Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters
Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Surely Hird is not a contender. F*** that guy!
yeah!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

i don't mind Hird having another shot at coaching but surely he needs to go back through the assistant coaching route?

not quite sure how he goes from a leadership consultant to a senior coach without at least some time in the box.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Whilst time can heal all wounds, I don't think it'd be appropriate for him to be a senior coach again. Regardless of how much or how little he had to do with the program, it happened. I think it's time he is forgiven, for sure, but forgiveness doesn't mean he should be able to be a senior coach again.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Was Goodwin head coach of the Bombers was he? That's news to me..

Assistant coach. Coaching staff. A leader at the club. A bloke that loves the "good stuff". A bloke who knows intimately the benefits the "good stuff" brings.

As I said, if Hird can go fck himself then Goodwin can join the same queue.

not sure where the meltdowns will be most severe - general AFL fans or the stand by Hird-ites.

imagine he wins a flag with them....

It'd be the perfect media storm.

Hird as senior coach, with Sheedy right there next to him on the dias, leading the Giants to the promised land and redemption...

AFL 2022: AFL won’t stand in the way of James Hird’s return to senior coaching​

The hunt for a new GWS coach has begun and with James Hird likely to be on the shortlist, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has declared the league has no issues with his potential return to senior coaching.

The Herald Sun reported on Friday the Giants and many industry figures believe McLachlan will get coaching legend Clarkson to Gold Coast as his parting gift to the battling expansion club.

McLachlan told 3AW on Friday despite being banned for his role in Essendon’s peptides saga the league had no issue with Hird coaching the club.

Hird is believed to be open to expanding his involvement with the Giants to help good mate and caretaker Mark McVeigh, who brought him in to run the club’s leadership program.

But McLachlan said if Hird wanted to coach the club the AFL had no problems with his involvement.

#givehirdachance
#thehirdherd

There would be plenty of available potential senior coaches who are far more qualified than Hird. Been out of the game too long, didn't do a lot as a senior coach in his short time as coach. Drug saga or not he's not a top candidate.
NO other candidate would provide the lulz and content that Hird would.

Think of the potential!

Back