Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand why the AFL changed the NGA rules after the dogs got JUH but I don't think it's fair to the other clubs to miss out of their slice of the pie, so I propose this as an alternative...

You can match a 1st round NGA player bid once every 5 years, and you can match bids from the 2nd round all the time.

Meaning the Dees would need to weigh up a match on Mac Andrew this year knowing they would be unable to match another 1st round NGA bid for 5 years.

Reckon this is a fairer system??

*Doesn't need to be 5 years.

I understand why the AFL changed the NGA rules after the dogs got JUH but I don't think it's fair to the other clubs to miss out of their slice of the pie, so I propose this as an alternative...

You can match a 1st round NGA player bid once every 5 years, and you can match bids from the 2nd round all the time.

Meaning the Dees would need to weigh up a match on Mac Andrew this year knowing they would be unable to match another 1st round NGA bid for 5 years.

Whenever you stop it, someone will get screwed over.

The Dogs have absolutely cleaned up, getting JUH & Darcy in consecutive years with NGA and FS. Arguably Geelong had similar with their FS players a decade or so ago.

I floated something similar. Each club has the ability to match ONE nGA player in the decade before that ability expires.

Would see us for example contemplate taking Anthony Munkara this year or potentially wait for Ryan Eyre (Josh’s brother) who could be a top 10 pick.

After that selection is taken, only players in the second round onwards can be matched.

Someone somewhere will exploit it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I floated something similar. Each club has the ability to match ONE nGA player in the decade before that ability expires.

Would see us for example contemplate taking Anthony Munkara this year or potentially wait for Ryan Eyre (Josh’s brother) who could be a top 10 pick.

After that selection is taken, only players in the second round onwards can be matched.

Adds another level to list management and the ability to identify talent.

My suggestion was that they should have added up the points every club had matched, and whoever was highest that was the cap. And each team could keep matching until their points dropped to the point they can't match someone in the top 40 anymore. So teams like Doggies, North, Collingwood who had had first round picks would likely have little ability to get more NGAs. A team who'd had nobody could keep matching players.

Of course, that would have meant Melbourne picked up Mac Andrews for free this year. We might not have got Hobbs.

A heads up for those who don’t really follow. Mason fletcher playing on the #3 seed Cinnicinati, currently undefeated for the season. If they win this week they’ll go into the the college football playoff, which would be a first for that team. Mason will have a huge role to play, playing against better defenses he’ll likely be punting more often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that we don't have Alessio training with us at the moment considering he is the same age as the Davey boys and he played a game for Calder Cannons last year as an under-ager.

I recall Hird, Wanganeen, Moore and Misiti did last year when they were the corresponding age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back