Play Nice James Hird rushed to hospital - suspected overdose

Remove this Banner Ad

I will never agree that they are cheats. Cheating requires intent
Sadly, cheating can also leverage selective indifference.

I'll happily accept that not all of the players intended to cheat, but some had to be across the program, to quell the curious and keep the others in line - at least those that weren't needle-phobic.

With some hindsight of how it has all panned out thus far, I would have preferred that the CAS appeal had also had the players change their angle of defence, to individual rather than sticking to the collective front.

I think we would now have a better idea of who was a part of the inner circle within the player group - and from there, the tendrils outward to most of those responsible within the club management. No I am not hanging it on Hird (not directed at you andrewb), he was poorly prepared, poorly eqipped and poorly supported for what then happened under his coaching reign.

Who knows, some of those tendrils, if pulled hard enough, might unravel part of the monumental, AFL carpet.

I think history will show this bloke was very unfairly maligned and as per usual the keyboard cowards will just melt away.

Maybe in an parallel universe but not this one.

It was a devastating mistake to bring in Dank and Robinson and for sure some of blame should lie squarely at the feet of Thompson and the those two charlatans, ultimately though it was Hird - Essendon's no.1 son - that ruled the roost.

It is widely acknowledged that guilt is one of the heaviest burdens to bear as it weighs upon the mind and crushes the soul, killing the spirit slowly and painfully.

Can only hope that James can now find a bit of peace and make a full recovery.

Sheeds on SEN this week pointed a finger at the once upon a time pathway of inexperienced and untrained people being able to coach at AFL level, unprepared. A mate of mine who has endured his own personal calamity tells me of his own inability to ask for help due to a malignant machismo and ego that firewalled that option until it was nearly too late. The same malignancy that was once beneficent and helped him rise in his worldly pursuits brought him low when he needed help. I know myself the in-daylight hidden demons of guilt or regret or self-flagellation that suddenly emerge at night and keep one awake and drive one to madness that one may not be able to share can force ones hand into self destructive behaviour. And the other countless mental contraptions that force our logic into ugly contortions. Not to mention the public nature of these past actions whatever they were that magnify the effects. Noone is immune. And here we are looking for the weakest simplest most self-gratifying "reasons" for what happened, to explain the fall, when the web of reasons are beyond us and their complexity likely inexplicable but we still find poor explanations and argue them.

Seems strange. When I had my 'meltdown' the hospital paid for me to be taken by taxi to a short term intervention facility. They didn't want me driving.

Serious question... Did anybody describe that facility as rehab Centre?

I can understand it being an intervention facility where you are treated to prevent further episodes that lead to a meltdown but a rehab Centre would focus on different techniques in my opinion.

So typical of people in denial about there part in a vicious bullying campaign over 5 years, Patrick Smiths article confirmed the never ending cycle of it.

“the boffins were putting Hird back together; that he self-medicated with poor advice in February 2013; that he overdosed on hubris almost weekly; that he plotted this tragic course; and that Hird, sadly, drove himself to the intensive care unit”?

Seriously what a smartarse article when a bloke is down and out for the count, and now on this board posters saying ......

Whatever happened to Hird we are not responsible for

He did it to himself

It is just Guilt driving him - not us.

It wasn't the orchestrated campaign the media ran with to assassinate his character or whatever the media said we would compound it and magnify it 1000 times on this board day in day out, it was his guilt, just his guilt.

Why would faceless nameless people on the internet who i don't know and will probably never meet even bother attempting to shift the blame from themselves i don't know ... unless of course!.

Actually, he hurt the brand of football, and he put young players health at risk. I'm not so self-centred that I only focus on what happens at Adelaide.

Brilliant response.

I think this is what drives most people on the subject. He was a part of a program that put the health and lives of young footballers at risk. They trusted him and the staff around him to do the right thing by them and he didn't. And apart from putting his hand up for 5 seconds and taking responsibility he has disgracefully distanced himself from responsibility and apologies for year upon year. Sure he has belatedly apologised and taken responsibility, but he has shirked the hard ball since this begun to protect himself and his own brand.

I think this is a good point and one literally hundreds of posters like jen jen have made, the resentment has been moulded by a willing media and perpetuated by a mob lust for Hird to pay.

I have not seen so much hate thrown at one man for what appears to be not much at all in the scheme of things - it is quite mind boggling how the media can manipulate weak minds.

I think history will show this bloke was very unfairly maligned and as per usual the keyboard cowards will just melt away.
To be fair, the same bloke made an entire life from 'not much at all in the scheme of things'.

You can't have it both ways.

Without people being weirdly obsessed with AFL footy and everything that comes with it, Hird wouldn't have had anything to lose in the first place.

Nah, Bruce Francis is far more intelligent.

I have no doubt he is, far more single minded and uncompromising than me as well, without doubt.

Also, i was a an all rounder, who wants to face the new ball, but without doubt i was a much better footballer, i don't think he played.

But he sure has rustled your jimmies ?, if of course you have any ?.

Yep, everytime I timidly remove the ignore filter, I also see "a a absolutely huge pile of nothing".

Muggs has the right of it.

Damn you :p

Had to remove the ignore filter to see what you were replying to and saw "a absolutely huge pile of nothing" by a someone whose sole contribution to discussion seems to be trolling, hence why the ignore filter is on in the first place...

Damn you :p

Had to remove the ignore filter to see what you were replying to and saw "a absolutely huge pile of nothing" by a someone whose sole contribution to discussion seems to be trolling, hence why the ignore filter is on in the first place...
I'm not even going to bother. The ignore filter has been used for a reason!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Bruce Francis is far more intelligent.
Both swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

MjAxMy1hOTI1ZGM1MTIxNDJiMzM1.png

Is that where after the meeting Dank became responsible for designing and implementing the supplements program. thus allowing Hirdy to coach the football team, comfortable that the program was in good hands- Robinson's hands? And Robinson was in good hands- Hamiltons' hands?

Let's not re-write history with Essendon bullshit. Hird was into it up to his neck.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-...ntral-to-essendon-supplements-program/4854868

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-in-essendon-drugs-crisis-20130411-2hoou.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nts-dangers-texts-suggest-20130821-2sasg.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-essendons-drug-scandal-20130821-2savu.html

Possibly at first, but they lost the right to plead lack of intent when not one mentioned any of the program to ASADA.

They mention everything from aspirin to pretty much what brand sunscreen, but ALL of them forgot to mention a 6 week injection program...
Indeed.

The players were complicit

Sheeds on SEN this week pointed a finger at the once upon a time pathway of inexperienced and untrained people being able to coach at AFL level, unprepared. A mate of mine who has endured his own personal calamity tells me of his own inability to ask for help due to a malignant machismo and ego that firewalled that option until it was nearly too late. The same malignancy that was once beneficent and helped him rise in his worldly pursuits brought him low when he needed help. I know myself the in-daylight hidden demons of guilt or regret or self-flagellation that suddenly emerge at night and keep one awake and drive one to madness that one may not be able to share can force ones hand into self destructive behaviour. And the other countless mental contraptions that force our logic into ugly contortions. Not to mention the public nature of these past actions whatever they were that magnify the effects. Noone is immune. And here we are looking for the weakest simplest most self-gratifying "reasons" for what happened, to explain the fall, when the web of reasons are beyond us and their complexity likely inexplicable but we still find poor explanations and argue them.
"The guilty get no sleep in the last slow hours of morning. Experience is cheap. I should have listened to the warning"

Alan Hird has written a opinion piece in the Australian today in reposnse to Patrick Smith

Basically calling for a senate enquiry, based on, the tip of by vlad, how ASADA stepped around the ASADA act working in conjunction with the AFL, political interference, clothier remembering stuff two years later, and CAS not using Australian legal principles...

And the truth can be found in Chips book.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/722b0db398c399c6fc82b7dac1ff7cff

Alan Hird has written a opinion piece in the Australian today in reposnse to Patrick Smith

Basically calling for a senate enquiry, based on, the tip of by vlad, how ASADA stepped around the ASADA act working in conjunction with the AFL, political interference, clothier remembering stuff two years later, and CAS not using Australian legal principles...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/722b0db398c399c6fc82b7dac1ff7cff
So, pretty much Bruce Francis' theories?

Glad its paywalled

Alan Hird lifitng his work rate

Patrick's article was so spot on. I won't even bother with Alan Hird's. We know what his son's role was and no amount of spin from his old man will change that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back