides.

I was very impressed by Tex.

The boy has class with the ball but can scrap for it and he is quite physical. He has a real presence, that doesn't belong to a kid who has hardly played at any level.

He looked like he belonged in the intra club though I have no feeling for what sort of player he ends up and what his ceiling is.

If that is what he has been doing all pre-season he's done what I thought should have been the impossible, he's legitimately played himself onto the list.

Removing the name from it, we'd be very happy with any 18 yo small forward who put that game together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not hard at all, I’d be absolutely staggered if Essendon don’t take him.
I’d be very surprised if he got taken open draft now. 2 acl recos before 18 is nothing to discard. Look at Baldwin he was considered a top 10 talent and didn’t get taken and Davey is a way lower ranked prospect than him. I’d say it’ll be a rookie spot, depending on how his rehab goes.

I’d be very surprised if he got taken open draft now. 2 acl recos before 18 is nothing to discard. Look at Baldwin he was considered a top 10 talent and didn’t get taken and Davey is a way lower ranked prospect than him. I’d say it’ll be a rookie spot, depending on how his rehab goes.
$50 says we take him F/S

$50 says we take him F/S
Open draft or rookie. Look I’d love for both alwyn and Jayden to be both on the senior list together next year, I’ve been following them since they were 13. But reality is Jayden was/is seen as a top 45 prospect, and now he’s done a 2nd acl before his 18th birthday. Reality is that’s a big question mark to take someone onto the senior list when the draft these days is only 60-65 picks and senior list spots are at a premium. I wouldn’t say it’s beyond the realm for him to be either rookied or trains with the club over summer and if all goes well is signed like Tex. If coming into this year Jayden was seen as a top 10-15 pick, now that’s a different story.

Open draft or rookie. Look I’d love for both alwyn and Jayden to be both on the senior list together next year, I’ve been following them since they were 13. But reality is Jayden was/is seen as a top 45 prospect, and now he’s done a 2nd acl before his 18th birthday. Reality is that’s a big question mark to take someone onto the senior list when the draft these days is only 60-65 picks and senior list spots are at a premium. I wouldn’t say it’s beyond the realm for him to be either rookied or trains with the club over summer and if all goes well is signed like Tex.
F/S in the ND.

Open draft or rookie. Look I’d love for both alwyn and Jayden to be both on the senior list together next year, I’ve been following them since they were 13. But reality is Jayden was/is seen as a top 45 prospect, and now he’s done a 2nd acl before his 18th birthday. Reality is that’s a big question mark to take someone onto the senior list when the draft these days is only 60-65 picks and senior list spots are at a premium. I wouldn’t say it’s beyond the realm for him to be either rookied or trains with the club over summer and if all goes well is signed like Tex. If coming into this year Jayden was seen as a top 10-15 pick, now that’s a different story.
It is hard to argue that it is very unlikely that he would be picked up in the first 4 rounds of the ND but I would not rule out late ND or rookie given he will be ready to play before next season starts. Risk yes but that is what the late picks are for. Right now I would agree that rookie would be the earliest but someone could make an unlikely bid.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back