Movie James Horner, dies 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
"On June 22, 2015, an airplane registered to James Horner crashed in the Los Padres National Forest in southern California.[39] The pilot died in the crash and was the only person aboard."

I'm a huge film composer fan, and he is one of the greats of the modern age.

Notable works
  • Titanic
  • Apollo 13
  • Braveheart
  • Field of Dreams
  • Glory
  • The Perfect Storm
  • Aliens
And much more including Deep Impact, Casper, A Beautiful Mind, Enemy at the Gates, Jumanji, Clear and Present Danger, 48 Hrs., Commando, Cocoon, Avatar, Legends of the Fall, Bicentennial Man -- All told 100 (give or take) film composer credits since 1982. Basically (3) per year average.

10 Academy Award nominations, 2 wins. His best scores elevated the movies beyond the visuals in a kind of timeless way. He left an emotional impact on them that resonated with the audiences.

He sits so near John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith and Lalo Shifrin in the composer Lexicon. And comfortably among or above the likes of Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, Danny Elfman, Thomas Newman, Michael Kamen (who also died before his time)

RIP James.

This is heartbreaking. I can't decide which Horner movie to watch tonight in celebration and remembrance of his legacy.

One of his best pieces.

Also... "You were good" - Field of Dreams - Moonlight Graham piece.

Last edited:
Aliens was probably my favourite all time movie score and Titanic though much maligned was brilliant I thought (the score, not the Celine Dion ballad). RIP James

Psst: He wrote the ballad

The film version of the song is so much more impacting and beautiful. Horner's arrangement 100%. It's basically a demo (her vocal one take) but is so raw and perfect they kept it as was. And she really brought it.

The pop version they did for her album and the music video butchered the spirit of it imo. But Mr. Horner never would have had to work again based on being the writer composer of that piece of music alone.

I agree about being a rare composer to buy their scores! When I think of Scores I would buy, only a couple from Williams come to mind, then Silvestri's Back to the Future, and most of the notables from James Horner.

A favourite piece of his scores
- Titanic (the iceberg scene, such tension)
- Field of Dreams (Ray Kinsella lamenting his father in a brilliant scene with James Earl Jones)
- Glory (Preparations for battle, emotive scene)
- Apollo 13 (Re-entry and Splashdown sequence)
- The Perfect Storm (opening sequence, arrival from sea)
- Casper (One Last Wish, touching piece)
- Braveheart (Secret Wedding)
- Commando (best opening titles music possibly ever!)
- Aliens (Sublevel 3 sequence)
- Jumanji (Alan Parrish theme)

- Deep Impact [Goodbye and Godspeed]

Horner was great, will be missed. Had a tendency to copy himself between movies but what he did was brilliant at times.

Aliens was probably my favourite all time movie score and Titanic though much maligned was brilliant I thought (the score, not the Celine Dion ballad). RIP James

Back when the film was huge, my sister for a while there had the Rose song on loop on her CD player while she tried to sleep. Yes its good but skin crawling after a while... and also trying to sleep. Had to turn it off myself in the middle of the night. If there is such a thing as a biblical hell, I'm waiting for that song to greet me at the gate.

Horner was great, will be missed. Had a tendency to copy himself between movies but what he did was brilliant at times.

Back when the film was huge, my sister for a while there had the Rose song on loop on her CD player while she tried to sleep. Yes its good but skin crawling after a while... and also trying to sleep. Had to turn it off myself in the middle of the night. If there is such a thing as a biblical hell, I'm waiting for that song to greet me at the gate.

That scene with the ol Rose at the end and then the pictures of what she went onto do overlayed with this tune.

Me's a gunna cry now.

This really is a beautiful piece of music. Timeless.

RIP James Horner. Loved his work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back