Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
9DCAA6AF-2943-4BAA-B43F-95F5EDC24190.jpeg

38657490-23A0-4E05-A7DC-2B4768DE16E6.jpeg

8FF5FF4D-F936-429C-9E81-E9215F4D34A3.jpeg

1AC7F2FF-C2E6-4F6F-811B-2A8CC37E38F7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
What would happen if these Davey twins go into the draft as the top 2 prospects, Going into deficit doesn't worry me, But how does it actually work? Would our following year draft position be completely destroyed?

Will be very unlikely that these 2 boys will be 1 and 2.
Depends where we finish.
Using the median draft position (9th of 18) all our draft points that year over 4 rounds would be 2531 which means 1 and 2 would put us in deficit of about 1900 points which means we would lose about a first round pick the next year

Obviously it depends on our draft position. Higher and lower draft picks affect potential deficits

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Depends where we finish.
Using the median draft position (9th of 18) all our draft points that year over 4 rounds would be 2531 which means 1 and 2 would put us in deficit of about 1900 points which means we would lose about a first round pick the next year

Obviously it depends on our draft position. Higher and lower draft picks affect potential deficits

Hypothetically, if this scenario were to play out, what is there in the rules to stop a club like us saying to the twins - "ok, we can't commit that many points to you, but just let any club draft you and play out your initial 2yr contract, then tell them you won't re-sign, and say you want a trade to us"?
You run the risk of them being happy at the club that drafts them, and changing their minds about staying.
But, otherwise, you get 2yrs of development out of them and then get them at age 20, ready to go.
You could even go as far as telling them it is ok to tell clubs interested in drafting them that this is their intent, so no-one needs to be offended by any subterfuge.
Is this draft tampering? Is there any other rule preventing it?
What makes me think about it is the way clubs avoided bidding on Jack Silvagni, until Dodo in the 50s did. I reckon his commitment to Carlton would have put a few clubs off.

Hypothetically, if this scenario were to play out, what is there in the rules to stop a club like us saying to the twins - "ok, we can't commit that many points to you, but just let any club draft you and play out your initial 2yr contract, then tell them you won't re-sign, and say you want a trade to us"?
You run the risk of them being happy at the club that drafts them, and changing their minds about staying.
But, otherwise, you get 2yrs of development out of them and then get them at age 20, ready to go.
You could even go as far as telling them it is ok to tell clubs interested in drafting them that this is their intent, so no-one needs to be offended by any subterfuge.
What makes me think about it is the way clubs avoided bidding on Jack Silvagni, until Dodo in the 50s did. I reckon his commitment to Carlton would have put a few clubs off.
Thats very similar to what Adelaide got done for with Tippett, just from the other direction. Yes it is draft tampering

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon

I think the real reason they avoided bidding on him was that he wasn't that good. Not because of some sort of respect for his wishes. Believe me if he was playing like a number 1 pick they all would have been bidding on him regardless.

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the real reason they avoided bidding on him was that he wasn't that good. Not because of some sort of respect for his wishes. Believe me if he was playing like a number 1 pick they all would have been bidding on him regardless.

And let's say that happens, and say Brisbane draft him at #1. Isn't he a big chance to leave after 2yrs and want to go to Carlton? It isn't draft tampering if Carlton don't put him up to it.
Surely the risk of that happening would put Brisbane or any other club off him enough not to bid on him.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
And let's say that happens, and say Brisbane draft him at #1. Isn't he a big chance to leave after 2yrs and want to go to Carlton? It isn't draft tampering if Carlton don't put him up to it.
Surely the risk of that happening would put Brisbane or any other club off him enough not to bid on him.
We'll see soon enough with his younger brother. Is the real deal.

Personally, if the Davey twins are looking like becoming jets, you're better off telling them to keep a low profile and "focus on their studies" in their underage years.

Back