Universal Love James Kelly 312 games (273 GFC) annouces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he follows the route of Rooke, Corey, Milburn, Enright, Scarlett, Johnson, etc, and becomes an assistant coach

Story on the Cats website quotes him saying that he won't be going to the AFL house job he had taken up after leaving the Cats, becuase he wants to go coaching.

Going to be a lot of very well-credentialed recently retired players looking for similar. Must be a few assistants glad the deadline for notification if not receiving a new contract has passed. ...

The reports from all the young guys in our team have all been how positive an influence Pops has been on them.

Hopefully some of the Geelong magic can rub off on us.

Been a great asset to our team and is going out still playing good footy.

Get him back as a development coach you reckon?

Get him back as a development coach you reckon?
Woosha mentioned that if a role was to be available they would love him to stay.

Just about every kid on our list has mentioned Kelly at some stage in the last two years.

Probably teaching them a few tricks outside the club too:)

Was flicking through one of the books about our premierships the other day when I came across a story of how Kelly moved Selwood's entire locker into the middle of the recovery pool. :D

Ess v Freo will be a **** (bad) game, but I might go and cheer on the old fella in his last game. Servant of the club (and the game). Legend for me, and an absolute underrated player who played his max week in, week out. Anyone keen to get a cats bay going for him?

Robert Walls gave Kelly a tremendous compliment when he was doing the special comments on CH 10 late in the 2009 GF

I will never forget it - " Kelly has been quite outstanding " - when that comes from an ex Premiership player and coach i reckon it means something - like the player has stood up and delivered on the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True underrated player of this club. Tackled like scooter when the premiers strutted the hallowed turf.
Hope he comes back and works with our mid or defense team. Missed his sillyness

No doubt he's a club champion. Sad he is not retiring at Geelong but he deserves all the accolades. Corey, Wojo and Kelly were the unsung heroes in our premiership era.

I dont think our coaching dept looks worse with Scarlo, Boris and Kel in it.

And you add Smithy.. that's some ability there..

But I dream and digress -

Congrats Pops...
GO Catters

Onya Pops for a fantastic career! I'm still struggling to remember a previous player who has been chaired off by the captains of two different clubs like Kelly had in his 300th game. Unprecedented?
I don't recall it ever happening before. Wasn't it a great sight?

I'll also say, obviously Pops' Geelong career speaks for itself and I'm far from qualified to speak about his days in the hoops, but I can confidently say I can never recall an 'import' at Essendon who has had such universal admiration after only two seasons at the club as Pops has...he has been super in every respect for us and the fans and quite clearly the whole club love him without condition.

To be honest I wish he was playing on, but it's not to be. Life isn't perfect eh?

He'll wind up playing 40 or 41 games for us and I'll consider him a great person for our club. Not with any disrespect for his Geelong days, but for what he did for us. It's been enormous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back