James Hird's Reception

Remove this Banner Ad

He copped it from some, he also had some very prominent defenders.

And now there's a very strong media effort to rehabilitate him.

Anyway, as I said, he shouldn't cop it for his onfield career, for that he should get standing ovations.

But the reality is that he started a team wide doping program that saw 34 players suspended and that's going to be conflated with his onfield stuff forever.

Same with Carey. People will never separate his onfield brilliance from his offield s**t acts.

There's no media effort to rehabilitate him. You're seeing things and I suspect from the "I won't think what they tell me to think!" crew who are forever jumping at shadows.

imho it was too soon for him to come back, it should have waited another few years until the supplements saga was further behind and wounds further healed. he is an undoubted legend as a player, but he caused a significant amount of hurt with his mismanagement and arrogance as a coach, not just to the game and general fans but especially the bombers players and fans who had to bear the brunt of his mistakes. His arrogance was a major factor in the whole thing drawing out so long and i feel like if he had shown some humility, remorse, taken some responsibility and helped to end it quickly, it would have all been good by now.

There's no media effort to rehabilitate him. You're seeing things and I suspect from the "I won't think what they tell me to think!" crew who are forever jumping at shadows.

Delusional. What did Robbo say a few weeks back 'don't boo Hird'. That is example of media interference to help Hird.

Delusional. What did Robbo say a few weeks back 'don't boo Hird'. That is example of media interference to help Hird.
Robbo is clearly in essendons corner for obvious reasons, I would say the media in general were very quick to stick things to Hird and sink the boot in.
I'm strongly against the grain with this one and was happy to see a fallen legend like hird present the medal. I even clapped him

There was some muted booing. I didn't make much of it. Don't think Hird or the AFL would either.

I was for him being asked to present the medal. Everyone is sick of the asada/supplements saga. It was his turn to present it. Hopefully it's a step for both him and the AFL to move forward from the whole thing.

Also think given his personal issues it was a good thing to ask him to present the medal.

A known friend of Hird who's been his cheerleader all along says "don't boo him", and that's a planned media-wide effort to rehabilitate him? Jesus

What's changed is the media aren't haranguing him like in years past. That's because the story is over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was booing for about 3 seconds. Then everyone kinda stopped caring about it and stopped.
Then he said "Dustin Martin" and we all made lots of noise : - )

He's a self deluding maggot!
And I'd argue being one of the most hated people in the country for years plus a ban from his lifetime passion is at worst a reasonable punishment for his stupidity. He's been made the scapegoat of the whole saga whilst others were more guilty but escaped the blame, specifically good guy Bomber Thompson.

Forgive and forget.

Tex wasn't booed during the presentation was he?
There was a smattering as he was walking up but it cleared pretty quickly. The Hird stuff was definitely louder.

Ummm.
He had his players injected to the eyeballs,
and was banned for being a drug cheat.
It's like 2012-2016 just didn't happen isn't it. I don't mind the Bombers supporters who want to move on - but the ones who are still in denial are....actually they're pretty bloody entertaining ...

Here's the thing.

Every year a person presenting the award who comes from a team who isn't playing on the day, gets booed. Poor Shannon Grant copped a fair bit last year. So Hired got booed and it wasn't surprising that he did.

To his credit though, he ignored it, did his little speech and that was that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back