Free Agency James Jordon [Joins Sydney as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this guy any good?
Can't see why we'd want him

He's got no standout attributes.

He tries hard. Is defensively minded, has poor disposal and has no pace. He is not the type of mid that will bodyline the ball ala Viney or Gus Brayshaw. He is not the type that will join a new club and elevate the midfield to the next level.

If you were rank players at each club on ability, he is the type that will slot in at #23-30 in most sides.

He is a solid citizen. It is hard to think of a current player comparison because he is so dull and unremarkable that you forget that he is on the field at times and no comparable players come to mind! At his best, he is a very good VFL player!

But he is 23 next season and is young enough that clubs might think he has some upside. They might be right. The Dees have not really done him any favours as he seems to be bounced around in different roles, and hasn't really been great at any of them. He might benefit from a club willing to let him play in a consistent role for an extended period.

In my opinion, he is best suited to a side with a young and developing midfield that need a few mature bodies. Realistically, I see him going to whichever club offers the best contract. He seems like a smart lad that has enough awareness to realise that he is a fringe player and should lock in the deal that provides the most financial security.

Last edited:

He tries hard. Is defensively minded, has poor disposal and has no pace. He is not the type of mid that will bodyline the ball ala Viney or Gus Brayshaw. He is not the type that will join a new club and elevate the midfield to the next level.

If you were rank players at each club on ability, he is the type that will slot in at #23-30 in most sides.

He is a solid citizen. It is hard to think of a current player comparison because he is so dull and unremarkable that you forget that he is on the field at times and no comparable players come to mind! At his best, he is a very good VFL player!

But he is 23 next season and is young enough that clubs might think he has some upside. They might be right. The Dees have not really done him any favours as he seems to be bounced around in different roles, and hasn't really been great at any of them. He might benefit from a club willing to let him play in a consistent role for an extended period.

In my opinion, he is best suited to a side with a young and developing midfield that need a few mature bodies. Realistically, I see him going to whichever club offers the best contract. He seems like a smart lad that has enough awareness to realise that he is a fringe player and should lock in the deal that provides the most financial security.
Sounds like the last 2 years of Kamdyn McIntosh.

Upgrade on Dylan Stephens?

Upgrade on Dylan Stephens?

I don't know much about Stephens. I am pretty one-eyed and tend to only watch Dees games so I am oblivious to a lot of other players.

The appeal for Jordon is that a club can poach an AFL-ready player at 23 years old and 65 games experience without expending any draft capital due to his unrestricted free agent status.

On reflection, his best attribute is probably his reliability. He has barely missed a game since debut in 2021. Granted, he has spent a fair few games as an unused sub.

He is not a bad option for clubs looking for that 5th or 6th player to form part of their midfield rotation.

He has scope to improve if a club can have him playing a consistent role. He got bounced around a lot at the Dees which would not have been great for his development.

I don't know much about Stephens. I am pretty one-eyed and tend to only watch Dees games so I am oblivious to a lot of other players.

The appeal for Jordon is that a club can poach an AFL-ready player at 23 years old and 65 games experience without expending any draft capital due to his unrestricted free agent status.

On reflection, his best attribute is probably his reliability. He has barely missed a game since debut in 2021. Granted, he has spent a fair few games as an unused sub.

He is not a bad option for clubs looking for that 5th or 6th player to form part of their midfield rotation.

He has scope to improve if a club can have him playing a consistent role. He got bounced around a lot at the Dees which would not have been great for his development.
Poor skills? Kicking effiency looks fine
On stats alone he is better than Stephens spending less time on the ground.

Blake Acres a good comparison??

I know Acres has had a couple of big moments in the finals, but he's one of the most vanilla players going around. Good at everything without having any stand out qualities.

I mean in playing style
He's 193cm, that's Charlie Curnow's height and he is consistently in the top 5 on the ground for KM's covered as well as high speed KM's. He is an excellent contested mark for a winger and whilst not a flashy player he is an extremely gifted aerobic athlete with height beyond most of his fellow wingers.

Jordon is a good ordinary player. He makes good decisions, has good hands and is a good kick. I think he is being undersold here due to playing poorly in the Carlton final. He was coming fourth in the Melbourne best and fairest last year to round 18. I would have preferred him to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Acres has had a couple of big moments in the finals, but he's one of the most vanilla players going around. Good at everything without having any stand out qualities.

I mean in playing style
He's got incredibly long fingers. Like Kendall Jenner long.

Anyway, Swans must see something they want in Jordan.

He's a bit like Dawson I guess. Will spend time trying to lock down that role for the Swans and improve
Dawson? Which Dawson?

If he’s an upgrade on Clarke he could be OK. Especially if he can handball.

While I’d preferred we had kept Stephens, as there is a good footballer inside there somewhere, we don’t really need to directly replace him. He couldn’t get into the senior side regularly this year because Campbell stepped up and moved mostly to the wing, and because we had McInerney and Gulden also playing some time on a wing. We also have two or three more who were mostly in the VFL last year who, if they become regular seniors, are probably best suited to the wing. Warner, in particular, played plenty of excellent VFL games this year. He just needs to show he can adjust to the faster pace and higher pressure of AFL level football.

So Melbourne fans correct me if I am wrong, and I could be very wrong as I know very little about Jordan but I get the impression he is an inside midfielder who was never able to play on the inside due to Melbourne being stacked with inside mids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back