News James Hird to Freo?

Should Freo employ James Hird as an opposition analyst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haggers just said we’re gonna appoint Hird, to take the attention away from all our other internal issues. He says we have heaps, which he can’t legally say?? Wtf

Hardie was agreeing with him.

Wtf is going on with 882

Ok, I’ve just read the rumour about Ross Lyon up for Sexual Assault on the main board!

Is this our internal issue haggers is alluding too?

Jeeeeezuz friggin christ I thought this thread was a joke!! Y'know... like Heppel coming to Freo... or seaside postcards from Kalgoorlie.

Much as I personally respect Hird's footy expertise, I still cannot stand what he did to his own team-mates in the interests of winning. I don't see how this association could possibly benefit the club's brand or reputation, and landing a maiden premiership isn't a good enough excuse. As many, many different clubs have already successfully proven over the last 15 years, you don't need James Hird hanging around your club like a bad smell in order to win a Premiership.

To paraphrase Ender's game: "HOW we win has to matter" ...if the club looses sight of that, then they clearly aren't the principled, accountable, 'no excuses, no short-cuts' organisation I perceived them to be.

From my personal perspective. Freo can have Hird as an employee, or they can have one more FAR less ardent fan in myself and put up with receiving precisely NONE of my hard-earned while he's an employee there - they can't have both.

If they absolutely positively HAVE to have the ongoing advice of one of Australia's most infamous drug cheats, they can retain him as an external consultant.

I know that sounds like an arbitrary distinction, but personally it feels right to me: I can live with the idea of Hird consulting to the club on an ongoing basis and contributing to its success that way - but the very thought of someone that morally misguided being made a full-time employee of the club, in the face of everything he's done, utterly turns my stomach.

but the very thought of someone that morally misguided being made a full-time employee of the club, in the face of everything he's done, utterly turns my stomach.[/QUOTE]

Gko71 no doubt you represent what most wrestle with in coming to terms with who is suitable and who is not, to be able to continue in a particular employment given past serious errors of judgment in that same employment.

"Culpability" (re someone that morally misguided) is a very interesting and complex topic and especially where secular philosophy and Christian moral philosophy don't always line up together.

The bottom line is I suggest is that in most professions if you illustrate by thought and action you cannot be trusted with others peoples well-being/health and or property, irrespective of one's capacity to understand what they are doing and the wilfulness of their actons, then you are not fit to hold office (police, doctors, bankers, religious ministers, politicians, teachers, coaches etc).

The decision really is on the judgment concerning his action made by the AFL - if they say he is okay to coach etc, then he is I would think.

The decision really is on the judgment concerning his action made by the AFL - if they say he is okay to coach etc, then he is I would think.

Letting the AFL be moral arbiters is leting the fox in to the chicken coop. They have blatantly engineered outcomes over justice, such as Barry Hall and others along the way, not getting suspensions so they can play finals and get more bums on seats/eyes on tv for the Dollars.

The AFL tipped off Essendon ahead of the whole scandal. It's not just a low level "whatever" (depending on the side of the fence you sit) of WADA, it was also part of an investigation by national law enforcement agencies who were chasing drug trafficking.

The AFL can and do say what they want in regards to Hirds (moral) fitness to resume at the AFL, but I'd like for our club to hold to a higher standard than the low level that the AFL has shown.

It is my uneducated opinion that the AFL assured Essendon that they would have the matter swept away quickly and quietly, but ASADA didn't play ball and the AFL lost control, which required it to go into public relations damage control and throw the bombers and the staff under the bus.

The cynic in me believes there are more than a few circumstances where players have been quietly dealt with over banned substances before, with the AFL reserving the right to hold it's own anti-doping panel, which in the Essendon case was denied.

It is my uneducated opinion that the AFL assured Essendon that they would have the matter swept away quickly and quietly, but ASADA didn't play ball and the AFL lost control, which required it to go into public relations damage control and throw the bombers and the staff under the bus.
ASADA was willing, as demonstrated by their actions with Cronulla who shortly thereafter went on to win their maiden premiership.

It was the bellicosity of Paul Little that eventually sidelined ASADA and allow WADA to assume control of proceedings.

ASADA was willing, as demonstrated by their actions with Cronulla who shortly thereafter went on to win their maiden premiership.

It was the bellicosity of Paul Little that eventually sidelined ASADA and allow WADA to assume control of proceedings.
'bellicosity'. I learnt something.

Gko71 no doubt you represent what most wrestle with in coming to terms with who is suitable and who is not, to be able to continue in a particular employment given past serious errors of judgment in that same employment.

"Culpability" (re someone that morally misguided) is a very interesting and complex topic and especially where secular philosophy and Christian moral philosophy don't always line up together.

The bottom line is I suggest is that in most professions if you illustrate by thought and action you cannot be trusted with others peoples well-being/health and or property, irrespective of one's capacity to understand what they are doing and the wilfulness of their actons, then you are not fit to hold office (police, doctors, bankers, religious ministers, politicians, teachers, coaches etc).

Whilst I have a long-standing love of philosophical thought, and a penchant for ethics in general, when it comes to James's actions I personally don't find much in his conduct I'm particularly vague about - nor do I regard this as particularly fertile ground for meaningful debate on moral relativism.

To quote an oft-used (and allegedly Japanese) truism:

"How many times is it acceptable for a midwife to drop a newborn baby on its head?

...once?...

...twice?

There are some mistakes you never make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL can and do say what they want in regards to Hirds (moral) fitness to resume at the AFL, but I'd like for our club to hold to a higher standard than the low level that the AFL has shown.

Yes i agree with yours and Gekko71 's view and reasoning. To me, irrespective of the reasopns for his not meeting the standards re "drugs" administered the seriousness of the offence means he is not fit to be trusted to hold the same or similar positions in the future in sport.

Yes i agree with yours and Gekko71 's view and reasoning. To me, irrespective of the reasopns for his not meeting the standards re "drugs" administered the seriousness of the offence means he is not fit to be trusted to hold the same or similar positions in the future in sport.
Yet ... 66% of Freo supporters on this board disagree with you.

It's pointless to keep talking about it, it's all been said before. Time to move on.

No it's not pointless, it's a legitimate discussion point

This bloke let his players get injected with un named substances in an off site facility by an unknown nurse, the club doctor was unaware

He also oversaw blood tests of his players off site, which is a big no no.

He can GTFO of anything to do with our club

Back