Rumour James Hird to be appointed head coach if GWS struggles this season

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hasn't been in the system for years, 100% not going to happen unless gws are totally incompetent

They’ve kept Leon Cameron in a job for 9yrs despite them having a list that should’ve won multiple flags.

So yes they are totally incompetent. So yes Hird will be the coach.

Cameron or Hird as coach is a win for the rest of the comp

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The Giants face the in-form Saints on Friday night in a home (Canberra) match and one would have to think a 1-5 start to a season would just about spell the end GWS's 2022 season and perhaps Leon Cameron's tenure as senior coach as well. If Toby Greene's return doesn't kick them into gear and the losing continues then I really think Leon Cameron is going to have a hard time keeping his job.

There would almost be something poetic about James Hird taking over the team that identifies his hometown as their home away from home. Hird was born and raised in Canberra and him taking over the Giants would feel like a homecoming in some ways and he'll get the opportunity to coach some of the best talent from his hometown like Tom Green.

So this Friday night, in Canberra, could be a homecoming in more ways than one for James Hird!

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

The Giants face the in-form Saints on Friday night in a home (Canberra) match and one would have to think a 1-5 start to a season would just about spell the end GWS's 2022 season and perhaps Leon Cameron's tenure as senior coach as well. If Toby Greene's return doesn't kick them into gear and the losing continues then I really think Leon Cameron is going to have a hard time keeping his job.

There would almost be something poetic about James Hird taking over the team that identifies his hometown as their home away from home. Hird was born and raised in Canberra and him taking over the Giants would feel like a homecoming in some ways and he'll get the opportunity to coach some of the best talent from his hometown like Tom Green.

So this Friday night, in Canberra, could be a homecoming in more ways than one for James Hird!

Yeah, nah.

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
People still dunking on Hird for TB4 are painfully ignorant to the drug use in top level sports worldwide. What makes you think that the AFL is exempt from the use of PED's?

There are tons of PED's that can be posted to you from Australian based labs that remain largely undetectable. Many drugs do not have well established metabolites for accurate testing, and designer drugs are being synthesized all over the world to skirt known detection methods. There are also PED's that are known to authorities that simply do not have a detection method due to their downstream up-regulatory effects. This means that they'll never have a detection method.

My point is, there are definitely players using PED's in some context - we have seen recent examples of players who were caught, as well as the systematic cover-up of 'Guttergate' where the AFL suppressed the names of the clubs and players involved in the program.

James Hird is a great bloke and a fierce competitor. TB4 or one of it's counterparts such as TB500 will one day be used in an injury prevention context by athletes.

Don't @ me, I won't respond - the James Hird drug cheat narrative is old, boring and if used in a joking context - stale, pub banter at best.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why would you take Hird when Clarko is unattached?
Hird is already in the Giants system so it would make a lot of sense to appoint him as the caretaker, if nothing else. The success Voss is currently having at Carlton probably furthers Hird's case too. Also, it's entirely possible Clarko is currently reserved for the Suns.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Hird is already in the Giants system so it would make a lot of sense to appoint him as the caretaker, if nothing else. The success Voss is currently having at Carlton probably furthers Hird's case too. Also, it's entirely possible Clarko is currently reserved for the Suns.
You mean Voss who spent years and years as a assistant coach to gain more experience in the coaching game compared to Hird who has done basically no coaching since he got the arse from Essendon?

Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
People still dunking on Hird for TB4 are painfully ignorant to the drug use in top level sports worldwide. What makes you think that the AFL is exempt from the use of PED's?

There are tons of PED's that can be posted to you from Australian based labs that remain largely undetectable. Many drugs do not have well established metabolites for accurate testing, and designer drugs are being synthesized all over the world to skirt known detection methods. There are also PED's that are known to authorities that simply do not have a detection method due to their downstream up-regulatory effects. This means that they'll never have a detection method.

My point is, there are definitely players using PED's in some context - we have seen recent examples of players who were caught, as well as the systematic cover-up of 'Guttergate' where the AFL suppressed the names of the clubs and players involved in the program.

James Hird is a great bloke and a fierce competitor. TB4 or one of it's counterparts such as TB500 will one day be used in an injury prevention context by athletes.

Don't @ me, I won't respond - the James Hird drug cheat narrative is old, boring and if used in a joking context - stale, pub banter at best.
Imagine Caro if Hird resumes coaching......she will go full mental....

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

The old “everyone’s doing it so it’s ok rebuttal”. My favourite.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You mean Voss who spent years and years as a assistant coach to gain more experience in the coaching game compared to Hird who has done basically no coaching since he got the arse from Essendon?

He did no coaching before Essendon too. And given he had no idea what was happening at the time you can assume no coaching during either.

I have no idea why any club would let him anywhere near them.

Back