Rumour James Hird to be appointed head coach if GWS struggles this season

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
Surprising that Robbo, the great investigative journo that he is, never got to the bottom of it.

Thats like asking a balloon full of hot air to get to the bottom of a volcano! 😆

(And yes, I know you were being facetious. 😉)

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Seems like an awful idea to me. I know he had his struggles at Adelaide but Don Pyke is a million times the better coaching prospect than Hird is, someone who has proven to put himself before his players.

Don Pyke is needed where he is now

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bit of both - personally I think the AFL and vlad tried their absolute hardest to cover it up
I'm pretty sure this is not even in dispute. The AFL were up to their eyeballs in it.

The timeline is:
  • AFL got a tip-off that one of the clubs was about to be raided
  • AFL phoned Essendon to let them know (indicating that AFL already knew and were turning a blind eye
  • Essendon destroys evidence
  • Essendon raided, no records found
  • AFL find them not guilty
  • Appeal to an independent body finds them guilty
  • AFL allows illegal payments to Essendon players as compensation

Both the AFL and Essendon, including most of their players are guilty of systematic cheating and corruption, which nobody has really been held to account for. How Hird is now allowed to coach, the players only got one year while being paid, and someone like Bruce Reid was still allowed to practice is absolutely beyond me.

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
7AFL:

BREAKING: Leon Cameron will resign after one more game as coach of the GWS Giants.

Mark McVeigh will replace him as interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
7AFL:

BREAKING: Leon Cameron will resign after one more game as coach of the GWS Giants.

Mark McVeigh will replace him as interim coach for the remainder of the season.
McVeigh is Hird's sock puppet !
Sock-puppet.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Any reason why Hird wouldn't work out at GWS if they appointed him ? (Reckon he is their fall back option if they miss out on Clarko)

From what I recall, he got Essendon playing a lot more attacking and entertaining style of footy than what Woosha did or Rutten has so far.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Any reason why Hird wouldn't work out at GWS if they appointed him ? (Reckon he is their fall back option if they miss out on Clarko)

From what I recall, he got Essendon playing a lot more attacking and entertaining style of footy than what Woosha did or Rutten has so far.
So apart from the "vitamins" scandal. Our old mate Jimmy had no real coaching experience apart from his kids Auskick team before he took on the job at Essendon.

So when he was moved on from the Bombers you would think he would take on a assistant role at another club or even a local club to get some more experience.

He hasn't done the hard yards to get another top gig and he got burnt last time he tried to cut corners.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills

Essendon's most successful season during this finals victory drought was in 2014. Coincidentally the year that had nothing to do with Hird. After Bomber was white anted and left, they became a rabble under Hird.

He couldn't coach then and it seems he's done nothing to improve himself in that regard since.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon's most successful season during this finals victory drought was in 2014. Coincidentally the year that had nothing to do with Hird. After Bomber was white anted and left, they became a rabble under Hird.

He couldn't coach then and it seems he's done nothing to improve himself in that regard since.

Our best season was 2013. We were 2nd on the ladder with a percentage of 131 and a record of 13-3 heading into round 18 before we were told we weren't playing finals that year.

Our defence was solid in 2014, but we weren't that great. If you're looking at our competitive EF vs North, they were far worse in quality than the other teams we lost to (Syd 2017 (reigning grand finalists), WCE 2019 (reigning premiers) and WB 2021 (grand finalists)). Even Carlton in 2011 had more talent.

We played our best footy under Hird. He was also our best match-day coach (which is an underrated aspect of his coaching). He made the necessary changes to get us back into the game.

He definitely can coach, but I do believe he needs to be an assistant coach to learn from others before becoming a head coach again. Similar to what Voss did.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Our best season was 2013. We were 2nd on the ladder with a percentage of 131 and a record of 13-3 heading into round 18 before we were told we weren't playing finals that year.

Our defence was solid in 2014, but we weren't that great. If you're looking at our competitive EF vs North, they were far worse in quality than the other teams we lost to (Syd 2017 (reigning grand finalists), WCE 2019 (reigning premiers) and WB 2021 (grand finalists)). Even Carlton in 2011 had more talent.

We played our best footy under Hird. He was also our best match-day coach (which is an underrated aspect of his coaching). He made the necessary changes to get us back into the game.

He definitely can coach, but I do believe he needs to be an assistant coach to learn from others before becoming a head coach again. Similar to what Voss did.
I tend to disregard any results for Essendon in 2012/13.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I'm pretty sure this is not even in dispute. The AFL were up to their eyeballs in it.

The timeline is:
  • AFL got a tip-off that one of the clubs was about to be raided
  • AFL phoned Essendon to let them know (indicating that AFL already knew and were turning a blind eye
  • Essendon destroys evidence
  • Essendon raided, no records found
  • AFL find them not guilty
  • Appeal to an independent body finds them guilty
  • AFL allows illegal payments to Essendon players as compensation

Both the AFL and Essendon, including most of their players are guilty of systematic cheating and corruption, which nobody has really been held to account for. How Hird is now allowed to coach, the players only got one year while being paid, and someone like Bruce Reid was still allowed to practice is absolutely beyond me.
This took you till 2022 to work that out bwahhhh

Back