Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe the bloke who oversaw Chernobyl should of been given a senior role at another site because he would of learnt from the first experience.
There is merit in that argument

That said, if you're gonna punt on a guy whose first gig was a failure, Voss is surely your man.
Seems ready to take the helm again. And you can't see him doing anything too nuts to fast track a flag, or losing players to homesickness.

Should be coaching Essendon, It's no different than Worsfold.
We stick up with crap from opposition supporters anyway, what's a bit more.

Surely the club admin can't be that stupid to even consider it.

Surely.

I seriously reckon that one day, he will be coach of the Essendon Football Club again. Time heals old wounds. Succeeding Worsfold 'might' still be too soon, but I think he will either be the next or following coach of the club again. He will have learnt from his experience, want to rectify the wrongs of the past, and he will lead the club to the promised land.

I'm not joking

Surely James Hird is the best option for Carlton. Champion player, coached Essendon to an average of 12 wins 2011-2013, hungry to get back in the game, Carlton should sign him before another club snaps him up. Could be just the injection that the Blues need.

Surely James Hird is the best option for Carlton. Champion player, coached Essendon to an average of 12 wins 2011-2013, hungry to get back in the game, Carlton should sign him before another club snaps him up. Could be just the injection that the Blues need.

How about no

Knights must be scratching his head. Has been involved in a successful Geelong outfit pretty much from the time Hird got him knifed, yet we don’t see any media types coming out in support of him getting a second crack at a senior coaching gig.

isn't that how coaching works in the AFL? with only 18 gigs, it's difficult to get another shot if the first was less than stellar.

in soccer (world's your oyster) and even rugby (japan & france) and rugby league (UK), you can go elsewhere and prove yourself before coming back for another chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really get the premise of this thread. I'm happy for Hird to have a second chance at coaching but he'd obviously have to do an apprenticeship as an assistant coach first.

They are sharpening the knives down at Tullamarine as we speak.
Bombers miss finals and Worsfold is goneski.
The situation has a Knighta feel to it.
Expect an article from Robbo in the Herald Sun this week pushing the case for Hird to coach Essendon in 2020.

Expect an article from Robbo in the Herald Sun this week pushing the case for Hird to coach Essendon in 2020.

If they knife Worsfold it will be for Caracella.

Why stop at Hird? Bomber got off, so we know he's free. Goodwin probably wont last another seasons like this at Melbourne, so we could have the whole band back together.

Dank though, may be harder to get hold of, rumour has it he screens his calls these days.

Think theyll knife Worsfold because they are deluded about their list.

But they wont put Hird back in. The AFL wont allow that to happen.

Knights must be scratching his head. Has been involved in a successful Geelong outfit pretty much from the time Hird got him knifed, yet we don’t see any media types coming out in support of him getting a second crack at a senior coaching gig.

Maybe he doesn't want it? Who could blame him after his previous experience?

I know I'd take (at a guess) a quarter of the salary and a hundredth of the pressure and scrutiny as an assistant coach every day of the week.

Maybe he doesn't want it? Who could blame him after his previous experience?

I know I'd take (at a guess) a quarter of the salary and a hundredth of the pressure and scrutiny as an assistant coach every day of the week.

I'd love Knighta back at Tigerland.
One of my favourite Tigers.

Back