Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
It might be worth remembering that, at first instance, an independent tribunal, applying the relevant standard of proof to the same facts in the same jurisdiction as the events you're referring to, found allegations unproven. Sure, a Swedish sports tribunal later reached a different conclusion. But the divergent decisions suggest the question of wrongdoing wasn't as straightforward as is often made out to justify the vitriol that’s followed.
The AFL tribunal you mean?

How did they fair at the health and safety trial?

So? Yes or no?

Hird gets $400 a game to coach a bush league team. Not acceptable?

He would need to acquire working with children certification if there were under age players in the 'bush league team'. Not because of sexual impropriety but because of personal drug use, endorsed distribution of drugs to his team and history of instability.

I am not saying he would not get the ticket but it may be not easy and should not be assumed.

I hope he stays away from sports beyond golf, Royal Tennis and Polo. He had a wonderful playing career which I was lucky enough to watch. I doubt he has any interest in returning to footy in any capacity. This is a good thing for his Club and probably himself.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t know TBH. But I suspect they got whatever was warranted.
They were convicted.

Could you tell us any other clubs convicted for risking the health and safety of players using experimental drugs, if not could you explain what point you are making, because I think we are talking about other clubs doing "similar" to Essendon.

He would need to acquire working with children certification if there were under age players in the 'bush league team'. Not because of sexual impropriety but because of personal drug use, endorsed distribution of drugs to his team and history of instability.

I am not saying he would not get the ticket but it may be not easy and should not be assumed.

I hope he stays away from sports beyond golf, Royal Tennis and Polo. He had a wonderful playing career which I was lucky enough to watch. I doubt he has any interest in returning to footy in any capacity. This is a good thing for his Club and probably himself.
But he's already coaching children according to other posters.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was a proper and independent tribunal, which IIRC comprised 2 former county court judges and a barrister.
I'm pretty sure the AFL appointed the same judge that they used to get Barry Hall available for the Grand Final. AFL friendly judged used to get AFL team off, hardly independent.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
They were convicted.

Could you tell us any other clubs convicted for risking the health and safety of players using experimental drugs, if not could you explain what point you are making, because I think we are talking about other clubs doing "similar" to Essendon.
The thread is primarily concerned with JH, specifically whether he should be given a chance to return to coaching and the game generally. Suggestion that he be prevented from earning a paid living from football is nasty and absurd. Suggestion that the Aussie based tribunal, which awarded against ASADA at first instance, wasn’t impartial and independent is absurd. The divergent decisions suggest the the question around wrongdoing may not have been as straightforward as some suggest. Work safe does a wonderful job; Essendon will likely have learnt from that experience.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
The thread is primarily concerned with JH, specifically whether he should be given a chance to return to coaching and the game generally. Suggestion that he be prevented from earning a paid living from football is nasty and absurd. Suggestion that the Aussie based tribunal, which awarded against ASADA at first instance, wasn’t impartial and independent is absurd. The divergent decisions suggest the the question around wrongdoing may not have been as straightforward as some suggest. Work safe does a wonderful job; Essendon will likely have learnt from that experience. Are my points clear now?
I didn't say the tribunal wasn't impartial did I?

I wasn't even talking about PEDS specifically, I was talking about mixing experimental drugs and treating players like guinea pigs, something the club was convicted for by the health and safety commission.
So if you want to talk about whether they were guilty or not for taking PEDS, go quote someone who cares.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I didn't say the tribunal wasn't impartial did I?

I wasn't even talking about PEDS specifically, I was talking about mixing exerimental drugs and treating players like guinea pigs, something the club was convicted for by the health and safety commission.
So if you want to talk about whether they were guilty or not for taking PEDS, go quote someone who cares.
:rolleyes:

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
As you seem to love talking for others, tell me what roll eyes means in the context of our convo?

I really can't work it out, did I say something wrong?

It reminds me of that gif when Dale Thomas comes running at Scott Pendlebury, you know, here's Daisy to save the day, and Pendles just flicks him on his arse.

You seemed to think it was an embarrassed emoji, so I gave you to emoji code to clarify what it was.

You'll have to ask Opine what he thinks instead of pre-supposing that he's embarrassed.

Back