Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying that Hird should never be allowed to be in a paid position within the AFL again is not unreasonable though.

What if he wants to coach junior or local footy though, even at VFL level? I personally don't think he should be blacklisted for life if that is the case (which probably seems the case)

I would have thought the difference between being paid for your work and not paid is pretty obvious.
So? Yes or no?

Hird gets $400 a game to coach a bush league team. Not acceptable?

I think he should be allowed to coach again, even at AFL level. Many elite sports are rife with PED abuse (often much worse stuff than peptides). They got busted, done some time, and I certainly don't think he'd do it again.

Redemption is a pretty key concept for me.

I think I already answered. It isn't acceptable.

Where do you draw the line though with your stance ? Is Jimmy banned from earning crust from any other profession associated with the AFL like media work (radio or print or even online blogs etc)

I think he won't be offered one at AFL level first.
If he coached well at VFL level he might be a chance of getting an AFL job.
I don't know exactly how the blame for the drugs saga should be shared between hird/ Robinson/dank/Evans, but I think Hird could have actually got off relatively freely by saying that Dank lied and assured him they weren't crossing a line that they clearly did. I am not saying I wish that was the outcome, it just seemed strange to me essendon didn't do a better job of laying blame on Dank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he won't be offered one at AFL level first.
If he coached well at VFL level he might be a chance of getting an AFL job.
I don't know exactly how the blame for the drugs saga should be shared between hird/ Robinson/dank/Evans, but I think Hird could have actually got off relatively freely by saying that Dank lied and assured him they weren't crossing a line that they clearly did. I am not saying I wish that was the outcome, it just seemed strange to me essendon didn't do a better job of laying blame on Dank.
Early on they said Dank went rogue, Dank said he did what he was told to do and had proof, Essendon never said another bad word about him.

84% No ? - it's ridiculous. He's had both footy + life experience that you just can't buy.

Like your current guy is shooting the lights out.

But clubs are about people, if the supporters don't want James, then that's their choice

There were positive tests at Cronulla weren't there?

I dont think so. ASADA offered basically the same deal as was offered to the Essendon players. The NRL put pressure on Cronulla to accept the bans and move on.

The background for both clubs were very similar. Dank never kept his own records, claimed the clubs kept all the records, said he never did anything wrong - though in the Cronulla case he actually admitted to which drugs were being injected.

He simply cannot be a head coach again. Period. That entire saga was the most humiliating and code damaging period from any club in Australian footy history. The way it dragged on and dominated headlines for all the wrong reasons was horrible for his club and the AFL in general, and an indictment for the sport's global image. And Hird was arguably at the head of it all, or if not he was a huge driving force and key player.

There is a very outside chance he might become an assistant at a club, as that would minimise the spotlight, and he wouldn't be "in charge" of anything. However whether he has the emotional desire to get back into the space is another question.

I know it’s common to get very sanctimonious on this topic but without engaging in hyperbole there are two simple reasons why he probably won’t:

1) His first stint as coach wasn’t that impressive
2) His complete lack of contrition over the whole situation was unedifying and has probably damaged his reputation more than supplements saga itself.

Then again, if Wayne Carey can come back after all of the sh*t he’s done by only giving half apologies and excuses, there’s hope for old Jim-Bob yet. Never underestimate the unlimited free passes doled out in the AFL industry.
By not going quietly and continually fighting the AFL, Hird burnt his bridges with those who give out the free passes

Back