Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Any reason why Hird wouldn't work out at GWS if they appointed him ? (Reckon he is their fall back option if they miss out on Clarko)

From what I recall, he got Essendon playing a lot more attacking and entertaining style of footy than what Woosha did or Rutten has so far.

70020DC8-A6A2-4F83-91F9-80E3F10F9F1E.jpeg

Any reason why Hird wouldn't work out at GWS if they appointed him ? (Reckon he is their fall back option if they miss out on Clarko)

From what I recall, he got Essendon playing a lot more attacking and entertaining style of footy than what Woosha did or Rutten has so far.
His last tenure was a disaster and he's done next to nothing since to prove he now has the capability. He let down the young men he was given charge of even threatening their very health and safety.

Voss and Ratten took the better part of a decade to get a second chance after spending years plying their craft as assistant coaches after their first gig, and Ratten was notably more successful in his first tenure than Essendon under Hird.

I think there is a long line of prospective coaches who would be more qualified to get a top job than Hird right now.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
There also needs to be some consideration for Hird’s welfare too, an AFL coach is under constant scrutiny and media attention and Hird due to his history would be under extreme scrutiny and some (very justifiable) backlash.

Whether he wants it or not, GWS would have a duty of care and it would be a consideration given his well publicised history.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
There also needs to be some consideration for Hird’s welfare too, an AFL coach is under constant scrutiny and media attention and Hird due to his history would be under extreme scrutiny and some (very justifiable) backlash.

Whether he wants it or not, GWS would have a duty of care and it would be a consideration given his well publicised history.
Also GWS with Hirds past history
Any sudden upturn in form would surely have the testers in town

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
His last tenure was a disaster and he's done next to nothing since to prove he now has the capability. He let down the young men he was given charge of even threatening their very health and safety.

Voss and Ratten took the better part of a decade to get a second chance after spending years plying their craft as assistant coaches after their first gig, and Ratten was notably more successful in his first tenure than Essendon under Hird.

I think there is a long line of prospective coaches who would be more qualified to get a top job than Hird right now.
Yep, aside from presiding over the worst scandal in his team's history, Hird did nothing noteworthy as a coach. Add to that the fact that he hasn't appreciably added to his resume since being ousted, and you have a coach with zero credentials to coach in the short-mid term, if ever again. And the optics... Oh boy, the optics are disastrous. Sorry Hirdy.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone who thinks an AFL club would even consider offering Hird the role of Head Coach is as delusional as Hird himself is. Think about what happened at Essendon and the decade that has followed… absolutely no way Hird gets a gig.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Surely anyone who has been outside the system for 6 years and has only been back in it for under 12 months isn't in serious contention for a head coaching job. Going to take a couple of years yet.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Surely anyone who has been outside the system for 6 years and has only been back in it for under 12 months isn't in serious contention for a head coaching job. Going to take a couple of years yet.
Didn't stop a club appointing him with a season of Auskick as his coaching experience last time.

pride of the West

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Look boys take this to the bank the AFL are grooming Hird to become the next coach of the Giants!

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
While I believe he put his faith in the doctor to do his job correctly. Hird should never have let a regime like that operate under his watch.
He should never be allowed to be the head coach ever again.

so....putting his faith in the doctor he got Corcoran to use his UN skills on when he wanted to shut s**t down?

Kudos for the 2nd part.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
How about responding to my post
I believe Hird didn't want Dank to use anything harmful or illegal.
But the whole program under his watch was a disgrace from his part regardless.

You seem to have followed it more than I did. If you show me otherwise then cool, but I don't really care to get too much into that crud anymore.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I believe Hird didn't want Dank to use anything harmful or illegal.
But the whole program under his watch was a disgrace from his part regardless.

You seem to have followed it more than I did. If you show me otherwise then cool, but I don't really care to get too much into that crud anymore.
The scary thing about the whole thing was that AFL would have known what was going on to trip them off the testers were in town, and until this point the AFL were prepared to turn a blinds eye to what was going on at the Bombers

Back