Coaching Staff Former Coach James Hird

Do you think Hird should coach Essendon again?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened to one episode (the latest) and it's surprisingly very good. Entertaining, thought-provoking, very impressed - and I was expecting not to be fwiw
I listened to the teaser and the first two episodes last night, not that I was paying a great deal of attention but it does show some promise and *insert something about koolaid here* I still really admire the guy and the way he goes about it.

I listened to the teaser and the first two episodes last night, not that I was paying a great deal of attention but it does show some promise and *insert something about koolaid here* I still really admire the guy and the way he goes about it.
Hird is a smart footy cookie, I don't care what anyone says, and Freo should do anything it takes to get him. Re the podcast he and Crawf (and even Ralphy) gave great chemistry, and that's soooo important for a podcast. He and Crawf work really well together.

It's no Pig, Jimmy and Rooboy, put it that way

Well I listened to the first 3 Eps and am listening to the 4th on the commute this evening.

Its actually really good. They have hit a pretty good balance of angles too. Hearing stories from the old days, insight into their personal lives, James mindset during the dark days, How they faired playing in their final years, their experience into their coaches and then insights into the teams. Crawf speaking about some of the Clarkson stuff is pretty illuminating. Hawks fans may already know it all but as an opposition supporter I find it fascinating.

You would have to think this is pretty much an audition for James to be back into footy media next season in either radio or Fox footy.

Two really good insights were - 1. From James how he actually broke Cyril's collarbone in his final junior year, id never heard that was how it happened.
2. was from Crawf who gave some insight into Ross Lyon's coaching style possibly drawing some inspiration from how they defend in Lacrosse.

It's really good. Not sure how much you could get out of it if you didn't barrack for the Hawks or Dons.. but I loved having Hird in my ears for four hours.

Im a bit of a podcast fanatic.. have around 15 in my regular rotation and have probably tried well over 50...and this is a good one. Great early chemistry between them (although I'm not sold on ralphy the 'nuffie'. That joke got old real quick!)

Wanted to chime in.

All clubs have their idols who fans of other clubs never really fully appreciate or get to understand.

As someone who wasn’t a fan of Hird amid all the stuff he’s gone through over the past few years - I found myself not only impressed by the depth of his footy knowledge (I shouldn’t have been surprised), but also taken back by his good nature and complete honesty when talking about topics.

Dare I say it, over the past four eps I’ve actually grown to like the big fella.

He and Crawf have brilliant chemistry and I think it could be something like this that could be the final PR rehab he may need to fully reintegrate with the mainstream footy public.

Crawford in this podcast reminds me a little of Jim Carrey in The Truman Show- not trying to be always funny, given he is playing a relatively serious role for what he is used to, yet his natural humour shines through a lot anyway!

Really enjoying it so far.

He despises horse racing and anybody who has anything to do with it - he just leeches off the industry for his “income” (of which I doubt there’s much).

Have a quick read of his Twitter.
Looks like a healthy amount of racing discussion... Got a specific example?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've not listened to this so far.

So Bunk Moreland, he was sacked before the Freo game...but then unsacked? What was the supposed timeline there and why the rapid about face?
He didn't go more into it really... Said he got told by a lawyer on the Tuesday I think that he was sacked. Then they won the game. Wasn't mentioned again.

I've not listened to this so far.

So Bunk Moreland, he was sacked before the Freo game...but then unsacked? What was the supposed timeline there and why the rapid about face?

Yeah it weirdly was kind of skipped over, it I guess they’re not focussed on Essendon past politics.

It was kind of like “it was a really tough week, on the Tuesday I was sacked. I got a call from a lawyer to tell me I’d been sacked.”

I’m assuming EFC/AFL/whoever tried to move on Hird early and he lawyered up. From then on it was lawyers at 10 paces.

It gives a further insight into what was going on at the time, and a background to subsequent events.
Evans was still president at that time, and running the club under AFL direction, with Lukin riding shotgun.
Hird began to refuse to toe the line, and the players, to their enormous credit, managed to support him with onfield performances that were magnificent in the circumstances.
Evans resigned, Little took his place, and Lukin was sent back to the AFL.............and we all know what happened next.

Last edited:
For those of you who don't know, Shane Crawford and James Hird have started up a new podcast this season. I've just listened to their latest episode. The episodes are ~1 hour and twice a week I believe.

Crawford is generally known for his antics but this podcast has minimal banter and is full of solid football talk. I was recently searching for a football podcast and this is by far the best I've come across.

Give it a listen if you have spare time. Podcasts in the AFL world are few and far between and I'd love to see this flourish.

https://crawfhirdy.com/

For those of you who don't know, Shane Crawford and James Hird have started up a new podcast this season. I've just listened to their latest episode. The episodes are ~1 hour and twice a week I believe.

Crawford is generally known for his antics but this podcast has minimal banter and is full of solid football talk. I was recently searching for a football podcast and this is by far the best I've come across.

Give it a listen if you have spare time. Podcasts in the AFL world are few and far between and I'd love to see this flourish.

https://crawfhirdy.com/
"They thought they had a footballer but Crawf was naked hanging upside down like a fruit bat" It sure has its moments :D

Back