James Hird gone, presser at 3:15 today - The Age

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in the timing. Is there more to Albert's long awaited departure than just a lazy 100 point loss to the Crows? It could have happened a few weeks before or at the end of the season but why that week?

Was it that
  1. the Media had eventually got their man or
  2. documentation could have been provided by WADA recently to EFC could have shortened the reign of King Albert or
  3. Essendon were hemorrhaging home game cash flow and that the finance bods had decided it was time to cut him loose or
  4. The Dirty Digger, Rupert Murdoch, told the AFL in no uncertain terms that he wasn't signing any fugging contract until James had officially gone and hence the delay in the TV rights presser?

I think 4 is the wrong way around. News Corp got beaten wrt the NRL deal, so the Murdoctopus needed the AFL and came to town desperate for a deal. I reckon Gilligan said to the Murdoctopus, I'm not signing any contract until you pull the plug on your support for the Golden One. And a few other things like billions of dollars and better press in your rags. Robert "Like a son" Thompson goes to the footy with Hird before he resigns and explains the new situation, then both get announced within nearly an hour together. Gilligan when asked denies there is a connection, but the AFL generally get's its man, and what a way to show it.

I'm interested in the timing. Is there more to Albert's long awaited departure than just a lazy 100 point loss to the Crows? It could have happened a few weeks before or at the end of the season but why that week?

Was it that
  2. documentation could have been provided by WADA recently to EFC could have shortened the reign of King Albert or
  3. Essendon were hemorrhaging home game cash flow and that the finance bods had decided it was time to cut him loose or
  4. The Dirty Digger, Rupert Murdoch, told the AFL in no uncertain terms that he wasn't signing any fugging contract until James had officially gone and hence the delay in the TV rights presser?
I just think that to start looking for a proper replacement they need to start now. They are already behind the ball. Sacking Hird, and be sure, it was a sacking, enables them to start searching. That he resigned to free the team from some imagined claustrophobia and not because he has lost his players who no longer believe in his methods, is wonderful comedy and treats dons supporters as fools.

Interesting that, isn't it? Most games ok for the first qtr- Bombers. As if to say "we can but we won't". FU Hird?
Lovely lovely draft picks. they smell nice! mmmm.
There's a good chance we can finish second last yet ;). Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I think 4 is the wrong way around. News Corp got beaten wrt the NRL deal, so the Murdoctopus needed the AFL and came to town desperate for a deal. I reckon Gilligan said to the Murdoctopus, I'm not signing any contract until you pull the plug on your support for the Golden One. And a few other things like billions of dollars and better press in your rags. Robert "Like a son" Thompson goes to the footy with Hird before he resigns and explains the new situation, then both get announced within nearly an hour together. Gilligan when asked denies there is a connection, but the AFL generally get's its man, and what a way to show it.
magnificent!

Packer came to the AFL, cap in hand, begging them to please please pretty please take $2.5 Billion, and Gill said "* off Rupert, we're not taking your money, unless you get down on your knees and beg, and tell Robert Thomson to stop supporting Hird. Otherwise take your truckloads of cash and * off, we'll sign a deal with ******* ABC or something." So Packer caves in and starts gibbering for mercy "please take the money and I promise I'll put a leash on Thomson waaaah stop being so mean to me". Then Hird gets a call from Robert: "mate, I'm so sorry, have to put Robbo on to some other stories, and Chip's off the case too" and Hird thought "* that's it then, I'm done for" so he quits, and Gill rings up Packer and goes "ok campaigner, we'll take your money now, but don't think of trying to do anything like this ever again"

I love it so much

magnificent!

Packer came to the AFL, cap in hand, begging them to please please pretty please take $2.5 Billion, and Gill said "**** off Rupert, we're not taking your money, unless you get down on your knees and beg, and tell Robert Thomson to stop supporting Hird. Otherwise take your truckloads of cash and **** off, we'll sign a deal with ******* ABC or something." So Packer caves in and starts gibbering for mercy "please take the money and I promise I'll put a leash on Thomson waaaah stop being so mean to me". Then Hird gets a call from Robert: "mate, I'm so sorry, have to put Robbo on to some other stories, and Chip's off the case too" and Hird thought "**** that's it then, I'm done for" so he quits, and Gill rings up Packer and goes "ok campaigner, we'll take your money now, but don't think of trying to do anything like this ever again"

I love it so much
Funny thing is Lance... as much as we laugh and think how ridiculous, these types of machinations actually do sometimes happen behind the scenes. Sometimes the truth is so much worse than what we could ever imagine!

Funny thing is Lance... as much as we laugh and think how ridiculous, these types of machinations actually do sometimes happen behind the scenes. Sometimes the truth is so much worse than what we could ever imagine!

not like that though, you take orders from the kingmaker not give them

not like that though, you take orders from the kingmaker not give them

Yeah perhaps Rupert was backing one side to drive the price down of the product. Then when the deal gets done he wants his product to appreciate so out with all of this side noise. :D

"We can't give you that much...what happens when a team gets banned for doping and there are some belligerent personalities that won't take no for an answer...and a few seasons get ruined because of it?"

magnificent!

Packer came to the AFL, cap in hand, begging them to please please pretty please take $2.5 Billion, and Gill said "**** off Rupert, we're not taking your money, unless you get down on your knees and beg, and tell Robert Thomson to stop supporting Hird. Otherwise take your truckloads of cash and **** off, we'll sign a deal with ******* ABC or something." So Packer caves in and starts gibbering for mercy "please take the money and I promise I'll put a leash on Thomson waaaah stop being so mean to me". Then Hird gets a call from Robert: "mate, I'm so sorry, have to put Robbo on to some other stories, and Chip's off the case too" and Hird thought "**** that's it then, I'm done for" so he quits, and Gill rings up Packer and goes "ok campaigner, we'll take your money now, but don't think of trying to do anything like this ever again"

I love it so much
Enjoyable read. I'd throw in the name "Google" in there somewhere as one of the big threats too.
Saw a report somewhere else that AFL/NRL had been shopping around, outside of the traditional partners - even if only as a negotiation tactic.

it is very interesting how this whole thing has died and gone away from the media as soon as Hird exited the building, hmmmm :confused:

Not even a week, and the bombers were competitive against a similar ranked team.

However suspect the leaks might have now stopped to spawn the stories and we wont hear much until just before the WADA hearing.

it is very interesting how this whole thing has died and gone away from the media as soon as Hird exited the building, hmmmm :confused:

The PR section of the AFL and EFC is still co-ordinating the show.

It’s as if WADA is a non-existing global body.

They’re trying to massage the message to “nothing to see here, it’s all OK, you don’t need to worry about anything.”

The articles late last week talking about “Essendon is still in a good financial position” and “Ess coaching job is more desirable than Carlton’s” show that “PR” is still running the show.

Essendon’s next two or so Financial Account Statements will make for very interesting readin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The PR section of the AFL and EFC is still co-ordinating the show.

It’s as if WADA is a non-existing global body.

They’re trying to massage the message to “nothing to see here, it’s all OK, you don’t need to worry about anything.”

The articles late last week talking about “Essendon is still in a good financial position” and “Ess coaching job is more desirable than Carlton’s” show that “PR” is still running the show.

Essendon’s next two or so Financial Account Statements will make for very interesting readin

The PR for this whole thing would be very different if Hird was gone from the start. I wonder if the EFC can see what has happened in the last week and wished it had been this way for the last 3 years.

Enjoyable read. I'd throw in the name "Google" in there somewhere as one of the big threats too.
Saw a report somewhere else that AFL/NRL had been shopping around, outside of the traditional partners - even if only as a negotiation tactic.
I'm sure they talked to Telstra, and they are always thinking about going it alone and doing it themselves. But yeah, the idea that the AFL would dictate to the Murdochs and refuse $2.5b unless their edicts were adhered to is laughable in the extreme

I'm sure they talked to Telstra, and they are always thinking about going it alone and doing it themselves. But yeah, the idea that the AFL would dictate to the Murdochs and refuse $2.5b unless their edicts were adhered to is laughable in the extreme
Totally agree. Rupert obviously hasn't got where he is by being told what to do. He will do a deal with the NRL at some stage and will say something similar to what he said at the AFL announcement. NRL games are somewhere around 50 of the top 100 shows on Foxtel each year so he's not going to walk away from that.

I reckon after 2022 they will look at their own setup.

Totally agree. Rupert obviously hasn't got where he is by being told what to do. He will do a deal with the NRL at some stage and will say something similar to what he said at the AFL announcement. NRL games are somewhere around 50 of the top 100 shows on Foxtel each year so he's not going to walk away from that.

I reckon after 2022 they will look at their own setup.

AFL or NRL? I can't see either code successfully going completely in on their own to broadcast OTT direct to fans. More likely is a partnership ala ESPN/ SEC Network in the U.S, were the sports league partnered up with an existing network to leverage of their existing infrastructure/knowledge in broadcasting live sport. It is not as simple as the AFL chucking commentators in a box at the ground and broadcasting the signal to us all online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And more years than that. In fact the previous financials told the story for those who could read their meaning. Smoke, mirrors and some magic as well.

Just push a truckload of spent money out into future accounting periods and the great unwashed believe all is well. And even crow in internet forums about how strong the Club is, to have had all these financial hits and come out of it smelling of roses. How amusement.

Was it that

Higher levels of TB4 - that's code for positive tests; any shred of denial they were clinging too disappeared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back