Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is actually eligible this year, he has some talent but he is a very raw prospect. If anything we will take him in the rookie draft if at all. Bishop seems to think we are interested enough to take him but for me he would be taken at the very last pick in the rookie draft

As a "free hit" on a player who fills a position of great need (KPF), would be silly not to

Because he's got skillz... but also because of the AFL academies set up these days.

To compensate for northern states supposedly getting a leg up developing the game, we get to claim some kids from calder cannons somehow.

I dunno how it works but I'm sure someone will inform the both of us...
Hanna is in our multicultural academy, anyone with a multicultural background that lives in the Calder region is in our academy.

This is just the acceleration group (16-18yo), not the full list of father/sons and next gen academy kids:

DANIEL HANNA (NGA)
A 200cm surprise packet out of the St. Bernards football program, Daniel played for Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup
this season, while also taking part in JHA Acceleration Group commitments. Although Calder missed the nals, Daniel had more success at school level with St. Bernards beating St Bedes Mentone in the ACC nal, which earned the team a place in the elite Herald Sun Shield competition. Daniel booted two goals in St. Bernard’s Preliminary Final win and was part of the Grand Final victory over St. Patricks Ballarat, topping off an impressive year for the youngster.

JAXON NEAGLE (FATHER-SON)
2017 has seen Jaxon take the next step forward in his football development, playing his rst year of senior football, whilst also juggling duties at reserve level for the Wodonga Raiders in the Ovens & Murray Football League. With the seniors falling short after their week one elimination nal loss, Jaxon’s attention turned to chasing glory with the Raiders reserves. After ending the Home & Away Season on top of the ladder, the Raiders defeated Lavington in the Grand Final 16.8.104 to 7.6.48 with Jaxon named 4th best on ground for the day. The JHA congratulates Jaxon on a great season!

ISMAIL MOUSSA (NGA)
Ismail has enjoyed a busy season playing for Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup and Essendon Keilor College (EKC) at school level. By winning the SSV Finals, EKC earned a place in the Herald Sun Shield competition with EKC going down to St. Patricks in the Semi Final. ‘Izzy’ was also part of the Aberfeldie Under-17 Division 1 Premiership team in the EDFL, defeating Strathmore by six points in the Grand Final.

MASON FLETCHER (FATHER-SON)
The eldest son of Bombers champion and games record holder Dustin Fletcher, Mason plays for PEGS at school level and also notched up ten games as a bottom-ager for the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup. PEGS exited the AGSV Finals at the hands of Marcellin College, but the highlight for Mason came in June of this year when he played for the Vic Metro Futures Under-17 side.

KYLE GILLARD (NGA)
A prodigious hoop talent, Kyle comes from a non-conventional football background and plays basketball at the Maribyrnong Sports Academy. Despite not currently playing competitive football, Kyle’s athleticism leaves plenty of upside should he decide to make the transition to Aussie Rules.

JAKE FIREBRACE (NGA)
Jake plays for Calder Cannons (TAC Cup) and Craigieburn’s Under-17 Division 2 team in the EDFL. Craigieburn nished 5th on the ladder and unfortunately missed out on nals quali cation. Jake also played for Craigieburn Secondary College throughout the year.

KURTIS BARNARD (FATHER-SON)
The eldest son of Essendon 2000 Premiership hero Paul Barnard, Kurtis enjoyed Grand Final success in the EDFL with Aberfeldie’s Under-17 Division 2 side defeating Greenvale 12.8.80 to 4.15.39.

LACHLAN JOHNSON (NGA)
Lachlan (son of triple Premiership defender Chris Johnson) is part of Essendon’s Next Generation Academy and is also eligible to be drafted by the Brisbane Lions as a Father-Son pick in the 2019 draft.

Also: Ricky O’Donnell, Darcy Denham and Tom Hird.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Club HQ/JHA Newsletter_LatestIssue_18.pdf

Other than Mason Fletcher, do we know anything about any of these guys? D_P_S?

We don't have any coming through this year anyway, but I wonder when the bidding comes in for Next Gen Academy players... I thought it might be this year but as long as it comes in soon...

Last edited:
This is just the acceleration group (16-18yo), not the full list of father/sons and next gen academy kids:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Club HQ/JHA Newsletter_LatestIssue_18.pdf

Other than Mason Fletcher, do we know anything about any of these guys? D_P_S?

We don't have any coming through this year anyway, but I wonder when the bidding comes in for Next Gen Academy players... I thought it might be this year but as long as it comes in soon...
Ive watched both Hanna and Firebrace. Hanna is available this year and may be worth a rookie spot and Firebrace has some speed moves really well, is shorter than Tippa at 169cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive watched both Hanna and Firebrace. Hanna is available this year and may be worth a rookie spot and Firebrace has some speed moves really well, is shorter than Tippa at 169cm.
Firebrace ought to be drafted even just for his name haha. That is a cool name.

Did a bit more digging, it looks like the bidding system for these players starts this year, so we have rights to match the bid on any of these kids at any point in the draft, not just as a rookie if they miss the draft (same as f/s and northern academies), which is awesome! Even though we don't stand to benefit much from it in the immediate future :p

To be eligible the clubs have to tell the AFL and a committee rules on their eligibility before they can be added to the list. Players can be added to the list up to five years in advance, but why would you want to encourage other clubs to check into them and possibly bid on them if you don't have to?

There's also another name for 2018 in that link, Lucas Cooper from Maningrida (draft eligible in 2018).

link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-09/hawks-primed-to-land-next-generation-academy-forward

According to Paul Amy, Todd Van Der Haar is moving on from the Casey Demons. Back to the Eastern Football League.
He really needed to crack more senior games this year to survive, especially with no more DL.

Why do some clubs have a much larger list than others? I know the kid at the top of the list for Carlton, Ethan Penrith. My son did athletics with him and was involved with the V-Squad with him. His father played for St Kilda and Andrew Lovett was is his uncle. Super talented kid with amazing game awareness and can cut through traffic really well. Good size being lean and tall. While he is lean he has a big frame and could easily put a few kgs on it. My son also played in the state Aboriginal u16 side with him. The tryouts were at Princess Park and when we were given a tour of their facility there, he and his mum were very excited because they are big Carlton fans.

Why do some clubs have a much larger list than others? I know the kid at the top of the list for Carlton, Ethan Penrith. My son did athletics with him and was involved with the V-Squad with him. His father played for St Kilda and Andrew Lovett was is his uncle. Super talented kid with amazing game awareness and can cut through traffic really well. Good size being lean and tall. While he is lean he has a big frame and could easily put a few kgs on it. My son also played in the state Aboriginal u16 side with him. The tryouts were at Princess Park and when we were given a tour of their facility there, he and his mum were very excited because they are big Carlton fans.
The lists are kids that clubs have asked the AFL committee about and the committee has ruled one way or the other about whether they're eligible. Clubs can nominate them to the committee up to five years in advance of their draft year, but some don't, I guess either because they don't know/don't care or want to keep their cards close to their chest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back