News James Hird hired by the AFL-owned Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

So he wasn't suspended then?

So not up there with all of them then? because if i remember correct Hird was suspended twice.
Is one of those times the time he was fined $20k?

From his own account he did as he was told, against his own better judgement, and regretted it until his dying day no doubt.
Do you mean that he did not tell his players in confidence about his concerns about what they were taking? PS: The point I am making was pretty significant in the WADA decision from memory - ie the characterisation of the players as being innocent and naive pawns within the context of Doc Reid’s medical advice is rather dubious

Do you mean that he did not tell his players in confidence about his concerns about what they were taking? PS: The point I am making was pretty significant in the WADA decision from memory - ie the characterisation of the players as being innocent and naive pawns within the context of Doc Reid’s medical advice is rather dubious
I don't know what he told the players in confidence and wouldn't pretend to. All I could venture there is another opinion. I can't recall what testimony he supplied if any to investigators other than 'you tell them to * off'. What I do know is that the players clearly did whatever they were told to by the club (except Zaka who was scared of needles).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what he told the players in confidence and wouldn't pretend to. All I could venture there is another opinion. I can't recall what testimony he supplied if any to investigators other than 'you tell them to fu** off'. What I do know is that the players clearly did whatever they were told to by the club (except Zaka who was scared of needles).
There is no doubt they did what the club told them to do - but my point is that they likely did same knowingly in breach of the rules.

Last edited:
I believe in rehabilitation, and giving people second chances; so I'm glad that Hird has been given this opportunity, and I wish him well.
I believe in second chances too but he is on his 5th or more to come clean. If he fights it to the death then to the death it is and he shouldn't be in football ever again. He had his choices many times, years ago.

This is a great thread. The foamers are throwing their toys out of the cot and there's nothing they can do about it.

Meanwhile most of us have moved on.

Good luck Hirdy. He's done the time, he's been through hell and it's great he's getting a chance.

I believe in second chances too but he is on his 5th or more to come clean. If he fights it to the death then to the death it is and he shouldn't be in football ever again. He had his choices many times, years ago.
Also as well lets never forget the adage that a Leopard never changes it's spots

That's not a point. That's just your opinion.
Hmm…not sure whether “a point” is strictly either a fact or an opinion in casual parlance. But ok…

But “my point” was one accepted by WADA in their decision after a consideration of the facts. The players received more time due to a finding that their were not innocent duped people. Whilst a breach of the rules is strict liability, the penalty was bigger due to the aggravated circumstances I am talking about. If you want me to direct you to the specific paragraphs of the decision …I can. But I would prefer you just read it…

Second chance doesn’t mean a place back in the AFL system. It just means he can find other ways to make a living and everyone moves on. He led an institutionalised doping system, that carries a lifetime ban in sports than prioritise fairness over image.

I wonder if James Hird has given his old mate, Shane Charters a call yet.

The Giants could use a little of his chemical performance-enhancing potions which Hirdy was so fond of during his playing and coaching days at Essendon

"Dr Ageless" was convicted of importing and trafficking anabolic steroids back in 2015, but his bikie connections would know where to get some.

img_4347-jpg.402406

Remove this Banner Ad

Back